1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Simple green is AWESOME at cleaning interior panels!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple green is AWESOME at cleaning interior panels!

I've been working on a conversion to power locks and windows - finnally got the last pieces to my project being "new" interior door panels. I've been searching for a couple months on ebay and the local salvage yard (which is a pretty big operation) and FINNALLY found some panels! I was near the yard and thought to stop in again and they said they may have a pair - went out to the truck and was excited, then dismayed that they were in pretty rough looking shape. Black scuff marks, grease and grunge etc. One of the panels had a plastic hook "clip" on the back broken off. I figured I'd take them anyway, see what I could do cleaning them up and maybe use them until I could find better ones or afford new ones. Considering the condition they gave them to me for 65 dollars for the pair. Got them home and with some elbow grease and simple green they pretty much look NEW! The pull handles (found on 97-98) not latch handles were pretty blackened and looked scratched (supposed to be tan) but the simple green took all the nastiness away and the panels look amazing! No black or greasy marks, couple VERY minor scratches that you have to "find" to see. - I also used some two ton epoxy and woven fiberglass cloth and repaired the clip on the back to AT LEAST as strong as new - this I'm sure after lots of prying and tugging on the repaired clip. SOLID. Anyhow 65 bucks for the pair vs. $530 EACH at the dealer or ~$400 online - needless to say I was pretty excited about the outcome. Just thought I'd share the excitement. Simple green works AWESOME on interior panels, dashes, etc.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:03 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you man!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 AM
fdrf150
Junior User
Thumbs up

Awesome! I have to add that I too use simple green on a variety of things including cleaning my rubber "all weather" Ford floormats that have the grooves in them to hold water and after a couple months of winter those things get pretty nasty and the grey mats can start to look black but using simple green and a scrubbrush they look brand new when I get done with them.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 AM
montanafordman
Senior User
I've found it works great on vinyl floor too. I have the textured vinyl floor in my F150 and the dirt that settles in there doesn't wipe out - but if you get it wet and spray simple green on there - scrub it with a brush and suds it up a bit, then vacuum the suds right off with the dirt suspended in it - it'll make my 9 year old vinyl floor look shiny and jet black like the day it was new!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Watch Out Using Simple Green On Interior!!!!

WATCH OUT USING SIMPLE GREEN ON INTERIOR!!!!

I found this one out the hard way

Simple green is an excellent cleaner but DO NOT USE IT INSIDE YOUR VEHICLE!!

lemme set the stage.... My wife decided to wash my truck and her daddy's truck. we both get kinda dirty and leave greasy handprints on the door handles and anything else we touch. She cleaned our trucks inside and out. She used simple green to get the grease and grime off the interior.

She was so proud of herself, and she did a wonderful job!

this was during the summer time so the next day our trucks were parked out in the sun all day with the windows rolled up. my truck was at my house and her daddy's was at his house.

later in the afternoon, while mowing the grass, I saw something blocking my view through the tinted windows. upon closer look, I opened the door to find my headliner completely hanging down. the only other thing I noticed was the strong smell of simple green.

I talked to a few smart people and they figured that the fumes from the simple green, trapped in the truck with the windows rolled up on a hot day (85F) disolved the glue in the headliner.

Can you guess what happened to her daddy's truck?...... yup, same thing!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
YIKES!! Thats good to know! I guess the key is to leave it well ventilated and rinse what you wash pretty well.... Good to keep in mind though!