Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Elder User

tazo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
B20 @ 32 degrees

So it was 28 degrees out this morning was really worried about gelling. There was no problem and the truck started and ran fine. I was wondering what would be considered too cold for B20? Also I have to splash mix B99 with #2 diesel. How well does it mix? What I do is fill up with #2 diesel then drive a few miles to the bio diesel station and fill up the rest of the tank with B99. This is only my second tank with bio so I am new to all of this.
1999 EB expedition (Wife's)
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior User

diverseth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Last month i was in Asheville and it got down in the teens and my truck started up no problem just MUCH quieter. I was using B20 that I got from a Texaco station without any additive. It was my first time using BIO so I was a little nervous but my truck ran awsome in the BIO.
2006 F250 6.0 FX4 Lariat, CC/SB, Dk Stone, ProComp Xtreme AT 37 12.50 20,Quad Ballast HID Headlights, Python alarm w\remote start Eclipse AVN6600 Navigation,Sirius 10"rear Monitor and back-up camera, JLAudio Amps & Stealth box, Leer cap, 85,000+ miles on 5w40 Rotella. Coolant filter. SCT X3 By Innovative Diesel.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Elder User

MikeSDK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go to biodiesel.org and look for articles on cold weather performance. I am also running B20 exclusively, here in Nashville. It has gotten down to the high 20's, and I've had no issues..

If I remember correctly, I think I saw where B20 should be good to around 5* to 10* (may have read the graph wrong) without additive like Diesel Kleen.
Isspro EV A-pillar, AIS intake w/ fender sleeve, 5' exhaust, KCM HPX, Tru-Cool Max, BTS VB, RDP FRX, AIH delete, plenum inserts and boots, and Casserly Stage 1 Injectors, 38R and DP Tuner (live tuned) thanks to the gang at RRE 2012!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Elder User

tndiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSDK
Go to biodiesel.org and look for articles on cold weather performance. I am also running B20 exclusively, here in Nashville. It has gotten down to the high 20's, and I've had no issues..

If I remember correctly, I think I saw where B20 should be good to around 5* to 10* (may have read the graph wrong) without additive like Diesel Kleen.
I also live in Nashville, where do you get it in Nashville? I want to try some bio in my 7.3.
270K miles
New FLEX A LITE 32K GVWR Tranny cooler
New heater hose T made from nice Brass fittings
work in progress
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Elder User

Here is a link showing sites of filling stations in TN that carry bio:

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=TN

I generally get mine at the Shell station at the Long Hollow Pike exit (Hendersonville) on I-65 N....or, if I am near Brentwood / Franklin, the
Shell station at the Moore's Ln / Mallory Lane intersection also carries B20.

There are several other stations locally that carry it, but those are generally the ones that I am near most often.

Runs great!
Isspro EV A-pillar, AIS intake w/ fender sleeve, 5' exhaust, KCM HPX, Tru-Cool Max, BTS VB, RDP FRX, AIH delete, plenum inserts and boots, and Casserly Stage 1 Injectors, 38R and DP Tuner (live tuned) thanks to the gang at RRE 2012!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Elder User

Thanks for the info guys. I get a bit nervous with this truck. It seems to be extremely sensitive to change. The check engine light went on this morning. I will have to get my code reader and see whats going on.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Elder User

Guys, remember to be sensitive about changing your fuel filters frequently for a while after switching over to bio. It is a solvent, and will clean your fuel system of the crud #2 diesel leaves in there....and it ends up in the filter.

I changed mine at oil change intervals (@5000 miles) the first few times after I switched.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Elder User

http://nbb.grassroots.com/08Releases/cold/
Thought I would share this with everyone.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Postmaster

Fat Diesel is a splendid one to beholdFat Diesel is a splendid one to beholdFat Diesel is a splendid one to beholdFat Diesel is a splendid one to beholdFat Diesel is a splendid one to beholdFat Diesel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSDK
Guys, remember to be sensitive about changing your fuel filters frequently for a while after switching over to bio. It is a solvent, and will clean your fuel system of the crud #2 diesel leaves in there....and it ends up in the filter.

I changed mine at oil change intervals (@5000 miles) the first few times after I switched.
I didn't notice anything unusual when I started using BIO, but my fuel system is really, really clean as evidenced by NOTHING being in the tank after 100k miles.

BUT- I do notice my filter on my Dahl 100 pre-pump filter clogs faster on B99 than on #2. Not sure why, since there is a big ol filter right on the pump as it comes out...

I use a combination of my fuel pressure gauge in the cab and a vacuum gauge mounted between the filter and the pump to monitor the status of the filter. Pressure drops down to, oh about ZERO psi at WOT if I let it go too long!
Early 99 F250 PSD 4x4 CC 6spd Common Mods 300,000+ Miles, No longer driven daily
1964 Falcon Convert 289 Toploader 9" 4 Wheel Disks
Nov '10 Recipient: "dedicated report-back tech thread poster" award!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM