1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Project:10 Second F100

Old 01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
droppedf100
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks real good so far. The tires tucking in on the back picture with the bed on looks sick. I can't wait to see the whole truck at ride height. Might be doing ladder bars on my truck soon in preperation for Pinks. Either that or cal-tracs with a different shock mount set-up. I also want to see if I can move the mounting point up for the I-beams so I can lower it more in the front by cutting the springs without causing negative chamber. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by 77460ford
An already pricey hood became very expensive!
Here is a link for a full fiberglass cowl hood for 73-79 trucks. http://up22.com/ranger.htm

Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
http://up22.com/ranger.htm

NO!, NO!, NO!, NO!, Before you spend a cent please do some research on these guys and the problems with their hoods. This is the same company my friend had his nightmare with.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
mclaughlin31
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 77460ford
http://up22.com/ranger.htm

NO!, NO!, NO!, NO!, Before you spend a cent please do some research on these guys and the problems with their hoods. This is the same company my friend had his nightmare with.
Me too!!! Spent more money on fixing it then it cost to buy and ship to Maine. Customer service after the sale sucked!!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Colo79Ford
I just now noticed you guys are in Wyoming.. If you ever come into denver to race at Bandimere, and want a group of racers to hang out with while you are at the track / in town let me know. Im at Bandimere pretty much every friday, saturday, and special event sunday during racing season.

We had planned on coming down to Bandimere a few times this year since we haven't been up there in a while. It would be nice to meet some others up there and make it more often.

I think we are going to try and get up to Julesburg again this year..When we pick the day were going to go up there, ill let you know, incase you guys want to get out and race on the same day.

Went to Julesberg a couple times last year and had a great time. I really enjoy the bus starting light system. I don't know if the story holds water but I heard that they lost their NHRA sanctioning and weren't going to have anymore races. Do you ever come down to Douglas to race? They are trying to repave the track and talked to a few businesses that didn't know anything about it.

When it comes time to build your driveshaft give these guys a try, if you want it done in denver. Front Range Driveline. They are just south of HWY 285 (hampden) on Federal Blvd. The shop is operated by a very successful and respected racing family from Colorado. They do great work, and after the work they have done for me, i wouldnt recommend anyone else!!

Front range driveline is the Percivals right. I believe that they also race in Douglas quite frequently. I have heard that they do good work.

Didn't get much done this weekend but checked out some other racers progress. Worked on the roll cage a bit and looked into buying a 63.5 Galaxie 500.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
droppedf100
Elder User
Originally Posted by mclaughlin31
Me too!!! Spent more money on fixing it then it cost to buy and ship to Maine. Customer service after the sale sucked!!!!
I had no idea they had problems. Have been thinking about ordering on for awhile but was unsure about losing the sleeper look. I guess I made up my mind. What about these guys. Any horror stories? http://usbodysource.com/

Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by droppedf100
I had no idea they had problems. Have been thinking about ordering on for awhile but was unsure about losing the sleeper look. I guess I made up my mind. What about these guys. Any horror stories? http://usbodysource.com/
I guy that I race with runs a 73 f150 lwb has a US Body hood with cowl induction scoop. Haven't paid much attention to it but it appears to fit good and looks nice. He uses 4 hood pins to hold it down and he runs 12 flat at 110.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
73f100shorty
Junior User
Did you shorten your rear axle any if so how much if not what size tire do u run in the back
thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73f100shorty
Did you shorten your rear axle any if so how much if not what size tire do u run in the back
thanks
We shortened the rear axle 9 inches total. This give 1 inch to the frame and 1 inch to the box. We also had the shop center the pinion so the driveline would be straight instead of cocked to one side. It made the axles two different lengths but it keeps the driveline out of the exhaust because it was real tight before. We run 33X15X15 Goodyear Eagles on 15X15 Centerline Convo Pros.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Front Range Driveline is the Percivals...

I know that Julesburg DID have their NHRA sanctioning taken away for awhile. They have been re-instated ... the only restriction on the racing is that they cannot have A SINGLE car run faster than a 9.50 ET or their membership is no longer valid. The NHRA decided on the 9.50 because Julesburg does not have guardrail, or any kind of retaining walls on the sides of the track. They also, cannot install guardrail, or retaining walls because they utilize the julesburg airport, which is under the laws and guidelines of the FAA. The FAA will not allow guardrail or retaining walls on the airport "runway" grounds.

We have never been to Douglas, but i could see that happening this year. One of the guys in our club has 2 kids who will be going to WyoTech for awhile, one is already going, and the other starts sometime halfway thru the year.

Bandimere is now one of only 2 NHRA tracks in the USA to have a full concrete track. They tore up the asphalt that started at the 1/8th and replaced it all with fresh concrete. They also are designing a cooling/heating system to be laid under the launch pad, and first 80' of the track to provide consistent traction thru all temperature ranges.

Heres a video of my daily driver, and tow rig. 1979 f-250 4x4 with a 400 and a c6. 7.9:1 compression baby!!LOL I think ive gone thru 3 different race cars, but I dont see any way im selling the truck. Fastest was 14.321, slow, but better than the 18.9 it started at 3 years ago.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=24104903

Forgot i dont have it on youtube, but try to copy and paste that link

Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Colo79Ford
Front Range Driveline is the Percivals...

I know that Julesburg DID have their NHRA sanctioning taken away for awhile. They have been re-instated ... the only restriction on the racing is that they cannot have A SINGLE car run faster than a 9.50 ET or their membership is no longer valid. The NHRA decided on the 9.50 because Julesburg does not have guardrail, or any kind of retaining walls on the sides of the track. They also, cannot install guardrail, or retaining walls because they utilize the julesburg airport, which is under the laws and guidelines of the FAA. The FAA will not allow guardrail or retaining walls on the airport "runway" grounds.

That is good news. I like to run at Julesberg because they run the opposite weekend as Douglas. I don't have anything that will run close to 9.50 so I will be there.

We have never been to Douglas, but i could see that happening this year. One of the guys in our club has 2 kids who will be going to WyoTech for awhile, one is already going, and the other starts sometime halfway thru the year.

You should come check out Douglas. It is somewhere between Bandimere and Julesbuerg as far as facilities go. Seems to run a bit smooter now and there are usually about 100-150 cars so you can get quite a few runs.

Bandimere is now one of only 2 NHRA tracks in the USA to have a full concrete track. They tore up the asphalt that started at the 1/8th and replaced it all with fresh concrete. They also are designing a cooling/heating system to be laid under the launch pad, and first 80' of the track to provide consistent traction thru all temperature ranges.

I read about the track when I was trying to look up how to get my truck on pinks all out. Didn't see that part about the heating/cooling but I heard they used radiant water heat? If that is the case, they could use the track year around if it didn't snow/rain, etc.

Heres a video of my daily driver, and tow rig. 1979 f-250 4x4 with a 400 and a c6. 7.9:1 compression baby!!LOL I think ive gone thru 3 different race cars, but I dont see any way im selling the truck. Fastest was 14.321, slow, but better than the 18.9 it started at 3 years ago.

Nice pass for 4X4 with a 400. Our truck originally ran 15.15 all day and couldn't be beat. Gradually went from 15 to 14's and then to 13 flat and 11.90's. Looking for tens with alot of motor/big spray kit.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by mwvdub

Our truck originally ran 15.15 all day and couldn't be beat. Gradually went from 15 to 14's and then to 13 flat and 11.90's. Looking for tens with alot of motor/big spray kit.
Your best shot at staying informed on the pinks all out drama is to join up on ColoradoDragRacing.Com . Rumor has it that Bandimere reserved 25 entries. The 25 entries are 'said' to be prizes thru out the year of racing. Anyone could be awarded an entry to pinks all out at random from anything as simple to a door prize at the racer expo on Feb 21st at the denver west holiday in, to winning a race, leading in points a random week, having the first perfect light of the year, perfect run, this is all heresay...but nice to hope.

If i 'just happen' to hear when , how, and where registration will happen, ill let you know as soon as i hear about it.

How much do you figure your truck weighs? Hopefully the truck stays as consistant in the 10's as it did in the 15's...

We are lucky, Larry Crispe, the track manager at Bandimere is nothing short of a genius. The ideas that he has about track maintenance and safety are one thing, but he has the innovation and desire to make all of his ideas reality. The racing surface is like his first kid...Its amazing..

Last edited by Colo79Ford; 01-14-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 PM
mwvdub
Posting Guru

I was thinking about driving down for the racer expo to see if I could get a shot. I know from experience that when people from denver and colorado for that matter do something they do it 100% so I am not holding my breath about getting an entry. I think that the show in Denver is going to be one of the biggest ever because Coloradans seem to be very passionate about everything that they do and I think that is great and I will still come down to watch even if I can't enter.

I read on the website that they considered doing online registration for PInks but the last time they tried, it filled 400 slots in 12 minutes.

Before all the work this year the truck weighed 3820 on a certified CAT scale. So about 4020 with a driver. I think that the ladder bar suspension is a bit lighter than the springs. We also got aluminum heads and gutted all the interior so maybe a bit lighter but still a lead sled. Would like to eventually get a US Body Race Weight cab that only weighs 50 lbs but that is a ways off.

When is the first race of the season? I haven't been able to find much on their website and would like to come check out the new track. I am also glad to hear that Bandimere's and Mr. Crispe are determined to make it the premiere NHRA track.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by mwvdub

I was thinking about driving down for the racer expo to see if I could get a shot. I know from experience that when people from denver and colorado for that matter do something they do it 100% so I am not holding my breath about getting an entry.

Bandimere originally tried to get it in the agreement for PINKS registration to be open to onyl bandimere registered racers. The pinks 'crew' didnt like the idea of not having thier preferred racers in attendance, and told bandimere no.

I think that the show in Denver is going to be one of the biggest ever because Coloradans seem to be very passionate about everything that they do and I think that is great and I will still come down to watch even if I can't enter.

Almost 400 street legal race cars show up every friday night that there is a race. Half of these cars run 13's or faster. This is just the 'regular' racers.

I read on the website that they considered doing online registration for PInks but the last time they tried, it filled 400 slots in 12 minutes.

Can we say "Colorado Rockies World Series Tickets"?

Before all the work this year the truck weighed 3820 on a certified CAT scale. So about 4020 with a driver. I think that the ladder bar suspension is a bit lighter than the springs. We also got aluminum heads and gutted all the interior so maybe a bit lighter but still a lead sled. Would like to eventually get a US Body Race Weight cab that only weighs 50 lbs but that is a ways off.

4000 pounds... You can do it. Sure beats a 5,680 pound 4x4..lol

When is the first race of the season? I haven't been able to find much on their website and would like to come check out the new track. I am also glad to hear that Bandimere's and Mr. Crispe are determined to make it the premiere NHRA track.

The first tenative test and tech is April 12th. Then tests the 19th, 20th and 23rd. First Friday night race is the 25th of April, First sat race is the 26th, and then the street machine showdown is the 26th. After that its time to change the drivers license to list Bandimere as the summer home.
Took me a minute to figure out i have to type something outside of your quote for it to post.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 AM
mwvdub
Posting Guru
What time do these night races start? This I am interested in. I come down to Denver about 2 Fridays a month anyway and would like to come watch.

I didnt have any luck with the Rockies tickets either.

Colo79Ford,

I think that we should have the truck ready by early april and would like to get some warm up laps in before Douglas opens. Last year their test and tune was at the end of may. I think that we are going to need a new ring and pinion so I would like to find out about that before points races in Dougas. Currently running 5.13 gears with 33X15X15 eagles. Last year it ran about 6200 rpm at the traps but got word that the cam was keeping the rpm low since it was designed for a 500 inch+ motor.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Colo79Ford
Elder User
From what i seem to remember from the last few years, the Quaker State ET series races, friday nights, gates open at 4 or 5, time trials start right after, and elims start after time trials, usually the actual racing starts around 6:30 or 7.

The club clash (all street legal, licensed, and insured cars) is the other friday night series, gates open generally from 3-3:30, time trials soon after. time trials are limited to 1 or 0 for late comers due to the unreal turnout of cars for the event. Racing tries to start by 6, and can last allll night.

Last year i was at bandimere until 2 in the morning 3 times, and until 3 in the morning once. They do have a curfew of 11pm for ET series (open exhaust) and midnight for Club Clash (closed exhaust) but there were a few times they just stopped using the PA system and still let the cars run way over curfew. The morrison police didnt like this much, but the racers did.

Im sure you have done the math to figure out your gearing / max rpm / tire diameter. I could see having to go to a lower gear depending on the RPM you will be able to run.

Bandimere has a tentative schedule up now on thier website. bandimere.com . Click on the 'event schedule' on the left hand side and you can go thru month by month and see every race they have planned so far. If you would like, when i go to the racer expo in Feb i can pick up an extra 2008 schedule and rule book. The rule book has all of the class 'et breaks' aswell as starting times, gate opening times, pit rules, etc. I could mail it out to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project:10 Second F100