1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone added the backup camera yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
alright, got this install done using OEM 2009 mirror and 2011 camera. 50% custom wiring though.

The power/ground/reverse trigger were all there already from the factory auto-dim mirror. Just had to run a video -/+ wire to the cab.

I think I'm into this for $370 total. It's a very worthwhile mod IMO. I'll do a DIY Install Thread in a few days. I'm waiting on a connector to arrive in the mail so I can clean up the wires at the mirror.

pictures later today when the weather clears

Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 AM
erniek70
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what if factory nav in dash, but no camera?

what if the factory original nac screen is installed, but there is not back-up camera. What then, is req'd, to install, and ensure it works propery. Just the rear camera, and wiring, and latch? Is radio already ready? Would cab wiring not be req'd?

Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
Guys, here are the part numbers for the minimum # of components you'll need to install the camera into a vehicle that doesn't have one---

These numbers don't contain the prefixes or suffixes (ie, xxxx-19G940A-xx for the camera) but any competent Ford Parts employee should be able to look these up for you.

14B562 Rear Wiring Harness for Camera
14334 Cab/Roof Wiring Harness
17700 Electrochromatic Mirror w/Video
19G940A Rear Video Camera
99431B82 Tailgate Latch Handle for Rear Video Camera

It will be necessary to purchase both the 14B562 and 14334 wiring harnesses, as pigtail connectors are not available for either of these components.

I will first say that this should NOT be attempted without at least moderate knowledge in basic wiring.

I've uploaded the wiring diagrams to our website, please click at the bottom of the post. You will need to download the Adobe SVG Viewer to see the files (and you'll have to be using Internet Explorer too, they won't open on Mozilla Firefox). Also, opening these files may trigger blocked content and some errors; just OK all the errors and authorize the blocked content warning.

It really isn't feasible to try to use ALL factory wiring, since there are about 12 different harnesses that would have to be changed depending on build date and configuration of the truck.

The Video + and Video - signals from the camera at the tailgate need to be connected to the mirror screen. If you already have the electrochromatic mirror, the to video connections and the corresponding ground (you can ground it anywhere) will be all that's needed to connect to the mirror itself. If you only have the basic mirror, you will need to connect a switched hot power source to the mirror along with the compass + and - connections out of the back of the instrument cluster----

The compass wires are- Blue w/Grey Stripe for the positive
Grey w/Blue Stripe for the negative
Simply tap into these wires at the back of the instrument cluster, route, and connect to the mirror.

As for the camera itself, you will need to route the Video + and Video - wires (white/green and brown/violet) from the camera at the tailgate to the mirror inside. The camera will also need a switched hot power source (you can use the same one as used for the mirror if preferred- just make sure it is fused high enough for both) and a ground out of pin 6 of the connector. The other black wire at the camera connector is the video shield (do NOT get the ground and shield wire crossed up- reference the connector pinout I linked to). This wire needs to run the full length of the video + and - wires, but will connect to nothing at the end, so just tape it up before the mirror.

The last connection will be the reverse lamp relay connection to the mirror; which will activate the screen itself when the truck is put into reverse. The easiest place to tap into this is from the Green/Brown wire coming from the back of the Battery Junction Box under the dash, behind the reverse lamp relay (see associated link for the diagram).

It would be far too detailed to try to explain the proper routing of the wires- common sense will be needed here. They simply have to reach from the mirror, through the interior, to the frame rail and to the rear of the truck. The wiring MUST be routed through the holes in the hinge pins on the tailgates to avoid damage to the wiring as the tailgate opens and closes.

Here are the links to the wiring diagrams:

Battery Junction Box Diagram

Reverse Camera Reverse Lamp Relay

Reverse Camera Wiring Diagram

Rear Video Camera Connector Plug Pinout