1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

80-86 SuperCab Duallys - Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
80-86 SuperCab Duallys - Where are they?

I'm not having any luck with this one. I'm looking for a 7th Gen SuperCab long-bed dually to pull a trailer/haul a truck camper... They seem to be almost non-existant (gave up finding one with four-wheel drive), though I have seen a few 2WD ones. There are crewcab's a-plenty, but no SuperCabs. Seems like everything I like is rare as hen's teeth.

Leads me to the question: anybody on here have one? Not even for sale, just owns one... to give me hope? I don't think there is any sheet that shows production numbers anywhere so maybe you guys can give me an idea how many are left? Am I better off looking for a regular SC 4x4 long-bed and swapping a dually rear under it... possibly building fenders out of 7th gen Flareside fenders?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IIRC the supercab was not offered as a dually in the 80-86 model range, just reg cab and crew cab DRW.
I worked at a ford dealer back when the 6.9L came out, and if memory serves me right, the SC was only available in SRW configuration. This didn't sit well with some customers.
There were aftermarket suppliers that used adapters to convert a SRW SC into a DRW, but the adapters *could* be very problematic.
That said, if you happen to find a DRW SC, be sure to check it out real good, in case it's been done with wheel adapters.
I'm not sure if the DRW 4x4 used the same wheels f/r back in this gen. Most DRW 4x4's I've seen had the standard front wheels and dual rears.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Oh, for the record, the strangest critter I believe I ever saw was a "Super-Crew" DRW truck. It was an 85 or 86 diesel 4 speed that was a combination crew cab/super cab. It had the supercab extention added to the back of a crewcab.
The guy who owned it used it to deliver new travel trailers all over the country.
Reminded me of a song the first time I saw it, "gimme 40 acres, and I'll turn this rig around".........
Had to have been a custom aftermarket build.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Oh, for the record, the strangest critter I believe I ever saw was a "Super-Crew" DRW truck. It was an 85 or 86 diesel 4 speed that was a combination crew cab/super cab. It had the supercab extention added to the back of a crewcab.
The guy who owned it used it to deliver new travel trailers all over the country.
Reminded me of a song the first time I saw it, "gimme 40 acres, and I'll turn this rig around".........
Had to have been a custom aftermarket build.
Heh, sounds like a Centurion deal...

That makes for a very long rig.

I have a picture of a couple:

So, these would be an aftermarket setup and not like a dealer conversion?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
The bottom (red) one certainly looks to have adapters on it, look at the rear hub. It also has a later model bed on it. The front lockouts are also recessed slightly, makes me suspect adapters there too.
I'm not saying that Ford didn't build any, but back in 85 I was told they didn't offer a DRW SC from the factory. I left the dealership before 86 models started arriving.

Yep, that centurian is very similar, but the one I was refering to was built from an 85, with the split style rear windows. I don't think I would want to drive one of those around town.........

Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That red one has a newer bed on it,so i'd be suspicious of that one.

I don't see why it would be so hard to convert one of these trucks to DRW if you have a Longbed Single or Crew Cab Dually handy for the parts.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
That red one has a newer bed on it,so i'd be suspicious of that one.

I don't see why it would be so hard to convert one of these trucks to DRW if you have a Longbed Single or Crew Cab Dually handy for the parts.
Wouldn't be any trick to converting one, other than needing 2 trucks to begin with......

Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Kylet8020
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Ford Bronco Centurion thought this was the Centurion deal.
but this guy clams its a bronco/truck...

Old 08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Kylet8020
1993 Ford Bronco Centurion thought this was the Centurion deal.
but this guy clams its a bronco/truck...
Centurion I know is famous for the 4 door Bronco, but they did crew cab trucks as well... and I've even seen a SuperCab Centurion (guy around here has a blue '89 with the graphics and custom wood interior).

Old 08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
Wouldn't be any trick to converting one, other than needing 2 trucks to begin with......
Good call on the rear fenders and the hubs. I must have gotten excited and overlooked it.

Hmmm... How hard do you guys think it would be to swap a DRW axle into a SRW Supercab 4x4 truck? Provided it is an F350 to begin with, wouldn't you just have to swap the axle (matched gear set), springs, perches and have a a driveshaft made? It can't be too hard to take a Flareside fender, fill the front where the side step would go, fab in a rear filler door (I have two sets of fenders to play with) and bolt it on... Now I'm thinking, and that's not good...

Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I wolnd not narrow your search to just a f350.. look for f250 supercabs. There were a lot more of them and there is no real differance other than the badge on the fender.

As for using flairside fenders on a regular pickup bed.it willl not work. A flairside bed has smooth sides whille a reg bed has contoured sides

Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I wolnd not narrow your search to just a f350.. look for f250 supercabs. There were a lot more of them and there is no real differance other than the badge on the fender.

As for using flairside fenders on a regular pickup bed.it willl not work. A flairside bed has smooth sides whille a reg bed has contoured sides
That's what I thought, but I thought F250's used something like a full-float Dana 60 whereas the F350 could be had with ether that or a Dana 70...? Excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning about the heavy trucks (I'm used to 1/2 tons).

I am aware that the Flareside and Dually fenders are different, however it seems they could be made to work and look original with minor bodywork. I don't have a regular long-bed in front of me to mock up, so it's speculation on my part... Like I said, I have a two pairs to play with.

An F250 would actually work out better; I want to find an automatic big block truck to do these modifications. Most of the F350's I've found have the 6.9 IDI, and I have little-to-no experience working on Diesels (and I have a 429 I'm putting together that would just love to find it's way in there ).

Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Dimitri.c
Junior User
I would actually go with the 6.9 idi. in my experience really easy to work on and practically bullet proof. Power stroke guys will say they aren't any good for towing. But people did tow before the turbo diesels came out in the consumer market. Just my $.02. any one think the same?

and if I were you (which I'm not) I would hook my self up with a SRW 6.9 then keep my eye out for a dually from this year being parted out or in a junk yard to swap in the DRW axle. Sometime it takes patience with these things. I'm still in a hunt for a reasonably priced tail gate and a bed was so hard to find I've done/am doing alot of body work and welding to restore mine.

Good luck and happy hunting.

-Dimitri

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Where in the world would you find a super crew cab for sale?! I love that so much, I'm having a hard enough time trying to find a crew cab dually, especially ones that are not diesels. Are all the Ford diesels V8's? I know nothing about diesels, would just assume a inline 6 one would produce more low end torque. Hm would how hard it would be to turn a stepside into a dually? I really want a crew cab dually 4x4 with a 460, but right now I will settle for any pickup, I need one and no longer have one to use, it sucks. You know how hard it is hauling a big block in the trunk of a Falcon with a 144

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
If you want to build a 4x4 dually, stick with a 85.5 and up f350. Not because of the rear axle(you will be swapping that for a dually one anyway) but because of the front axle. It will be a solid dana 60.

So the minimum you will need is a f350 4x4 SRW truck, and the f350 DRW rearend, 6 DRW wheels, and 2 Ford front adapters to fit the DRW type wheels on the front.

Quick Reply: 80-86 SuperCab Duallys - Where are they?