Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'93 5.0 mustang engine into my '94 bronco

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 AM
'94Nichols
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there's a new pic in my gallery, i can't figure out how to post it. its a pipe on the back of the block. can i take it apart and plug it? what does it do, do i need it?

Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
'94Nichols
Senior User
any help here guys?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Ok- motor is in and will fire up, we have had it running twice. Not for extended amounts, maybe 30 seconds or so apiece. Tries now to fire up- (everything is now completely rassembeled and topped off with fluids) but just can't quite seem to get it. I was trying to start it so as to belch the air out of the cooling system, and fine tune the timing. Just an odd thought I tried the later firing order- way worse. So I know that's not it. We dropped the dizzy in at tdc with it pointing to number one on the cap. It was dead on perfect- I won't be convinced otherwise. We put a timing chain in it and had not turned the motor over at all. The two times it ran before I had used the wear spots for the hold down bolt for a good starting point, but that was the old motor (newer firing order). Someone left the key on acces. all night, and 94Nichols had to go to work, so we put the charger on the battery and quit. I thought it would be a good time to throw up a post and see if anyone else has any ideas? I do not know the newer motors at all- I know how to work on the pre-computer, carbed stuff. I am reasonably sure that every thing got reassembled the way it came apart, that which needed repair got it. Anyone?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Well now- I guess I'm the stupid one. We got it to run and idle on it's own. Not very well, but on it's own. Checked the timing- 10 degress BTDC with the spout unplugged. Checked for vacuum leaks with a can of ether-none. Ah-what the hell-try that other firing order and see what happens. purs like a kitten. WTF!?!?!? 93 mustang motor should have the earlier firing order, but it doesn't. Even wierder, why would it run on the earlier firing order but not even close on the later firing order when we fired it up the first time? Oh well- never look a gift horse in the mouth I guess. Thanks to all who helped!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the cam will dictate the firing order so if it had been swapped out at some point that might be a reason, also a 93 5.0 should share same firing order as a 5.8 if i recall. glad you guys got it running. you didnt move any injector wiring right??

Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
'94Nichols
Senior User
thanks guys. and no, we left the injectors. i think they changed the firing order in mid '94. i think mine was an early 94 with the early 302/351 firing order. so it makes sense now as to why the firing orders are the same for my old/new motor. it runs and sounds great now! cfrives told me haas an idea to get some more power out of it today. he wouldnt tell me what, but i hope it works. im thinking about upgrades now. what is the most bang for my buck for low-end torque? cold air intake? headers? any i deas are welcome. thanks again guys!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:23 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I wanted to bump up his timing just a little bit for a little more oomph. I didn't want him to do it without my help. This is his first motor whereas I have done a few. I bumped up the timing on my 5.8 HO but it also has a cam, intake, dual exhaust, and the carb has been tweaked a little too. I figured that his would be ok around 14, but we played with it and drove it and left it at 18. It runs really good, no pinging or popping at all. The other thing I was worried about is when you bump up the timing, especially that much, it can make the motor crank slow and be a little tough on the starter. It cranks right up with no hesitation, and runs great so we'll see how it runs for a week or so and then make some adjustments if needed.

As far as upgrades go, I was thinking new injectors, and now that it has a little better cam (from what I understand), maybe an upgrade over stock injectors? In my limited experience with injectors on my diesel motor, I know that the springs inside determine the "pop off" psi, and that the orifice sizes can be changed as well. Knowing how into it alot of you guys are, I was wondering if someone could suggest a good brand, spec, or something in our search for injectors? Does anyone know the specs of the bronco injectors and the stang injectors?

Someone mentioned 1.7 rockers- What would be the advantage? Would this mod require more than just changing the rockers?

One thing we have to keep in mind though, is the fact that this motor has 90k+ miles on it. I don't want to speed up it's demise. Let's face it-the boy likes mud, but the motor is gonna work for it.

Just a couple thoughts I had cause I know now that he has it back, running better than when he got it, he's gonna want more!

Last edited by cfrives3; 02-04-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
If you got a 5.0 with the 15426378 firing order you don't have a HO, just a plane jane 5.0 from a Crown Vic or something. To confirm look for a capital letter cast into the top front corner of one of the cylinder heads near the valve cover, if it's an S you don't have a HO.
Longtube headers are the only way to get a bit more torque out of the 5.0, 1.7 rockers will help it breath better as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
It ended up being the 13726548 firing order, and the guy I guess had said it was a stang motor. How much are those rockers for a set?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:41 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfrives3
It ended up being the 13726548 firing order, and the guy I guess had said it was a stang motor. How much are those rockers for a set?
You also don't want to just slap the 1.7 rocker on there. you would want change out the valve springs as well. From what I have read, the stock springs can almost coil bing when just swapping rockers.

Also, I wouldn't mess with bigger injectors, unless you want to get a custom chip for it. The engine will run pig rich with bigger injectors.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
the stock springs can almost coil bing when just swapping rockers.

Could you explain what you mean here?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM
s1120
Senior User
Originally Posted by cfrives3
the stock springs can almost coil bing when just swapping rockers.

Could you explain what you mean here?
The longer rockers[or a aftermarket cam with more lift] moves the valve farther down into the cyl. Well the stock springs are set up for a cirten ammont of travel. What happands, is the valve opens farther [compresing the spring] and if it opens to far, the spring wires/coils touch. That binds the valve train, becouse the rocker is still trying to open the valve, but the spring cant compress any more, becouse the coils are together. That causes broken, and/or bent parts.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by s1120
The longer rockers[or a aftermarket cam with more lift] moves the valve farther down into the cyl. Well the stock springs are set up for a cirten ammont of travel.
This is a valid concern and it's ALWAYS a good idea to verify clearances when altering the valvetrain. However.. if this motor is all stock then there will be no issue adding 1.7 rockers, the springs will handle about 0.500" lift and there's no danger of piston to valve interferance as the pistons in the HO motor have valve reliefs. With the stock cam and 1.7 rockers total valve lift will be 0.471", this is a very popular bolt-on for the stang crowd.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 AM
s1120
Senior User
This is true Paul. In a HO motor it will be fine[well as long as the springs are not all sacked out] I had to clearance the pistons a bit on my HO motor, but I was also running .544 ;ift, and 1.94/1.60 valves.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
'94Nichols
Senior User
thanks for the ideas guys. what are the biggest injectors i can run with the 1.7 lifters?
what else should i do to optomise the effect of these upgrades? headers, i assume, but what about a hotter coil? i have a set of taylor spyro pro 10.409 wires on it that my neighbor had from when he worked there. what needs to be done to make these add to the performance of my motor, in addition to just looking good?

Quick Reply: '93 5.0 mustang engine into my '94 bronco