1965 Mercury 390 comeback

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1965 Mercury 390 comeback

Or maybe not ? LOL... cant really tell just yet. So far got the exh manis off with only 2 busted bolts... not bad really lol both on the same head. Today the dizzy was finally removed (casting in 2 pieces).. Managed to get valve train off without error. Intake popped off fine but took the left jewel with it.. then the lifters were a real pain.. 5 were really hard to remove.. ended up installing the cam gear and using the cam to return them after manually seating them several times... finally got the lot out. Cam was sticky but came out without tooo much trouble.. However there are rust chia pets on a few of the lobes so ?? Probably history... Crank still wont turn at the snout.. even with the main caps loose.. dropped 4/8 pistons and need to manage a rotation to get any more out. The 4/8 rod bearings showed some fine scoring. probably the rotation via flywheel...?? Things look pretty bleak at the moment.. we'll see how it goes... not sure what can be salvaged at this point... Tomorrows another day...

Old 11-21-2007, 10:38 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This mystery motor story is getting worse the deeper you go inside, what's the condition of the valve seats on the exhaust side?
Size or the intake runners up down?
Lifter bore condition?

Old 11-22-2007, 05:43 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the rod and main bearings? Are they std or undersize? And what bore size is the block? Pistons should be marked "STD, .010" etc..

Old 11-22-2007, 06:09 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

I still think it was just left out in the rain without any cover on it....Hopefully the block and heads arent cracked and the crank can be turned,

What I dont understand is the Dizzy casting being crack and coming out in 2 pieces??

RJ

Old 11-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
you would if you saw me remove it LOL.. needed to drive it up from beneath. Used a 3' length of 1" pipe inder the bowl. Probably should have flipped her back over and used a small drift on the shaft end. Didnt want to make amess inside though... I get a pict later..

Old 11-22-2007, 08:46 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

LOL, Bob..... well your getn Er done allright...... Dont tell me the cam gear was frooze to the dizzy gear?? Didnt you say it had a set of C4AE-G's heads on it? and we know the Pent roof Rocker cover are worth a buck or 2.....

I hope there's a good end to this story!!

RJ

Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Take all the main caps off and try to remove as many of the bearings as you can. Use a small punch to tap them as far as you. If they wont come out by hand, spray some PB and work them back/forth until you can get them out. This should help free things up a bit more.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
I had a freebie 390 with the Performer intake and dizzy as a solid white hunk of aluminum, ended up pulling the intake with dizzy as a unit. Drilled out the dizzy and saved the intake after bead blasting it. Made $100 off the Performer.
Ya might get lucky and have some useable parts when your done, post some pictures of this award winning show motor.
T-day to all.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Here you go Carl.. your 2009 Noble Prize winner lol

the album link:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...20%20FE%20390/

Yeah Russ.. there was enough there to be happy about 100.00, in looking at it after the teardown now.. I think it will be ok.. the#8 hole is the worst of it.. sure it's going to need a overbore. We'll see how much later today hopefully.. time for some bier (as Carl says) and a little sleepy bird.. Only the oil galley plugs/cam bearings/plug left before a religous cleansing!!!!

Most of what is no good was planned to be replaced anyhow.

No luck with a 428 crank at PYP but did get replacement rocker assemblies for this one off a 71 F100 with D2 heads...and got a stock jack for 4.50

Maybe we'll take a drive in the am and see what another yard has on hand....or not.. rest is so appealing...

Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
There ya go taking apart a perfectly good running motor and why?
Nothing a good hot tanking can take care of, looks like no rust on the valve stems and springs for a easy head disassembly. What do the combustion chambers look like?
Now you need a 428 crank and aluminum intake as you already have the heads if they're good for a nice 414 build, you'll like a 414 motor.
Thanks for posting photos.

Today I was to clean up for reassembly my sons BMW differential, wife said no smelly gear lube hands at the inlaws house. Oh well i'll have to start drinking instead.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Carl......tell the wifey that greasy gear lube works in other area's too !!!! LOL...

You know the Old saying....Once you get past the smell you have it Licked !!!!

RJ

Old 11-22-2007, 10:04 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
We she's already PO'ed at me anyway.
Had a great dinner with the inlaws driving home nice and happy just going on the exit ramp from 65 mph and some POS in a POS Buick cuts across my front end at app 80 mph to get the same exit and almost wrecks me. I laid on the 34" airhorn then this idiot locks 'em up and comes at me in reverse while I have a line of traffic behind me coming off the highway.
Then this idiot nails it running from me, ha ha this I can't let go so I give a little chase. Mind you this is a LandRover Discovery 5 speed with a replacement 4.6 vs 3.9 litre, cam, chip, headers, ported with wider than stock tires and rims. There are 190% and 230% stiffer swaybars plus full time all wheel drive. Wife hasn't been in it while doing 4 wheel drifting before. She has now.
Chased that idiot around 5 blocks until he drifted into a curb busting a right front off with a lot of coolant leaking. I drove by and gave him his just honk and finger salute. Surprised the wife big time now she's po'ed. I feel better.
Had to vent sorry.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
ROFLMAO!!! thats the perfect cherry on a Thanksgiving fudge sunday!!! LMAO!!! right on!!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 AM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Years ago with dad we raced Porsche's in SCCA Autocross. I set up the 69 long flair side to try and do the same for a few years hence wasting those can't hurt 'em 435 boxes, I did.
Just still in my blood what can I say?
The cool thing I purchased a 87 325is BMW for my 16 year old son, gave him a few hands on throttle steer turns with hands off the steering wheel at the old Navy base in town, Toyo's about shot anyway. The local police have a cone course set up we enjoyed. He about Pooed his pants as he follows Porsche road racing but he has no seat time.
With the limited slip needing a new tighter clutch pack of 40% and bearings
we had fun before rebuilding the differential, just don't tell mom.
I'll dig up a road course run you'll enjoy tomorrow on a friend of a friends
928 water cooled V8 Porsche if I can find it again.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:40 AM
FFR428
Needsmorecoffee.

Wow Carl nothing like a good chase after dinner!!

Quick Reply: 1965 Mercury 390 comeback