Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Funny story

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 PM
lupe803
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Funny story

Hey guys, how are you all doing?? Well, check out what happen to me yesterday. I went fishing with a friend of mine on my boat to Decker lake for the first time. My boat is a 22 ft pontoon with a 90 hp mercury outboard 2-stroke, it runs about 28 mph loaded . Anyways, we got there and put the boat in, it started up good, pulled out of the dock and off we went. Cruising about 20 mph for about 10 minutes, I saw the gauges dim, all of them. I wondered is it the battery? So I changed to the other battery and no change. Then the motor began to misfire and then stalled. I tried to start it again and nothing, would not turn over. I looked back at the motor and yikes, it was smoking. I ran back to it and saw a small fire inside the cover. I got my extinguisher and put it out. I had disconnected the batteries too. So now we are sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights on the boat. So, I connect the batteries on again just to turn on the nav.lights at least. After about a minute or two, I looked back and saw the motor catch fire again. I dissconnected the battery and soaked the motor with the extinguisher. I now know I have an electrical problem with my boat. So, I started to call peeps that I know have boats and all of them gone for vacation. After about an hour, one of them called back and said he was on his way to get me. Yep, I got towed by a boat from the lake. So, did I do some fishing? On the way back to the dock as we were going troll speed, I did. I got some pix of the damage, pretty cool. When i got home, I just put everything away, had a drink and went to bed. This morning, I looked at my paperwork from when I bought my boat and am super glad I had bought the extended warranty for it. So, I cleaned it up and put it back together again and will take it in on Tuesday so that they can fix it. Just wanted to let you guys know I made it back alive. Have a good holiday, be safe.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
A bad day fishing is always better then a good day working.
At least no one was hurt!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM
huitt24
Senior User
Hate to here that. I have a 25' pontoon with a 115 merc and I had a ignition switch short out and drained the batteries and killed the engine when I had my whole family and parents on the boat. Didnt get a fire but it was heck getting the boat back to shore and on the trailer with the motor trimmed all the way down. Fortunetly it was still in warranty. Hope everything turns out for ya.

Oh and when you get it fixed we need to head out this coming summer and float around.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Lupe, I'm gonna say probably not one person stopped to help that was on the lake either did they? That's the reason I'll never go back to Decker. When I first bought my boat, I went to Decker cause it was close. Had problems, and NO ONE stopped. I was waving like mad and at least 3 people passed looking straight at me. Once I drifted close enough to shore, I pulled the boat as close as I could and tied off. Walked half way around the lake to the boat ramp to get a battery out of my truck. Walked all the way back started the boat and got to the ramp. All the while people looking at me. Not one offer for help. SCREW DECKER LAKE!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
lupe803
Junior User
Sounds like a plan Huitt, i usually go to travis and hit the smaller coves and chill there with the family.
Yep, you are right rubberduck, no one even looked at us. But i have been wanting to try that lake, since i havent gone there.
I will take the boat in tomorrow and see what happens with the warranty. thanks...