1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Diesel Additive

Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Additive

Whats A Good Winter Additive For Diesels. What About Marvel Mystery Oil.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:04 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PAVEMENTMAN
Whats A Good Winter Additive For Diesels. What About Marvel Mystery Oil.
Here is a study done on diesel fuel additives, stay away from marvel mystery oil and diesel kleen IMO, you can see their performance is substandard. I personnaly use the number two additive. this test is an industry standard also posted are some links to other conversations on the topic

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...additives.html

Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by bkcowboss
Here is a study done on diesel fuel additives, stay away from marvel mystery oil and diesel kleen IMO, you can see their performance is substandard. I personnaly use the number two additive. this test is an industry standard also posted are some links to other conversations on the topic

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...additives.html
I skimmed a lot of the info cause there was so much. But am I right in saying it's best to run 5% bio and 95% regular diesel blend? If so now I have to find out where to get some.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
yeah all the good stuff is right in the beginning, I have put a lot of research into this subject over the last year, I had injectors on the way out, and wanted to find out why, started using good lubrication in my fuel and ran hot shot secrets in my oil, I now have 20,000 miles on two injectors that "may not get you home" The ULSD does not lubricate well.

I currently run Optilube XPD, works good I ordered it from their website
http://www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm

the biodiesel is good for lubrication, but may not do as well as others for winterizing fuel, you have to balance all considerations, the link that I posted was for wear reduction and lubrication only.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by bkcowboss
yeah all the good stuff is right in the beginning, I have put a lot of research into this subject over the last year, I had injectors on the way out, and wanted to find out why, started using good lubrication in my fuel and ran hot shot secrets in my oil, I now have 20,000 miles on two injectors that "may not get you home" The ULSD does not lubricate well.

I currently run Optilube XPD, works good I ordered it from their website
http://www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm

the biodiesel is good for lubrication, but may not do as well as others for winterizing fuel, you have to balance all considerations, the link that I posted was for wear reduction and lubrication only.
There are some stations close to me that sell B20. Is that good for my 7.3? I just want to try and do good for this engine to make it last.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I would run Bio if it was available, Unfortunately most of my research has been in to additives for the fuel though, as Bio is not an option yet for me. As far as I have seen though Bio is an excellent lubricant, and there is nothing in our trucks that are adversely affected, I have heard that you want to change yur filter after the first tank or two as the bio cleans out your fuel system, but that is recalled heresay, take it for what it is worth.

For Pave...as for winter additives, IMO you do not need to worry about winterizing your fuel unless

A. you purchased fuel in the summer and it is in a farm tank
B. You are heading north from a warm climate to a cold climate
C. You filled up your truck in Sep and are not going to use the fuel until a cold day in december.

All the cold areas I have been in at least offered a winter blend of fuel at the gas station, some places offered a choice year around and only winter fuel in the winter.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
I think I will try a tankfull of Bio when I get my truck up and running again.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
diesel kleen hurts nothing, nor does ulsd fuel, it has all the additives you need for your engine. the rumors that ulsd will blow your truck up is all false, in my opinion the best additive for your fuel is kerosene. its approved by ford for winter additive to prevent gelling and aid in cold starts. and fords house brand fuel additive is mostly kerosene anyway

Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
the numbers dont lie, and diesel kleen does not hurt any thing, but it does little to help lubrication, and ULSD is known to have less lubricating properties, more lubrication=longer injector life, plain and simple.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:36 AM
fuelman
Elder User
All ULSD is sold with lubricity additives put into it before it hits the transport truck .That was mandatory before ULSD was even available.The systems for the lubricity was in place 1yr before ULSD.The lubricity horror stories are the same ones that where around in 92 when LS was introduced,all fear and bs.

Search this Thread