1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

F150 4.2l engine swap options

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 03:02 AM
DEXTERWISE
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
F150 4.2l engine swap options

I'm considering buying an f150 4.2l truck, with a bad transmission system.

Are there options for engine swaps with more power and torque?

Can a 302(5.0l) Ford engine, be swapped easily?

Are the Windstar 3.8l engines, which has almost same specs with this 4.2l, can't easily be swapped in there?

Thanks for your replies.

PS: What are the known problems with this engine/transmission systems?
Are they problematic, as the 5.4l Fords?

Old 03-04-2021, 05:28 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Swaps depend on your masochism and experience level. Even the supposedly upgraded 4.2 can hydrolock (mine did but after many miles, total unsure since I didn't install it) but the rest of the truck was worth tossing in a used engine (mainly because mine has a Tommy Gate and upgraded rear suspension). Had that not been worth it I'd have used the parts for a 4.6 which is a vastly better engine. Oddly I was just given another (the cats had been stolen) I fixed with a Summit generic exhaust kit and a computer reflashed (by pontisteve found via these forums) to delete the ATS and rear O2 sensors since the truck had been stolen and dragging it to a dealer would have been heinously expensive plus they don't do sensor deletes.
The manual boxes go indefinitely (and clutches and shift lever bushings are cheap) but the automatics eventually wear out like any other. Rebuilds and takeouts can be had of course but unless you (like many mechanics) can get the parts for peanuts I'd not bother if you can score a better truck. I have enough I may as well drive 'em until I croak of old age.

I used to build one truck or SUV out of multiple donors which is easier than most folks think (park them next to each other, take far more photos than you imagine you'll need of every connection and part you disturb) for a used car lot and cab and harness swaps aren't horrid but the worth of doing so is highly questionable for most people. The easy way to a 4.6 swap for me would be pillaging a complete donor and parting out the leftovers. I usually cut the frame of the donor to make a trailer (also handy for hauling beds). We parked 'em side by side when practical, removed what we didn't want first then crossloaded what we did want from the donor. You want a 7mm 1/4" drive socket (with extensions and universal) for the interior plus a panel tool kit.

If the truck is in decent shape I could see tossing a transmission into it yourself. Study the hydro-lock threads and consider replacing the gasket before it defecates. If you get it for scrap price that affects if fixing it's worth doing. They're not powerful but I've hauled silly weights with mine. I now have a 1997 4.6, two 2000 4.2s, and a 1997 4.6 organ donor I might finish fixing just because I scrounged gobs of parts at my last job. Since automatic gearboxes on half-tons (any brand) seem to be fecal I'd look into upgrades if you do the transmission. The gearbox gurus here can weigh in on that one.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 AM
Johnny Paycheck
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Nothing is a really easy swap outside of a like-year 4.2. You need the transmission as well for either Triton, plus the driveshaft for a 5.4 if you want the beefier 9.75 rear as well.

You will have to splice away to make an Exploder 5.0 work, as I am sure that engine harness is quite different.

A sideways 4.2 uses a different bellhousing pattern. Shared with the 3.0 v6, if memory serves correct. So, that’s not happening easily with an F150.

Old 07-25-2023, 02:02 PM
IAM2Fires
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L Engine Needed

Originally Posted by monckywrench
Swaps depend on your masochism and experience level. Even the supposedly upgraded 4.2 can hydrolock (mine did but after many miles, total unsure since I didn't install it) but the rest of the truck was worth tossing in a used engine (mainly because mine has a Tommy Gate and upgraded rear suspension). Had that not been worth it I'd have used the parts for a 4.6 which is a vastly better engine. Oddly I was just given another (the cats had been stolen) I fixed with a Summit generic exhaust kit and a computer reflashed (by pontisteve found via these forums) to delete the ATS and rear O2 sensors since the truck had been stolen and dragging it to a dealer would have been heinously expensive plus they don't do sensor deletes.
The manual boxes go indefinitely (and clutches and shift lever bushings are cheap) but the automatics eventually wear out like any other. Rebuilds and takeouts can be had of course but unless you (like many mechanics) can get the parts for peanuts I'd not bother if you can score a better truck. I have enough I may as well drive 'em until I croak of old age.

I used to build one truck or SUV out of multiple donors which is easier than most folks think (park them next to each other, take far more photos than you imagine you'll need of every connection and part you disturb) for a used car lot and cab and harness swaps aren't horrid but the worth of doing so is highly questionable for most people. The easy way to a 4.6 swap for me would be pillaging a complete donor and parting out the leftovers. I usually cut the frame of the donor to make a trailer (also handy for hauling beds). We parked 'em side by side when practical, removed what we didn't want first then crossloaded what we did want from the donor. You want a 7mm 1/4" drive socket (with extensions and universal) for the interior plus a panel tool kit.

If the truck is in decent shape I could see tossing a transmission into it yourself. Study the hydro-lock threads and consider replacing the gasket before it defecates. If you get it for scrap price that affects if fixing it's worth doing. They're not powerful but I've hauled silly weights with mine. I now have a 1997 4.6, two 2000 4.2s, and a 1997 4.6 organ donor I might finish fixing just because I scrounged gobs of parts at my last job. Since automatic gearboxes on half-tons (any brand) seem to be fecal I'd look into upgrades if you do the transmission. The gearbox gurus here can weigh in on that one.
Will a 4.0 l out of a 99 explorer work to replace my 4.2 l 2002 f150 engine.
Or could you possibly sell me one of your 4.2 that you have