2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sneaky PATS key thief!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM
rprhyno
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sneaky PATS key thief!

Interesting story for those of us with PATS key equipped trucks. Friend at a small local Ford dealership had a Mustang stolen and nobody could figure out how it was done since it was a PATS key vehicle. Turns out sneaky B*stard test drove the car solo late in the business day and had a PATS style key on him. When he parked the car back in it's spot, he switched the keys and he gave the dealer the bogus key and said he'd think about it. Car was back in it's spot so nobody noticed the swap. SOB came back later that night and drove off with the car with the PATS key he'd swiped! If you're selling your truck and you let somebody test drive it - don't give them both keys and check the one he gives you back! Just goes to show you that nothing's fool proof since fools are so ingenious. Guy got busted a few days after stealing the car but he'd gotten all the way from NW Pennsylvania to Georgia in the Mustang before the Law caught up.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 PM
HamerDown
Senior User
Hmmm, anytime I've taken a new vehicle for a test drive the dealer (always) takes a photo copy of my drivers license.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 PM
buckeyesteeler7
Junior User
Originally Posted by HamerDown
Hmmm, anytime I've taken a new vehicle for a test drive the dealer (always) takes a photo copy of my drivers license.
I've always had a dealer in the car with me.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:13 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When i test drove my truck the salesman basically tossed me the keys and told me to take my time even after i gave him my license to copy it and he could clearly see that i was only 16 at the time which was odd because now that i think of it he was crazy to give a 16 yr old the keys to a basically new truck. The point I'm trying to make is that there certainly is not much discretion from these salesman and they will hand the keys to almost anyone without much thought.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Stopped in at Ford dealer service counter to get new key made. Had to have both of my keys or he wouldnt have sold me a blank. Brought it home and followed directions in manual. So I have a 3rd key, $30 later. He said with only one key they would have to reprogram ignition and it would be $150. So prob getting one extra key might save a few bucks down the road. My wife is bad on losing stuff...

Old 11-23-2007, 08:35 PM
thechief96
Senior User
I can see how that could happen. I went to the dealership to buy PATs keys. Didn't need even one key to buy two more.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:02 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baitmaster
Stopped in at Ford dealer service counter to get new key made. Had to have both of my keys or he wouldnt have sold me a blank. Brought it home and followed directions in manual. So I have a 3rd key, $30 later. He said with only one key they would have to reprogram ignition and it would be $150. So prob getting one extra key might save a few bucks down the road. My wife is bad on losing stuff.. .
Don't understand why you had to have BOTH keys to buy a 3rd.....you have to have both to program the third in the car, that's the whole idea. Anyone can get a third key, but you need both originals to program a third. Having just one and buying a second won't do diddly unless you have access to a setup to reprogram the PATS computer.

Originally Posted by thechief96
I can see how that could happen. I went to the dealership to buy PATs keys. Didn't need even one key to buy two more.
Now, if the salesman gives you TWO keys to the vehicle, and you have a third, you can program it, have it cut at walmart, return vehicle & original keys, and come back later to pick it up!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our dealership will cut keys if you don't have any on you(such as locking yours in u're truck), but you need your title and a drivers license.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by baitmaster
Stopped in at Ford dealer service counter to get new key made. Had to have both of my keys or he wouldnt have sold me a blank. Brought it home and followed directions in manual. So I have a 3rd key, $30 later. He said with only one key they would have to reprogram ignition and it would be $150. So prob getting one extra key might save a few bucks down the road. My wife is bad on losing stuff...
Plenty available on E-Bay. I spent $10-$12 each for my 3rd key. Walmart cut them for nothing and it takes about 20 seconds to reprogram them.