Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Hypertech SUCKS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
calbery
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hypertech SUCKS!!!!

I have a Hypertech power programmer III for my 2000 F250 I believe it's a 41022. I've played around with it and tested my truck in all it's settings. Today while working on my truck I decided to put it back into Premium gas mode. The unit is giving me an "error 91" and says call hypertech. So I did!!
Hypertech tells me that this unit needs sent in. Then they tell me this unit is too old to work on. They can't fix any of these. They have no software to work on these and I'll need to have to take my truck to Ford to have the computer programmed back to stock then buy a new Hypertech. BULLS&%T
That is terrible customer service. You and I all know they should be able to fix these. They just want to sell me a new product. I know they just turned me into a superchips user.
Do any of you know somewhere I may be able to get this unit fixed so I don't have to take my truck to Ford and have it reprogrammed??
Moral of this story is don't buy Hypertech products because this is the kind of service they give.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:20 PM
rich250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
programmers are a touchy subject in my opinion,got a hypertech for my Durango and never had a problem,but on my Dodge diesel both programmers I used(diablo and Bullydog) would light the abs and brake lights after a flash,I know of several people needing ecms replaced due to something a programmer screwed up.that is bull that hypertech won't do anything for you,hopefully the dealer gets you fixed up .

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
What is the condition of the truck right now? Does it run? Is it stuck in the premium mode?

That stinks. I'm surprised they wouldn't do SOMETHING about it - It's a lifetime warranty, right?

Or is this a used unit you picked up somewhere? A lifetime warranty is usually only to the original owner.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 PM
caddylt1
Freshman User
My buddy had a similar prolblem not to long ago and got the same sour story you got. He got the truck flashed back to stock, then he proceded to call hypertech back and really got in their A@# about what was going on and the fact that everyone he talked to blew him off. Long story short he got a new hypertech, then promptly sold it. If i were you, call them back and talk to who runs the joint and just let em have it, not that I condone that sort of behavior. lol

Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
calbery
Junior User
My truck is stuck in the regular gas tune. This is a used unit. I'm not asking for anything free I just want them to fix it and I'll pay for it. Even if I was the "original" owner they said they still couldn't do anything for me. I'm not going to raise cain with them. I'll just chock it up to a lesson learned and let everyone I know just how bad their customer service is.
Darrell

Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
calbery
Junior User
How much should it cost to have the truck flashed back to stock?

Old 11-22-2007, 12:08 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by calbery
How much should it cost to have the truck flashed back to stock?
Good question! I believe it costs about $89 +/- for the dealer to just read error codes...so you are prob looking well over $100+.

Report back...what it ends up costing. I'm sure other FTE folks would appreciate it.

Good luck!

biz

Old 11-22-2007, 06:02 AM
rich250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good honest dealer should reflash it back for no more then 1hr. labor rate

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
This is good information to get out on the web, maybe post or link it in the general discussion forums so more people don't get screwed?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:47 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Its best to get a completly updateable tuner, updates via USB port and internet connection. SCT and Diablosport are the best.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dkf
Its best to get a completly updateable tuner, updates via USB port and internet connection. SCT and Diablosport are the best.
dkf -- has you covered! The SCT and/or Diablosport are the best for the V10 2v...IMO...if you want a tuner.

biz

Old 11-25-2007, 04:02 AM
PMDRACER
Senior User
OK, so I'm thinking about getting the DiabloSport for my '99 V-10, but one thing stops me -

In California there is no such thing as 93 octane gas. We only have 87/89/91. With that in mind, am I wasting my time and money in getting a tuner, since I can't use the "big tune". I'm looking for the HP and MPG gains, along with the trans shifting improvements.

So now what?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by PMDRACER
OK, so I'm thinking about getting the DiabloSport for my '99 V-10, but one thing stops me -

In California there is no such thing as 93 octane gas. We only have 87/89/91. With that in mind, am I wasting my time and money in getting a tuner, since I can't use the "big tune". I'm looking for the HP and MPG gains, along with the trans shifting improvements.

So now what?
I don't run Premium with my SCT and neither does my dad with his Diablosport tuner. We both run 87, and for what gas costs a gallon we will continue to run 87. You get the best gains with a premium tune however its not an amazing amount of increase. The main reason we have our tuners is to adjust the transmission, air/fuel ratio, tire size, eliminate top speed limiter and etc. I loaded the 87 performance tune in my dads 03' and the truck pinged extremely bad above 2500rpm on our trip to Canada. I had to reflash back to the stock tune at breakfast. The tuner added too much timing and caused the pinging. Other than that he is very happy with his Diablosport as am I with my SCT, both are top notch tuners.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I don't run Premium with my SCT and neither does my dad with his Diablosport tuner. We both run 87, and for what gas costs a gallon we will continue to run 87. You get the best gains with a premium tune however its not an amazing amount of increase. The main reason we have our tuners is to adjust the transmission, air/fuel ratio, tire size, eliminate top speed limiter and etc. I loaded the 87 performance tune in my dads 03' and the truck pinged extremely bad above 2500rpm on our trip to Canada. I had to reflash back to the stock tune at breakfast. The tuner added too much timing and caused the pinging. Other than that he is very happy with his Diablosport as am I with my SCT, both are top notch tuners.
Thanks for the honest reply.

I was doing some calcs last night, and I figured that if I run the 91 octane, a full tank would cost an extra $6.50 over 87. Now, if the DiabloSport were to increase my mileage by even 1/2 mpg, it would offset the difference in the fuel cost. (I know, I know, I'm a math guy, gimme a break)

The big thing is the trans mods. This slushy feeling shifting has got to go.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
dkf
Hotshot
IMO 1/2mpg increase is being optomistic with a tuner. A set of headers or swapping out the stock y-pipe(99-04) will give probably the most increase in MPG, but it still will be very little. Even with all the stuff I've done to my truck, I havn't noticed much if any increase in mpg around town however highway mpg increased slightly. In stock form the V10s get close to optimum mpg numbers.

Quick Reply: Hypertech SUCKS!!!!