2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD package people

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD package people

Not often that I start a thread, but I am getting excited about finally putting my 04 Scab with the HD package on the road. One of the big reasons I even recognized the truck for what it is and bought it is the information that I have gathered from FTE.

So now I am calling on all those 2004 to 2007 HD package people to stand up and be counted. Even those of you who are hoping to become HD package people are more that welcome to join us.

Unfortunately, circumstances were such that I had to make a quick decision on buying the truck so I may find that I have any of a number of 04 issues to sort out. A couple that come quickly to mind are cam follower noises and soft brake rotors. I'm not sure whether the 7 bolt wheels use different rotors or not, I do recall that at least the 2004 Build 1 rotors had some issues.

For all of you who quote the towing capacity propaganda from Ford literature and have never noticed the asterisk that took you to "with HD suspension package" there may also be something to learn here. An extra 1000 pounds in load capacity is quite a lot.

Looking forward to sharing some good, or even not so good, info.

BigDave

Old 11-23-2007, 09:52 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Okay, since I am getting about the response that expected I will just have to carry this thread by myself and try not to get into any arguments.

I have been looking into the available 7 bolt wheels for my truck and although American Racing makes the Atlas wheels they are little pricey for me. I checked with a local tire shop a couple of days ago and they sold me a set of American Eagles (#058) for $150 a wheel. I finally decided that the factory wheels are just too butt ugly to even bother to refinish them. The American Eagles are a dish type wheel with cut out holes and should be a lot easier to keep clean than spokes.

I thought that I had seen a couple of HD's here in Saskatoon this week, but it turned out they were just 8 foot box regular cabs. There is no HD badging on these trucks so the only sure way to tell is to pop off the hubcaps and look for the 7 bolts. It has been my experience that if someone finds you in a parking lot with one of their hubcaps off they are going to get a bit rude. Once again the old 7700 series had badging on the tailgate. Come to think of it I might just try to put a 7700 series badge on my truck to really confuse people.

BTW the other less reliable way to tell an HD quickly is to take a look at the tires. They are the only ones that come from the factory with LT tires (alhough still crappy Generals).

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 11-23-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe you can order the FX4s with LT Goodyears.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:14 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
I believe you can order the FX4s with LT Goodyears.
Hey Rich,thanks for joining me in this thread and of course you are right. I have seen Goodyear AT/S tires in LT on an FX4. Right now that is the tires that are on my HD.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:35 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
It would have been nice if Ford didnt force the HD package on strictly 1 build style. Know how happy I would have been, to get a HD 4.10 Supercrew??

Old 11-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Uncle has a HD 04 and he put the American racing wheels on it when it was new just cause he couldnt stand the look of the factory ones. It really made the truck look good. For myself I have just a regular Lariat cause I dont often use my truck like a truck. But I am looking into "beefing it up", i am thinking air bags and new gears. I am just not an 8' box guy, had an 03 SD extended cab 8" box and my wife couldnt park it without hitting stuff. My fault for leting her drive it, and it was just plain to big for me. But the HD 150 is in a class all by itself. Good luck with it.

Sarge

Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 AM
evl150
Senior User
An HD supercrew with 4.10's would be nice.I wish there wasn't some many limitation's to how some of these option's are offered.I also think that all 4x4 model's should come with limited slip axle's front and rear,it does say 4x4 on the side right?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:17 AM
fordtruckowner
Senior User
It would have been nice if Ford didnt force the HD package on strictly 1 build style. Know how happy I would have been, to get a HD 4.10 Supercrew??
Wheel,
See my threads going right now about this same gearing issue. "3.73 vs. 4.10" and "seat of your pants performance gains" Actually BigDave who started this thread has helped me some with my question. You are dead on about this gear issue. Ford makes the best truck by far but the key word here is truck so why put that whimpy 3.55 gear in. As was noted in my threads if you go a couple of inches larger in tire with a 3.55 gear you have effectively turned that gear into about a 3.20 and your truck into a real dog.

I am waiting for more replies on my threads and waiting to hear back from BigDave on how he likes the 4.10 in his HD.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM
King Ranch Glenn
Freshman User
Originally Posted by evl150
An HD supercrew with 4.10's would be nice.I wish there wasn't some many limitation's to how some of these option's are offered.I also think that all 4x4 model's should come with limited slip axle's front and rear,it does say 4x4 on the side right?
Many, many, many years ago FORD offered limited slip third members from the factory. My '69 Bronco had limited slip axles front & rear. These options were included on the factory window sticker.

Too bad the 'good' options are not offered on upper end packages. I would have gladly checked off manual hubs and mechanical 4WD shift lever on my King Ranch order form.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I agree with that, I like the idea of manual hubs and a lever. The last truck I had with a shift lever was my 99 F-150.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
My Uncle has a HD 04 and he put the American racing wheels on it when it was new just cause he couldnt stand the look of the factory ones. It really made the truck look good. For myself I have just a regular Lariat cause I dont often use my truck like a truck. But I am looking into "beefing it up", i am thinking air bags and new gears. I am just not an 8' box guy, had an 03 SD extended cab 8" box and my wife couldnt park it without hitting stuff. My fault for leting her drive it, and it was just plain to big for me. But the HD 150 is in a class all by itself. Good luck with it.

Sarge
The sad fact is that my circumstances have changed so much since I bought the truck that it is almost ridiculous for me to own it. I would be better off with a compact car for where I live and drive.

However, nobody ever went out of their way to say that I am a sensible person so I will continue to use and love it until I have a reason to own it again. Aw, I just realized that all I need is a nice snowmobile to go in that 8 foot box and there alone is the justification.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:18 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Seems to me that the 7700 series package was available in quite a variety of configurations. I think that the situation just emphasizes how many trucks are never really used to haul any kind of load or go off-road or run oversize tires.

Maybe we can convince Ford to build a HD 4.10 Supercrew and call it the "FTE Special Edition" cause I am 100% in agreement with you!! Of course we would have to fight tooth and nail to convince them not to use 20 or 22 inch wheels, just another indicator that trucks have become cars with a big, wide open trunk.

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 11-26-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31 AM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sarge261

Sarge
I have been trying to gear myself for switching from the Lariat to an XL. Boy do the Lariat options spoil a person. Good thing that I cut my driving teeth on a 1961 International Travelall. Just like riding a bike you never forget how to run a window crank.

I will more than likely lose a couple of girlfriends after the switch due to the lack of heated seats, and yes I fully realize that a couple of girlfriends is one too many to start with. Just got a little greedy in my latest adventure in internet dating.

As I recall the HD package was available in Lariat trim way back in the olden days (2004) when the new series started. Even remember a couple of them that made it into FTE.

Last edited by bigdavewilson; 11-26-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bigdavewilson
Seems to me that the 7700 series package was available in quite a variety of configurations. I think that the situation just emphasizes how many trucks are never really used to haul any kind of load or go off-road or run oversize tires.

Maybe we can convince Ford to build a HD 4.10 Supercrew and call it the "FTE Special Edition" cause I am 100% in agreement with you!! Of course we would have to fight tooth and nail to convince them not to use 20 or 22 inch wheels, just another indicator that trucks have become cars with a big, wide open trunk.
I was referencing the 2004+ builds (which I think limit the build to regular cab long bed, or extended cab long bed). Its not a heavy duty truck, unless its rolling on 20"s

Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I would buy a HD 150 if I needed a 8' box, My uncles is nicely equipped has bucket seats, sunroof pw,pl, all the toys except leather. Its real nice he just didnt like the wheels. I only tow heavy stuff once in a great while so I dont need a HD 150. Wish it did come in a short box, Lariat tho...I would buy it just to have it.

Sarge

Quick Reply: HD package people