Rear view camera in 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
Okay..I've done some homework and here's my plan.

The '08 SD rear view mirrors are made by Gentex. A very similiar unit is available directly from them at a much cheaper price than Ford. It is a auto dimming mirror with the monitor...the screen is the same size as the Ford unit.

The Gentex mirror is available on line, and a site sponsor will soon be carrying them. (I don;t know if it's okay to mention it yet as I do not see it listed on their site...but I know they are coming)

As far as cameras go, I'm not100% sure yet, but I think I am going to take a page from a fellow poster, and mount a Kenwood CCD-2000 (That's the recent version) on top of the hitch, but under the bumper.

I had planned on getting one of the high mount stoplight jobs, but the company told me that you cannot see your hitch, or the rear bumper with their camera so I decided against that one.
Thanks for that great post, keep us updated on what you do or learn.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 AM
2xtremexj
Senior User
I am going to eat my own words from an earlier post.

I talked to some experts this week while at the RVIA show (working, but this post got my attention so I thought I would ask a few questions). It turns out that at that height you should get a much better view/depth perception than mounted lower down. There are ton's of camera companies, most based on price, size, quality of lense, etc. Pick what you want in your price range.

I would guess that you could mount a small camera behind the red lense and just drill a small hole for the lense it's self and never even know that it was there.

Good Luck, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Michael

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile rear view camera

hey matt, i have the kenwood ccd-900 now about 1 year old. its mounted on the hitch. i love it and its so small too.

Last edited by RACERX7775; 12-04-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Rob...thanks! It was yours that made me think of it! How big is that camera? Does it fit on the hitch but under the bumper?

Hope all is well.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
hey matt, i have the kenwood ccd-900 now about 1 year old. its mounted on the hitch. i love it and its so small too.
This camera should be able to be connected to a rear view mirror with a camera in it right, particulary the one Matt M, PA mentioned. Here some places to buy the mirror. Do you all think a camera can be mounted to the liftgate handle some how or instead of mounting it on the hitch buy a license plate frame with a camera on it, for some reason I think it would be mounted to low on the hitch in between the bumber

Last edited by aortizexcursion; 12-04-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
That is exactly the mirror I want to use. My original thought was to use the camera the way you have...mounted on top of the hitch. I am hoping I can slide it back just a hair to be under the center of the bumper.

Can you give me a measurement of the camera?

Finally, I too did some searching on that mirror and was amazed at the cost differences at some of the sites. I'd venture that that one is a mistake.

I looked at all kinds of ways to mount the camera, but I'd rather not have it so obvious as it would be if mounted higher on the back. Plus, I want to be able to see the ball on my hitch for hooking up.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
That is exactly the mirror I want to use. My original thought was to use the camera the way you have...mounted on top of the hitch. I am hoping I can slide it back just a hair to be under the center of the bumper.

Can you give me a measurement of the camera?

Finally, I too did some searching on that mirror and was amazed at the cost differences at some of the sites. I'd venture that that one is a mistake.

I looked at all kinds of ways to mount the camera, but I'd rather not have it so obvious as it would be if mounted higher on the back. Plus, I want to be able to see the ball on my hitch for hooking up.
Do you think it would be easier to use this camera on the license plate frame like this one.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I was hoping to avoid a license frame with the camera built in and here's why. It seems that in short order, the chrome frames pit..and look bad. As it is now...I just replace them as they are cheap. If the camera is built into it...well, you get the idea.

I do like the Kenwood, and there is also one that they call the Bumble Bee camera that sort of hovers over the plate. Overall, the Kenwood would be so well hidden on top of the hitch and just under teh bumper that I think it's the best way to go

I'll keep everyone informed.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I was hoping to avoid a license frame with the camera built in and here's why. It seems that in short order, the chrome frames pit..and look bad. As it is now...I just replace them as they are cheap. If the camera is built into it...well, you get the idea.

I do like the Kenwood, and there is also one that they call the Bumble Bee camera that sort of hovers over the plate. Overall, the Kenwood would be so well hidden on top of the hitch and just under teh bumper that I think it's the best way to go

I'll keep everyone informed.
Is this the camera you want. I understand why you don't want a license plate frame with a camera, but do you think you can possibly paint the plate frame to stop that, for some reason I think its to close to the ground therefore hindering visibility, my driveway is at an angle so the back of the Excursion would be facing the ground slightly and I think since the camera is so close to the ground that it would take away some of the visibility, but the more I look at RACERX7775 pic I see that the camera has a huge viewing area so I think it would be fine at the hitch.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, that is the camera, and the location. I got the idea from racerx775. In his pic, it sure seems to do the job.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey matt,let me know. maybe we can do lunch and you can see it first hand. pm me if your interested.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Okay guys...as promised, here's the latest on this camera set-up.

One of our forum sponsors is now a dealer for the Gentex mirrors, as well as a handful of back-up cameras. MGT Motorsports. I became acquainted with them from buying two Scan Gauge II units, along with their Blendmount for same. I installed them in both the Ex and the Cobra and was very pleased with not only the product...but moreover the service and attention to detail with their products. Pricing was great as was the speed of shipping. (And no...I'm not connected...just a very pleased customer)

I ordered the auto dimming mirror with the monitor for a back up camera. Gentex makes this mirror for Ford, as installed on the '08 SD. There may be some differences in the case or something, but it's the same size screen, auto dimming, etc. It costs much less than the cost of the mirror from the dealer.

The cameras are a personal thing, so you'll likely want to check out what fits your needs best. Several are listed at MGT. I went with the Kenwood CCD-2000.

One more thing....the Blend Mount will still work with this mirror!

Once I get my install done....I'll report back with info, etc. Now I just have to sit by the door and wait for the UPS guy.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 AM
HOOKY
New User
So does the hitch mounted camera, still have a nice view with the ball on there?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Hooky...look above there is a pic of a monitor with the camera installed the way I am speaking of. (Thanks to racer for the idea)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Okay guys...as promised, here's the latest on this camera set-up.

One of our forum sponsors is now a dealer for the Gentex mirrors, as well as a handful of back-up cameras. MGT Motorsports. I became acquainted with them from buying two Scan Gauge II units, along with their Blendmount for same. I installed them in both the Ex and the Cobra and was very pleased with not only the product...but moreover the service and attention to detail with their products. Pricing was great as was the speed of shipping. (And no...I'm not connected...just a very pleased customer)

I ordered the auto dimming mirror with the monitor for a back up camera. Gentex makes this mirror for Ford, as installed on the '08 SD. There may be some differences in the case or something, but it's the same size screen, auto dimming, etc. It costs much less than the cost of the mirror from the dealer.

The cameras are a personal thing, so you'll likely want to check out what fits your needs best. Several are listed at MGT. I went with the Kenwood CCD-2000.

One more thing....the Blend Mount will still work with this mirror!

Once I get my install done....I'll report back with info, etc. Now I just have to sit by the door and wait for the UPS guy.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it all cost?

Quick Reply: Rear view camera in 3rd brake light