Sponsored by: Moser

2009 F-150 here she is

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Often times if you look at the posting history of the people who bitch the most about new trucks and tell you how great year ______ (insert whatever year here) is ........ it sometimes turns out from their posting history they don't have the means to get a new truck or even a slightly used truck. They lob verbal mud at newer trucks and their owners because they are jealous.
Yah that's it. Were jealous because our trucks have been on the road for 20 years and still going strong. And we would love so much to experience the horrors of dealing with computers when they are on the fritz. Of course then there's the thrill of giving up proven technology for something that still has bugs. Yep I'm soo jealous. And we can't forget I just love for the govt. to track my every mile.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a newer ranger (99) and i wouldnt trade any of my 73-79 trucks for anything new. Im a die hard Ford guy but i have heard nothing good in my area about the new Fords. The Powerstrokes suck big time. Cant keep turbos bolted to the motor. The main complaint is the fact that I can not find a new F-150 with a v8 and 5spd. Do they not make them anymore? It seems like anythin with a manual tranny is all but obsolete. Seems like people nowadays are just to damn lazy to shift. Oh and from the standpoint of being a bodyman all the new vehicles are junk. sheetmetal is thin as pop cans and im so sick of replacing plastic body parts. I mean seriously look at any new ford car and point out somethin worth customizing. You cant french headlights or tailights anymore. Ya gotta be a damn fiberglass Hoodini to work on anything. Ill stick with my older stuff. I can afford a new truck at anypoint but until i find somethin reliable ill be drivin old stuff.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The responses.... help to illustrate my point.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 12-31-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Often times if you look at the posting history of the people who bitch the most about new trucks and tell you how great year ______ (insert whatever year here) is ........ it sometimes turns out from their posting history they don't have the means to get a new truck or even a slightly used truck. They lob verbal mud at newer trucks and their owners because they are jealous.
That has got to be the dumbest thing I have read. I own an 06 PSD and have yet to post one single thing in that section of this forum. I also own a 79 F-250, a 79 Bronco and a 79 F-150. I would take any 79 model Ford over a new truck any day of the week. The only spot I ever post in this forum is the 73-79 section. So does that make me fit in your low class can't afford a new truck stereotype of person you are potraying people to be?

I would expect that type of comment to come from a member but not the owner.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest ill hook my supercab up to a new truck anyday. Well see just who breaks first. All these computers tell you fuel mileage,tire pressure,altitude, etc etc Bet they wont tell ya when the junk is gonna break down or how to fix it since you dont have a college degree.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats why we drive these old 70's fords cause nothing else could pull our trailerhouses to another location! us poor dumb fools and our old fords.. wish we could be smart and rich like the fellers that drive them fancy new truks, duuuh huckie dang do.. well i gotsa go pick my wife i mean sister up from highscool shes just about to get out of detention. hucky darn!

Ray

Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ranger429
That has got to be the dumbest thing I have read. I own an 06 PSD and have yet to post one single thing in that section of this forum. I also own a 79 F-250, a 79 Bronco and a 79 F-150. I would take any 79 model Ford over a new truck any day of the week. The only spot I ever post in this forum is the 73-79 section. So does that make me fit in your low class can't afford a new truck stereotype of person you are potraying people to be?

I would expect that type of comment to come from a member but not the owner.
I never said anything about class or stereo-typing people who don't drive them. I was making a remark based on FACT about some users who have slammed the truck. Old Rust Bucket comes in here and slams these trucks, yet the guy is driving around in a 1983 truck he said was all he that could afford (his words) and based on the fact that he'd never even seen a digital odometer in a Ford truck (his words) it tells me he's never even driven a new truck so how would he know a thing about them? The guy is talking smack about something he's never even experienced.

There's nothing wrong with not having a lot of money or driving an old truck. I've been broke before as I'm sure many others have, and I've driven many older vehicles. But the very least someone ought to be up front. Its sort of like you saying you don't post anything about your 2006 on FTE to try to present that as a basis for your older iron, when the fact you do talk about your 2006 on another site --- took all of 2 seconds with Google to figure that out.

I've owned a 67 F100, a 75 F100, 2 2000 trucks and a 2006 F150. If I had to make a choice of only one truck I'll take the 2006 any day. I love old iron and working on it (that's why I'm looking for an old truck to restore) -- but I can also work on new iron as well.

As to being the owner of this site.... nope. I sold FTE a long time ago.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 12-31-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:00 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Need me to throw you a life preserver Ken? Sounds like the water is getting deep.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ranger429
Need me to throw you a life preserver Ken? Sounds like the water is getting deep.
Likewise. <!-- -->I think you completely missed the point of my post, and took it personally, when in fact I was making a remark about some people who were participating in this section. So it really had nothing to do with you, nor with all old iron truck owners.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 12-31-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OK.. time for the official grouch to stick his nose in here.

Now, I've owned a lot of different vehicles over the years and I've loved each of them for their own existance and the great luck I had with them.

I've driven better than 200,000 miles in my old 55. Did I love it? More than I can say.
I've driven countless miles in my old 60. Did I love it? More than I can express.
My 73 was driven until I came across my next early Bronco... did I love it? Oh yeah!
Both my early Broncos... 66 and 73... pure excellence. Did I love them? OMG... YEAH!
My 83 4x4... now that was the worst of all my trucks. I just never had great luck with it. I put a new 351 in it and drove it until it was becoming too rusty to be seen in. Then I bought my NEW truck.

Now, I drive my 99. Have around 77,000 miles on it. Did a first tune up at around 76,000.... new plugs and wires... runs as good as a new truck. It has a heater that beats hell out of everything listed above. It has an air conditioner that makes ya roll the window down and warm up, on the hottest of days. Comfort? Oh ya...it's got them ALL beat by a million miles. Hauling loads? It does everything I NEED of it. Does it compare with ...say, my 60 4x4 flatbead for loads? Wouldn't know.. I've never hauled as big a load with anything as I did with my 60.... or needed to. But, froze my bootox off in almost everone of the above, every winter.. cept for my new baby.

If you haven't put any miles on a newer truck, don't knock them. You'll eventually get older and may just like some of the comforts of a newer vehicle. I don't care for the newest of the Ford trucks, because of a lack of a manual tranny..but hey... if I get rich enough, I just may buy one some day...auto tranny or no. They are making some things better now days.

As for the electronic monitoring.... huh? Maybe I have nothing to worry about... I'm an old fart...I don't ever get outta line much.

I'm probably the brokest Mo Fo of any of us here. But my 99 is bought and PAID FOR. Luckily, I got it paid for before I was forced to be unemployed due to my miserable health. But, that's neither here nor there. If I had to buy it all over again.. I'd do it in a heart beat!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never said anything about class or stereo-typing people who don't drive them. I was making a remark based on FACT about some users who have slammed the truck. Old Rust Bucket comes in here and slams these trucks, yet the guy is driving around in a 1983 truck he said was all he that could afford (his words) and based on the fact that he'd never even seen a digital odometer in a Ford truck (his words) it tells me he's never even driven a new truck so how would he know a thing about them? The guy is talking smack about something he's never even experienced.
I haven't had that 83 for a year now. I should have never crashed it because it is dang hard to replace it. (read impossible) I have driven new trucks plenty. 99' 3500, '97 1500, '05 F350, I've been around them enough to know I don't like them. Just because I've never owned one does not mean I've never driven them or got stuck trying to figure out why the CEL is blinking at me. It scares me really. I was very disappointed to go from a '83 to an '89. If they managed to screw it up that much in 6 years then it gives me nightmares to think what they did in 20. My dealings with GM cars tells me they are worse then the trucks.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my heaters always work good, i even gor a rear and a front in my 75 crewcab. and if you need ac in alaska then maybe you should be in a stroller sucking on your thumb.

Ray

Old 12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I like my 77, that 460 will pull anything, but I really like my 01.
Gee, if it does get a miss in it, just plug in the ole scanner and it will tell you exactly which cylinder is missing. Much better than the old OBD-I. But I haven't had to yet.
My 01 has a/c, much better heat, better quieter ride and 100 times better brakes. Very useful when hauling 7400lbs behind you.
I like the looks of the newer trucks, but my 01 serves me fine. It has almost 75K miles on it and has had no major issues.