1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Wow! just found numerous trouble areas

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:09 AM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Usually with the tensioners there is a square hole in them that you put a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar into, then pull on it to release the tension and remove the belt. Not sure on the PSD, but I don't know why it would be any different than most of the other tensioners I've messed with. Also, the tensioner is usually the smallest pulley, which makes it easy to spot.
The 1/2" drive deal does not work on the PSD. You will need a large Torx bit, T50 I think. The spring adjuster is the upper left pulley as you are loooking at the motor. It will have the torx bolt holding the pulley on an alu. arm. If memory serves me, the torw bolt is left hand threaded.

The tensioner pulley is the same size as the idler pulley.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="70%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom>Item </TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Part Number </TH><TH vAlign=bottom>Description </TH><TR vAlign=top><TD>1 </TD><TD>10300 </TD><TD>Generator </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>2 </TD><TD>8678 </TD><TD>Belt Idler Pulley </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>3 </TD><TD>2E884 </TD><TD>A/C Clutch Pulley </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>4 </TD><TD>2A451 </TD><TD>Vacuum Pump </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>5 </TD><TD>3A733 </TD><TD>Power Steering Pump Pulley </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>6 </TD><TD>6312 </TD><TD>Crankshaft Pulley </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>7 </TD><TD>8509 </TD><TD>Water Pump Pulley </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>8 </TD><TD>6B209 </TD><TD>Drive Belt Tensioner </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>9 </TD><TD>8620 </TD><TD>Drive Belt </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Thanks for the pic! So I just stick a torx bit (T50) in it and move it one way or the other to release the tension? That pic will come on handy when putting belt back on as well. When the engine is running the water pump pulley looks as if it's out of balance. In other words, not turning in a straight circle if that makes snese. Where can I order one of these and does it just come off and replace with a new one?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To get the belt off you get a socket (mine uses a regular bolt head) or torx which ever it is and push it to the passenger side then slip the belt off the easiest pulley to get to. I will get you a pic in the next hour or so.

Also for the water pump pulley once you get the belt off check the waterpump for a loose bearing. if its not loose I would worry about what the pulley looks like it could just be an elusion(sp?) with the paint marks for something.

The thermostat neck and oil cooler parts can be had at your not so friendly Ford dealer but you will certainly get them cheaper at the webs sites.

The oil pan is sealed by a special silcone sealant but I would guess its not the pan leaking that is causing that oil drip. I think it might be coming from your oil cooler.

I will return in a while with some pics for you.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
To get the belt off you get a socket (mine uses a regular bolt head) or torx which ever it is and push it to the passenger side then slip the belt off the easiest pulley to get to. I will get you a pic in the next hour or so.

Also for the water pump pulley once you get the belt off check the waterpump for a loose bearing. if its not loose I would worry about what the pulley looks like it could just be an elusion(sp?) with the paint marks for something.

The thermostat neck and oil cooler parts can be had at your not so friendly Ford dealer but you will certainly get them cheaper at the webs sites.

The oil pan is sealed by a special silcone sealant but I would guess its not the pan leaking that is causing that oil drip. I think it might be coming from your oil cooler.

I will return in a while with some pics for you.
I already ordered the thermostat neck housing from DirectFordparts for $30, that included shipping. Also, how hard is it to get ot eht power steering lines? It looks like I might need to replace those. I actually look forward to doing this stuff because I learn more and more about the truck. Every time I replace something I have a newer truck! If water pump pulley is bad where can I buy one? I didn't see one listed on FordDirectparts website.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Here a tensioner pic

Tndiesel you not the only one who has leaks! went to tak e apics of the tensioner and noticed that my Thermostat housing is leaking as well after I did my thermostat a week ago or so. Guess I gotta reseal mine as well.

Anyway I would get a few cans of brake cleaner and clean all the oil from the power steering lines and verify they are relaly leaking cause it would not be unheard of to either have the oil cooler getting oil on them or have it coming fromw somewhere else.

As for the water pump pulley Ford will be the best place to get it from.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Here a tensioner pic

Tndiesel you not the only one who has leaks! went to tak e apics of the tensioner and noticed that my Thermostat housing is leaking as well after I did my thermostat a week ago or so. Guess I gotta reseal mine as well.

Anyway I would get a few cans of brake cleaner and clean all the oil from the power steering lines and verify they are relaly leaking cause it would not be unheard of to either have the oil cooler getting oil on them or have it coming fromw somewhere else.

As for the water pump pulley Ford will be the best place to get it from.
Thanks for the pic, sorry about your leak. The tensioner looks easy enough but I'm the nothing is easy PSD owner.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Just got under the truck and could see better in the daylight. It appears that the oil cooler is leaking from the front worse than from the rear. Is there a way to fix the rear and front of the oil cooler from leaking? Where can I get the necessary hardware?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

To fix the oil cooler you need the parts I linked earlier from the powerstrokeshop.com. they have a kit that includes the gaskets for the block to cooler and also the o-rings needed for the tube to header (oil filter housing and front header) connections.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
tndiesel go here for a good pictorial and explanation with p/n's

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1091...28475244Ddfqrf

Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Thanks for the oil cooler pics, but I'm sure when Itackle this I'll have many questions--bare with me please.

I am now attempting to get the belt off and check the pulleys. I have a 50 Torx bit that fits perfect into the 50 torx bolt. My Torx bit is L shaped like a Allen wrench. So when I put it in and turn it towards the passenger side of truck the bolt just broke loose and feels like it's just unscrewing. How the heck do I release the tension on the tensioner pulley now?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:27 PM
MLCinNCTX
Senior User
Originally Posted by tndiesel
Thanks for the oil cooler pics, but I'm sure when Itackle this I'll have many questions--bare with me please.

I am now attempting to get the belt off and check the pulleys. I have a 50 Torx bit that fits perfect into the 50 torx bolt. My Torx bit is L shaped like a Allen wrench. So when I put it in and turn it towards the passenger side of truck the bolt just broke loose and feels like it's just unscrewing. How the heck do I release the tension on the tensioner pulley now?
Are you turning the bolt that is in the red circle that was posted. I know in that picture it is a hex bolt, but that is the tensioner. and the tensioner is what you need to pull to the passenger side to relief the tension on the belt.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
It looks like you are turning the idler pulley or the center of the tensioner. You want to pull on the tensioner pulley like the one in the red circle in the above pic.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
MAn, I'm a moron. Of course I was turning the wrong one, I got it off easy. Now for the pulleys--The little pulley at the very top spins free and well but it has just an ever so slight back and forth motion to it if I grab it at 9 and 3 position and try to rock it. Imean it's not much but it's there. I took it off and the torx bolt that goes through it has a hard plastic thing over it that allows the pulley to spin and that is where the slight play is. I don't really know if it's normal or not because I've never checked this before.
The other pulley that is the same size as this one also spins freely and has absolutely no play at all when I grab 9 and 3 and try to rock it. Water pump pulley is good and everything else except: The power steering wheel has no side to side play but will go in and out if you push or pull on it about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch. It appears this is supposed todo this but again I have no idea. It also doesn't appear to have a torx bolt holding it on but something with a hole in it. So I'm obviously confused somewhat, thanks for all ya'll's halp and patience with me.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
tndiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by tndiesel
MAn, I'm a moron. Of course I was turning the wrong one, I got it off easy. Now for the pulleys--The little pulley at the very top spins free and well but it has just an ever so slight back and forth motion to it if I grab it at 9 and 3 position and try to rock it. Imean it's not much but it's there. I took it off and the torx bolt that goes through it has a hard plastic thing over it that allows the pulley to spin and that is where the slight play is. I don't really know if it's normal or not because I've never checked this before.
The other pulley that is the same size as this one also spins freely and has absolutely no play at all when I grab 9 and 3 and try to rock it. Water pump pulley is good and everything else except: The power steering wheel has no side to side play but will go in and out if you push or pull on it about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch. It appears this is supposed todo this but again I have no idea. It also doesn't appear to have a torx bolt holding it on but something with a hole in it. So I'm obviously confused somewhat, thanks for all ya'll's halp and patience with me.
shamless bump

Quick Reply: Wow! just found numerous trouble areas