YF carb switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 02:55 PM
dcs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post YF carb switch

I have a Carter Yf carb from a 240 six-cylinder I'd like to use on a 300. Does anyone see any problems with that? I can't find enough info on the carb to know if it is the same as the 300 YF, or not.

Also, I've run across a refernce to using "strip kit" jet sets for Carter AFB carbs in the YF carbs to increase performance, can anyone fill me in on this?

What changes or improvements can be made to the YF to get more out of the 300, without going to extremes?

Old 04-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Phil_F
New User
YF carb switch

I got some advice about the carter YF carb from an old machinist friend of mine & basically, what you see is what you get. you're not going to make any more significant HP out of that carb past what it's designed for stock. you could go with slightly larger jets for the 240 to 300 conversion since the flange is exactly the same and it should bolt right on. You may have to fab up a bracket for the throttle cable since there are a few different types. the good thing that I've noticed about hte carb is that with careful rebuilding and paying close attention to the float setting, you can tune the carb for wherever you want to go. I love 4 wheeling and spend a lot of time severely off camber and the YF has only stalled out when I tried surging forward. Probably just an issue of the jet getting starved momentarily. I was thinking about swapping out to a custom intake with a Weber 44 DCOE since they take sloshing fuel with no sweat, but I'm not sure since Ford's stock YF downdraft works great. Not as much torque as I'd want or HP, but if I keep her going slow & steady, that carb just keeps working whatever angle I'm at.

Old 04-15-2002, 12:47 PM
dcs
New User
Post YF carb switch

Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I'm not looking for big hoursepower ganes, but every little bit helps. Any hints on jetting this carb? I'm just getting up to speed on old Ford stuff. I used to be pretty good at VW engine tuning, but haven't done anything serious with water cooled, American made machinery.

My goal is to set my old van up as simply as possible. The YF carb, without all the feedback stuff, etc. Is about as simpple as I can locate, and still work OK on the 300. I've also got the manifold to go with it--Came off an old pre-emmission control van. I don't have extra emmisions rules to deal with here, so I can keep it simple.

Old 04-15-2002, 10:52 PM
whaynes
Senior User
YF carb switch