Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4wd-auto only????

Old 07-05-2009, 11:31 AM
60FordDriver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd-auto only????

I have a 98 Explorer with 185k miles, auto/v6. My prob is when you switch the 4wd switch from 4-auto to 4-hi/4-lo it does nothing. On my moms 99 a light comes on and it engages. My won't engage in hi/lo just stays in auto. I don't use 4wd much, but would like to have it when I need it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
The shift motor on the T/C controls 4Hi to 4Lo, re/re and your problems will go away.

To maintain this mechanism in good working order you should shift Hi-Lo at least monthly.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM
60FordDriver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this a kinda plug and play repair or is it going to involve an afternoon? I am very mechanically inclined just this is my only mode of transportation so I need to know if i'll be laid up for a day. So this should fix the prob? 4wd engages when they sense slip in the rear just can't lock in 4hi/lo? Also, is this a dealer part or parts store item? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
This is a quote from a past post

"There was a post on the internet somewhere that told how to rebuild the motor. I can't remember the link but here is the solution:

It is almost always a small plastic bushing in side the gear part of the motor!!! many many good motors are thrown away or replaced at a high cost because of this.

attached to the electric motor is the worm gear box and a position sensor. take the motor off the transfer case, mark the position of the cover plate which covers the sensor. this is VERY important to mark this. take the sensor out, then take out the nylon gear. on the other side of the gear there is a round screw head with a plastic bushing around it. my plastic bushing was actually gone ! some are still there but have a flat spot on them. if they are gone or have a flat spot, the gear will travel out of position which then confuses the computer and the motor won't work!! presto.

so you can cut a fuel line hose or in my case i stacked a couple of vacuum caps on the screw....then trimmed them to length. put it all back together and it works perfectly every time."

You may drive the truck with the shift motor removed, about 20 min to get it out, an hour to rebuild, 20min back in...

Search this Thread