Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

So, tell me about living in Northern Utah...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, tell me about living in Northern Utah...

Hey all, I am considering moving to Utah near Salt Lake City. Actually, it would probably be to Tooele, and I would work in Salt Lake. I currently live in the fields of Illinois.

I'm just wondering what it's like living out there...

Are there annual vehichle/equipment inspections?
Emissions testing?
Do cars rust out quick or stay nice?
Are many vehicles stolen?
Is a parking brake required for safe parking? It's so flat around here that I can park in neutral and still not roll away, and I have no idea if my parking brake even works

Any other good or bad information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have a '97 5.0 Explorer and a '79 F150 that I would bring with me.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I grew up in Tooele, and my parents are still out there. In general, the place has been growing like crazy for the past 10 years or so, so it has changed a lot from when I left to make my fortune.

It's not flat, but it's not the stereotypical San Francisco either.

Are you planning to commute into SLC or work in Tooele? While the commute into SLC is a lot better since SR36 was made 4 lanes, neither of my parents is fond of the commute. There's essentially one road (SR36/I80) between SLC and Tooele. It usually goes ok, but when something goes wrong, it can be aggravating. It would probably depend on where in Salt Lake County I was working, but I don't know that I'd want that commute every day.

In a lot of ways, Tooele is a nice "small" town, though. ~20000 when I lived there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has doubled since then. Big enough to have some anonymity, but small enough not to get completely lost in.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info mrshorty. My girlfriend has a friend that lives in Tooele so she wants to move out there to get away from her parents and be closer to her friend. I don't have a job lined up yet, but I hope to find something as close to Tooele as possible. I can do a variety of jobs, and I have a Class A CDL, so finding a job hopefully won't be too difficult.