Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Elder User

DesertStorm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DesertStorm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Another timing belt Q

I changed my belt but left the cover off. Will this cause any adverse effects other that mud/dirt getting on the belt? I still have the cover but it was cracked,faded etc. so i didnt re-install. What are some thoughts?

94 Ranger 2WD/2.3L/5speed/4.56 gears/33" Wild Country MTs/lincoln locker
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

TigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputationTigerDan has a superb reputation
The cover is mostly for safety, so you don't get articles of clothing or bodily appendages caught in the belt when working around a running engine. It's also to protect the belt.

When I was racing mini-stocks, we never ran the cover. We also ran adjustable cam pulleys so we needed to be able to access them easily. You shouldn't have a problem leaving the cover off...

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Elder User

DesertStorm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DesertStorm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cool, thanks i am glad you re-assured me. When i took the cover off there was more mud/dirt on the timing belt than there was around it and on the serpentine belt. i guess the cover trapped all the debris behind it. Now i can keep an eye on the belt and keep it all clean and free of debris.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Elder User

kotzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
As long as nothing of any size gets caught up in the belt you won't have a problem. Something such as a pice of crushed stone or something could knock the belt off or out of time. That was the reason for the cover as well as safety which has been mentioned. kotzy
Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
Road debris and fingers. One will hurt the belt and one will hurt you. They did not put the cover on for fun. The engineers are always looking to cut material costs, and they did the minimum for the belt cover. The original covers were made of sheet metal, and were HARD to get off/on because the mounting tabs were just not lined up with the holes in the head/block. And you had to get them past the crank pulley, water pump pulley etc. Maybe I should have removed the crank pulley first...
If you made a million or so engines, and could save 50 cents on each one... you'd do it. They did. And they still put the cover on. Do your own thing. tom
Old 11-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.jimdandy has a good reputation on FTE.
Many cut the top half(1/4) of the cover off to expose the cam sprocket for adjustment purposes or for looks(to some there is something about being able to see spinning gears). If you can use the bottom half, I would do it to keep out that pesky frenchman, Mr. Debris. jd
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Postmaster

tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.tomw has a very good reputation on FTE.
I wonder if it would save gas to remove parts of the timing belt cover. Surely the added air movement would aid in cooling.. heh
t

Last edited by tomw; 11-24-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: off topic
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Elder User

BTW, i took the truck out yesterday. Played in the mud and woods. Drove it for about 8 hours Friday. No problems, no mud even got on the belt or near it the mud was about 18 inches deep. I think the air movement from the fan keeps most of the crud from getting near it. Anyhow, just my personal observation.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM