Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Elder User

Dialtone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Adjustable caster/camber cam kit install Question.

I have a quick question on installation of the upper control arm cam adjuster bolt kit.
99 F150 2WD

Is there any particular way to initially set the eccentric bolt/washer combo when installing a kit along with replacement upper control arms?

Should it initially be set up/down/sideways (left/right).
I will be getting an alignment, but it may be a few days off and I need to be able to dirve the vehicle in the mean time, so some general tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dialtone
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Posting Guru

KingRanchMan02 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KingRanchMan02 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am by far no expert here, but common sense says straight up. Good luck!
FTE Ride of The Week, 4/20/09 !!!
`08 Mercury Sable Premier, 3.5L Duratec, 6 speed auto
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
before you loosen the bolts on the a-frame, mark the location with a black marker or center punch- both bolts. put them back in the same location. if you want to install the cam kit, o.k., or just take it with you and give to the allignment guys.... i have done several upper arms and all i do is center punch the frame around the washer on the bolt head, then put them back in that same spot.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Elder User

Wilber15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you take the bolt and nut out, you'll see where they were installed(at least in northern mn, you can see the rust around the bolt). Put the washer and bolt combo in so that they closely line up. I guess I never really pay alot of attention, because when I'm putting them in, it's already on the alignment rack and I'll be adjusting them within 5 minutes anyways. But you may even be able to see where the arm itself was lined up on the inside of the frame and just turn the bolt after it's in and line the 2 marks up....you'll see what i'm talking about after you have the bolt/nut out....

Ford Dealership Tech...
Ford Diesel Apprentice...
Old 11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Elder User

Dialtone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, Just finished up replacing both sides, and the job was easy enough. About 30 minites per side (once I located the proper size wrenches/ sockets to use)
Curious though that the factory had installed a rectangular "locator" plate on the nut side of the original setup. This plate basically "fixed" the bolt position in the slotted frame mounts, so I just reinstalled them. Will take the adjusters to the shop when I get it aligned.
But I really do not see what the big deal is. Looks like one could remove the locator plates and slip the bolts along the slots to get the proper alignment without the fancy cam bolt setup. Looks like a waste of $45.00 to me, but possibly I am not seeing the big picture here.

Thanks for the replies.
Dialtone
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
i have had 50 guys tell me you cant align it without the cams. I have nvere ever seen one of the cam kits. do it all the time like we talked above. just put it back where it came from. you rright, you dont need the cams.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Elder User

Wilber15 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've aligned the without the cam kits. SUCKS!! You have to fight with the upper control arm and hold it in place while your tighten the bolts. It's not worth my time(or losing my time) to fight the alignment without the kit. It's 100 times easier to align it with the cams.

and the spacer that is factory installed sets the caster camber to a predetermined measurement, so they don't have to align it before shipping.

Ford Dealership Tech...
Ford Diesel Apprentice...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Postmaster

Silver Streak is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilber15
I've aligned the without the cam kits. SUCKS!! You have to fight with the upper control arm and hold it in place while your tighten the bolts. It's not worth my time(or losing my time) to fight the alignment without the kit. It's 100 times easier to align it with the cams.

and the spacer that is factory installed sets the caster camber to a predetermined measurement, so they don't have to align it before shipping.
+1. If I have to add the cam bolts during an aligntment it adds about $60 to the price. If I have to do it without them it adds about $100. Lots of people say that's not right, but I've got bills to pay too and I'm not going to waste my time dinking around with something because some cheap skate won't do it right. If you just ditch the spacer you probably can't get the bolts tight enough to keep it from moving around without binding things up. The cam bolts are the way to go.
145 rwhp, 272 rwtq

2001 Lightning #127
13.18@104, no chip, no pulley, no nitrous

Confuscious say "Man who have no use for jackstand have promising career as jackstand".
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Elder User

pancake is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive got a 99f150 4x4

was looking into replacing stock right upper ctl arm/ball joint myself and had no idea about this adjustment kit...is it safe to assume that it would be pointless to install the new parts (including this kit)only on one side or does it make the alignment a nightmare and a half for the shop with one moog aftermarket adjustable and one stock ford part working with on a limited budget but if i have to replace both sides with the adj kit then it will be done that way
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
adj, adjusters, arm, cam, camber, cams, caster, castercam, control, f150, f250, ford, kit, replacing, truck, upper