Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Junior User

fordmustangfan67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bull Bars...

Wanted to know if any of you that have bull bars could tell me how strong they actually are. Are they made to withstand any impact or are they just for show? I hit a deer a couple of weeks ago that screwed up my bumper right in the middle and was wondering if this would have saved this from happening. Thanks guys.

fordmustangfan67

2005 F250 6.0L Ex Cab Long Box 4x4
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Senior User

jwshobe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The short answer to your question is both.

It depends on the quality of it. I have seen some that look awesome, but you can tell that they wouldn't stand up to any kind of impact. On the other hand I have seen some that look like crap, but looked like you could hit a deer doing 100 and wouldn't dent it.

Hopes this helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Junior User

fordmustangfan67 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any idea of the brands of any of the better ones and possibly the prices?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Postmaster

PowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to beholdPowerStrokeHD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmustangfan67
Any idea of the brands of any of the better ones and possibly the prices?
Here is a link to a recent thread with some of the information you are looking for...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...u-call-em.html
Old 11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Elder User

Dustball8504 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Westins ultimate bullbar is pretty nice, it can take a beating. I had one on my ranger and whacked a deer doing about 55 and didn't even phase it. Be careful though because Westin also sells one that is just for looks and I saw one of those the other day that was all sorts of messed up from a deer. You pay a little more for the ultimate bullbar but its worth it in my opinion.
1969 AMC SC/Hurst Rambler - Getting Restored
http://www.youtube.com/dustball8504
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior User

bigrey6306 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bigrey6306 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
why not get a grille guard?
will offer more protection
I had a bull bar on my truck for a while
kissed a few poles with it and it put small dents in it
I am sure if I hit a deer straight on and in the middle of my truck it would have saved some serious damage, but it only protects the front center...
Click the image to open in full size.
Few other things
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...115_6575-1.jpg
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Most deer strikes are off to the side anyway, so a bull bar wouldn't do much good.

Most brush guards would just fold under the impact. They might end up damaging your truck worse. It'd be like giving the deer a pipe to hit your truck with.

If you want deer proof bumpers, expect to pay some serious coin. I've looked at some, price seems to be around $2000 for a bumper that will deflect a 150-200 lb animal impact at 60 MPH. My insurance deductible is less than half of that.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Elder User

Dustball8504 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrey6306
why not get a grille guard?
will offer more protection
I had a bull bar on my truck for a while
kissed a few poles with it and it put small dents in it
I am sure if I hit a deer straight on and in the middle of my truck it would have saved some serious damage, but it only protects the front center...

....with the 8 inches of lift, do you really have to worry about deer hitting the bullbar or actually hitting the pumpkin? lol.
1969 AMC SC/Hurst Rambler - Getting Restored
http://www.youtube.com/dustball8504
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Elder User

david.brady is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
David Brady
I have the same Westin bar as Bigrey's and hit a deer doin bout 50 mph; struck the front passenger side. It was at night so I wasnt able to see any immediate damage, the next morning I looked and couldnt even tell where the deer hit or see any signs at all it had even happened. I dont remember seeing it actually hit the bar, though, it jumped into the middle of the road and tried retreating but didnt make it.

When installing my Westin, the first thing I thought was that it was pretty much just for show as it only has two mounts. But if I had to say, I think it would protect to a point, depending on how large the animal and how fast one was traveling.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
You need something like this HBS Patriot bumper to take a deer strike:

http://www.hbsteel.net/siteSpecific/...spx?entryID=11

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Oh, I didn't see the bumper in the photo at first...
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 11-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Rather Be Floatin

RedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to behold
Costa Kaldanis
What bumper?
2" Leveling Kit, Hutch/Harpoon, Foil Delete Mod, Upgraded boots, Undone CCV Mod, A/C Improvement Mod, GPR LED, Michelin LT285/75R/16 LTX AT2's, TRU-COOL cooler, Train Horns
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Posting Guru

SUPERDUTY_untouchabl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=redford]You need something like this HBS Patriot bumper to take a deer strike:

http://www.hbsteel.net/siteSpecific/portfolioEntry/PortfolioEntryDetail.aspx?entryID=11[/QUOTE]

Not only is it strong it comes with a free chick to ride in the truck with you.....
04 F150 4.6l Gryphon Powered 2wd reg cab XL 3:55 LS SISO Flowmaster S40 NCD Customs 2.5" Leveling Kit Burner High Power Fog Lights 285/70/17 BFG A/T KO's
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
03, bar, bars, bull, bumper, bumpers, deer, duty, f150, f250, f350, ford, guard, proof, super, truck, trucks