2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel vibration at highway speeds

I have noticed since the day I drove my truck off the lot i have a very slight steering wheel vibration at highway speed. 60-70mph. It does NOT do it all the time, it is more pronounced on rougher highways, but sometimes it is smooth as glass. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I have the factory 20" wheels and Pirelli Scorpion ATRs.<o></o>

<o></o>

I was thinking the tires need to be rebalanced.<o></o>

<o></o>

Hopefully this is not a common problem, any input is appreciated.<o></o>

<o></o>

Thanks!<o></o>

Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
73mach1
Senior User
go have them balanced its an easy thing to do. thats the first thing any shop will do.

http://media.putfile.com/feast

Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Tjsmith
New User
Same problem

I recently just bought a F150 King Ranch 2007 and I noticed the vibrations of the tires when I test drove the truck and I mentioned this to the salesman and he replied that he could fix it. However, when i took the truck back to the dealership, they said they had fixed the problem but my tires still have the vibration and bounce. They claim now that it is the type of tire it is and that their is nothing they could about it. They said they balanced my tires but like i said before, the tires are still the same. What have you done so far about your tires? I have went so far as to call Detroit to main office and they replied that they can't help with the situation. I am thinking that this is a poor manufactoring company that can't correct their problems. What is your input on this?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the 20" and I notice they don't feel right unless the pressure all around is exactly the same. In cool weather, they drop a bit and need a more frequent top up.
Try an electronic pressure guage. You can get a talking digital one at Radio Shack for $5. Am running them at 40lbs and all is well. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
mbw919
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You might want to have another shop try to balance them. I bought a new FX4 with 18" BFG tires in August. When I went to buy it, they couldn't find the keys so I test drove a similar truck and it seemed to have a tire balance problem. The day I drove mine home it felt like it had a rear tire out of balance around 55-60 mph and I could even see the top of the bed vibrating up and down at that speed. I took it back 4 days later and they re-balanced both rear tires yet at the same time told me it felt normal to them and that "road feel is normal in this type of vehicle". They also blamed me for having "too much air in the tires". I reminded them that the truck was only 4 days old and I had not even checked the tire pressure since their tech prepped it and put his initials on an pre-delivery inspection sticker inside the windshield. It was slightly better but still not good enough so I took it to my favorite local tire shop. They are small and simple, but do good work. I had recently tipped the technician after he installed tires on our car because he always does a good job and torques the lug nuts properly. He found the left rear tire out of balance on my new truck and made it right. It only cost me $20 ($12 for balancing and an $8 tip with a suggestion he spend it on a couple cold ones after work).

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Most of the time tire balance is the prob with st wheel shake. But you could have a bent rim, or out of round tire too.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Edge68474
Freshman User
Smile

I have the 20" Scorpions on my 07 FX4. No problems out the gate ( Dealer ). I test drove it on bumpy roads to freeway. Then I did a ride down the coast and back on I-5, speeds at 70 to 80.
Ran like a charm, tires and all.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
I have the 20" and I notice they don't feel right unless the pressure all around is exactly the same. In cool weather, they drop a bit and need a more frequent top up.

I would have to agree with this one also. I have had issues with my 20's due to low air pressure and balance issues. Have them re-balanced and maintain 40 psi. At 35 psi the tires will flat spot overnight and be miserable for the first 1-4 miles until they round back out.

Good luck!

Mike Aka QKADCT
'06 SCREW FX4

"Waiting on those crappy Pirelli's to wear out for some 325/55/20 BFG KM2's"

Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

My '05 F-150 had the same problem. Took it to my local mechanic who took off the 2 front tires and rebalanced them. Checked air pressure and took it out on the interstate. No vibration at all! Hard to believe the dealer missed it..............

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Quack Addict
I have the 20" and I notice they don't feel right unless the pressure all around is exactly the same. In cool weather, they drop a bit and need a more frequent top up.

I would have to agree with this one also. I have had issues with my 20's due to low air pressure and balance issues. Have them re-balanced and maintain 40 psi. At 35 psi the tires will flat spot overnight and be miserable for the first 1-4 miles until they round back out.

Good luck!

Mike Aka QKADCT
'06 SCREW FX4

my problem exactly, vibration within the first couple miles on the highway. I am running them at 36PSI, i will air up to 40PSI this evening.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Bob07FX2
New User
I have the same setup on my 07 FX2. I'm not sure if it's the tire compound or what, but I too notice that if I don't drive the truck for a couple of days, the tire gets a "flat spot" and after a few miles, it goes away.

Originally Posted by Quack Addict

Good luck!

Mike Aka QKADCT
'06 SCREW FX4

Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
I bought New 285 18 Silent Armor this summer. I have had a night mare getting them balanced. I have been back three times, and I went to another shop and paid 120 bucks and they still vibrate. I mean come on, balancing is a no brainer. I paid way to much for those tires, and they are on a Lariat. I feel a law suit coming on here. I know one thing, I ain't going down and sitting in the Good year tire shop for another three hours, to try and get my tires balanced. I figure maybe they need to hire REAL tire techs, instead of grabbing someone off the street and paying them 5.75 an hour!
Man I am so mad I could pop!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
i am going to air mine up in the morning

Last edited by wreedZ71; 11-15-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM
stratus225
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob07FX2
I have the same setup on my 07 FX2. I'm not sure if it's the tire compound or what, but I too notice that if I don't drive the truck for a couple of days, the tire gets a "flat spot" and after a few miles, it goes away.
I think you have hit the nail on the head Bob. At our dealership (saturn saab) the new Saturn Aura, very nice vehicle, has been having the same issues. Slight vibration usually at higher speeds, but not all the time. The first one we had back with the complaint we replaced the entire front end of the vehicle including a set of tires and rims off of another brand new vehicle on the lot. Vibration still persisted....many calls later to saturn tech assistance and our shop foreman using his noodle we came to the conclusion it was the type of tire on the vehicle. We then started to roadtest the rest that we had on the lot, sure enough, any Aura with this type of tire vs. any one that had another brand had the same vibration..flat spots! And this was after sitting for only two weeks on the lot. We did some investigation and dicovered the tires that were causing the vibration had a very high nylon content in the cords of the tire. Sure enough not two weeks after we discover this and let Saturn Canada know what we have found out comes a service bulletin on the issue stating there is nothing that can be done and the feeling will lessen in time.
I'm not saying this is the problem with the 20's on the fords but it might warrant some looking into, especially if the vehicle sat on the lot for more than a couple weeks before it was sold.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
What type of tire was on the Aura?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibration at highway speeds