Removel of Upper Intake Manifold on 4.2L to clean EGR ports

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Rupter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removel of Upper Intake Manifold on 4.2L to clean EGR ports

Hello to All,

My first post at this great informative site. I have a 98 e150 van with the 4.2L engine...78k miles. It has a misfire in the#6 cylinder. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed plugs and wires. I told them that I just replaced them recently, so they came back and said it needed a coil pack. They replaced that, but it did not solve the problem of misfire at low rpm. Now they state that the egr ports are clogged and the upper intake manifold needs to be taken off so they can clean them..cost..$240.00. Does anyone know how hard this is to do to my van engine. I am mechanically inclined.. I just replaced the front rotors and brakes on it. Is there another way to clean the ports without taking the whole manifold off? Any responses or comments would be much appreciated..thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Have you had to add coolant? Is your coolant level low?
To get your upper plenum off you'll have to gain access to the front end of the engine;see all that stuff you'll have to remove?After that its a piece of cake.BTW,read this;
http://forums.treemedia.com/fb/showthread.php?t=224

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi! And welcome to FTE. Glad to have you here.

As mentioned above, it's pretty much a what-you-see is what-you-get proposition.
I have not done it myself but several guys here have over the years. I don't think it is an extremely complicated process. Just takes time and tools.

I'd buy a Haynes or Chilton's manual before starting. They are not perfect, but would sure be better than nothing.

Again, nice to have you here. Hope you stick around.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Rupter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Have you had to add coolant? Is your coolant level low?
To get your upper plenum off you'll have to gain access to the front end of the engine;see all that stuff you'll have to remove?After that its a piece of cake.BTW,read this;
http://forums.treemedia.com/fb/showthread.php?t=224
Thanks for the response and link! No, I have not had to add any coolant. The level has stayed constant since I bought it new in 99. I have yet to have THAT dreaded problem. I checked my engine build date after reading some posts here, and the build date is (2/16/98). I keep my fingers crossed that what has happened to so many owners of this engine does not happen to mine.

I briefly read through that link, cringing as I read. I will be reading it much more. I know I could do the work myself and will most likely give it a go. I think all I need, as for parts, would be a new gasket? Thanks for the input and I will keep you up to date.

Originally Posted by BrianA
I'd buy a Haynes or Chilton's manual before starting.
Again, nice to have you here. Hope you stick around.
I plan on purchasing one..and thanks for the suggestions. I hope to regularly visit this forum and give any input that I can.