1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Fan clutch / water pump threads not left handed???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
wustang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fan clutch / water pump threads not left handed???

Well I gone and done it.

Two days to remove fan clutch... Left hand threaded right? Of course aren't they all opposite the water pump rotation so they don't spin off! Must be wrenched on...

Took a bolt through the water pump pulley, and clamped a c-clamp to the pulley, and attached cheater bars to my left-hand threaded metric cresent wrench and the c-clamp... stripped out the fan clutch to water pump threads.

Haynes: "On some models, the fan clutch hub is left-hand thread (turn clockwise to loosen)."

Well I have that one that's not left hand thread...
1997 F-150 4x4 4.6 Short bed (build date 6/1995).

Destructions says on some models (more like all but mine models). I feel lied to. Let this be a warning, non-left hand threaded water pumps / clutch fans really do exist.

Well enough moaning, the damage is done. Anybody got an electric fan setup idea? Already have modified 200 amp alternator. Might just as well put it to good use as the new fan clutch assy is $187 and I doubt anybody has the non left hand threaded clutch just lying around that they're itching to sell.

Thx for ideas (sure they're on this board somewhere)!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i did not know any were left handed ?-- are you talking about the 4 bolts holding the fan to the water pump? you still need the pulley on the pump to make the water pump work.. you can get an electric fan at Auto Zone with a thermo switch.. some guys take the electric fans off the bigger FORD cars and retro fit.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
RedDragon777
Senior User
hmm makes me wonder if my friends 1995 5.8L Cobra R fan will work on the truck

Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
wustang
New User
Well quite interestingly enough, it sucked and I never want to go through two days of that again! I've done some research, and found the kits to be just to darn expensive for me yet. I've just broke this truck in at 160k. Think it is time to get creative with my wife's hair dryer!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I had the same thing, everyone was telling me to turn opposite to the rotation of the pump.....wrong! I was lucky the rental tool wrench spread open before damage was done, then i went to a large adjustable wrench and turned the other way and out she came.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
fan clutches are cheap........ buy one at autozone. and waterpumps are too. its going to be cheaper to replace all of the messed up items than to convert

Matt

Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So did you use "a large adjustable wrench" or your "trusty recip saw to finish the job" as you'd previously posted on the Fan Clutch thread?

Originally Posted by xtrford
I had the same thing, everyone was telling me to turn opposite to the rotation of the pump.....wrong! I was lucky the rental tool wrench spread open before damage was done, then i went to a large adjustable wrench and turned the other way and out she came.

I know of the (fan clutch) tool you speak of. I did aquire one from a shop via "loan a tool" when I did my old truck....considering the age at the time the threads didn't budge, then I went to the trusty recip saw to finish the job. Hopefully I won't have to do this to my 02.
You also ridiculed Haynes despite it's sound advice: "On some models, the fan clutch hub is left-hand thread (turn clockwise to loosen)" & citing Haynes yourself. Haynes next sentence is: "Refer to the belt routing label on the fan shroud, if the hub nut is left-handed thread it should be stated as such on the label." In any event, if you find yourself struggling futilely, instead of forcing it to the point of bending tools or destroying parts, it really would be worth a try to change direction.

The threaded fan clutch-water pump connection is designed to make it quick & easy to remove the fan. My experience has been: put a wrench on them, strike the handle a few times with a hammer, they pop free w/o drama & unscrew easily by hand. Hard to imagine anyone could've "stripped out the fan clutch to water pump threads" just loosening the hub-perhaps it had been cross threaded previously!

wustang's situation: "I have that one that's not left hand thread...
1997 F-150 4x4 4.6 Short bed (build date 6/1995)." is a bit mysterious, a '97 built in June of '95? FORD sells millions of these annually, IMO there's very little reason to "doubt" both thread types are available. Presumably still running your original water pump? Sure does sound like a good time to replace the 13 YO "160k" pump, get a matching fan clutch & be done with it. When I suspected my fan clutch might be making noise in Sept I was quoted a price under $70 total. Shop around "$187" sounds high even for the Stealership!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
So did you use "a large adjustable wrench" or your "trusty recip saw to finish the job" as you'd previously posted on the Fan Clutch thread?

You also ridiculed Haynes despite it's sound advice: "On some models, the fan clutch hub is left-hand thread (turn clockwise to loosen)" & citing Haynes yourself. Haynes next sentence is: "Refer to the belt routing label on the fan shroud, if the hub nut is left-handed thread it should be stated as such on the label." In any event, if you find yourself struggling futilely, instead of forcing it to the point of bending tools or destroying parts, it really would be worth a try to change direction.

The threaded fan clutch-water pump connection is designed to make it quick & easy to remove the fan. My experience has been: put a wrench on them, strike the handle a few times with a hammer, they pop free w/o drama & unscrew easily by hand. Hard to imagine anyone could've "stripped out the fan clutch to water pump threads" just loosening the hub-perhaps it had been cross threaded previously!

wustang's situation: "I have that one that's not left hand thread...
1997 F-150 4x4 4.6 Short bed (build date 6/1995)." is a bit mysterious, a '97 built in June of '95? FORD sells millions of these annually, IMO there's very little reason to "doubt" both thread types are available. Presumably still running your original water pump? Sure does sound like a good time to replace the 13 YO "160k" pump, get a matching fan clutch & be done with it. When I suspected my fan clutch might be making noise in Sept I was quoted a price under $70 total. Shop around "$187" sounds high even for the Stealership!
Speaking of tools ^^^^ you do not have to hit it with a hammer to loosen the nut, it will come off with a little encouragement from your hands. Like I said before, the old F150 had the thread direction stamped into the rad support, where as my 02 doesn't. The loan-a-tool construction was very flimsy and failed with little pressure, so a large adjustable wrench did the trick to a tee.
Bringing other threads into this discussion just proves your obsessed with me about everything. You look like an idiot everytime and getting creepier by the minute. Read posts more carefully before your fantasy induced mind starts rambling off on past threads weirdo.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
02crew
Senior User
wow , how about those new england patriots.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
You're the one who said the threads didn't budge, couldn't decide which way the threads went, bent the special tools & claimed to have used your "trusty recip saw to finish the job". IMO that "just proves" you resorted to considerably more than "a little encouragement from your hands".

I did not suggest you "have to hit it with a hammer" only that striking the end of the wrench handle easily loosened my (3) fan clutch hubs-the point being that it can be done w/o the special tools or mutilating anything. Striking w/hammer allowed me to eliminate the need to try to hold the pump pulley from turning.

Originally Posted by xtrford
you do not have to hit it with a hammer to loosen the nut, it will come off with a little encouragement from your hands.
Bringing other threads into this discussion just proves your obsessed with me about everything. You look like an idiot everytime and getting creepier by the minute. Read posts more carefully before your fantasy induced mind starts rambling off on past threads weirdo.
If it takes trying to convince yourself publicly I'm "obsessed with" you to get you through the day, you're the one who will "look like an idiot everytime". That's the kind of off topic BS that's making your unnecessary responses "creepier by the minute". The "other thread" was on the same topic & its perfectly reasonable "Bringing" it in. The fact that you claimed to have used your "trusty recip saw" to remove a fan clutch certainly was not "fantasy induced" on my part-it quoted you directly. Perhaps you were the "weirdo" spewing "fantasy"?

No, its clear to see you're the one who's "obsessed" & has a compulsion to hurl personal insults. My concern is contributing on topic advice & pointing out inconsistancies, so that members might be spared repeating others' mistakes. Hopefully no reader will bend the special tools or use a "recip saw" removing a fan clutch.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 AM
bigmtk
Junior User
I had a similar problem the first time I took the fan off my truck.
Haynes book said it was supposed to twist off clockwise, ended up being CCW.
The book I have makes no mention of "on some models".

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
You're the one who said the threads didn't budge, couldn't decide which way the threads went, bent the special tools & claimed to have used your "trusty recip saw to finish the job". IMO that "just proves" you resorted to considerably more than "a little encouragement from your hands".

I did not suggest you "have to hit it with a hammer" only that striking the end of the wrench handle easily loosened my (3) fan clutch hubs-the point being that it can be done w/o the special tools or mutilating anything. Striking w/hammer allowed me to eliminate the need to try to hold the pump pulley from turning.

If it takes trying to convince yourself publicly I'm "obsessed with" you to get you through the day, you're the one who will "look like an idiot everytime". That's the kind of off topic BS that's making your unnecessary responses "creepier by the minute". The "other thread" was on the same topic & its perfectly reasonable "Bringing" it in. The fact that you claimed to have used your "trusty recip saw" to remove a fan clutch certainly was not "fantasy induced" on my part-it quoted you directly. Perhaps you were the "weirdo" spewing "fantasy"?

No, its clear to see you're the one who's "obsessed" & has a compulsion to hurl personal insults. My concern is contributing on topic advice & pointing out inconsistancies, so that members might be spared repeating others' mistakes. Hopefully no reader will bend the special tools or use a "recip saw" removing a fan clutch.
Look at you.......you rephrase everything I say. Yes that is creepy and weird if you ask anyone. The problem with you is the way you repond to everyone's posts with harsh criticism and so far in this section of the forum you have been met with "WTF" from just about every poster. And when someone gives it back including me it is a never ending plastering of mumbo jumbo that results in thread hijacks because you get angry to any other ideas people have to offer. That is not what FTE is about, we are all here to offer assistance and advice that pertains to SUBJECT on hand. You on the other hand make derogatory comments on matters you have no basis on like efans and tuners and so on which have nothing to do with the matter on hand. This thread is a prime example of how things always go wrong when you enter the thread especially when I am on here as well. I have never hijacked any of your threads or posts to try to settle an old debt with you. If anything I have put you in your place along with others and you just can't let things go. Obsessed is hardly giving you enough credit for your deeds around here, even when your are wrong it never ends. May I suggest some sensitivity coarses to help you become a positive member in this forum so you can except other input from members.

I doubt you will take anything I have to say seriously and I expect a long dull reponse to follow this post just to prove my point more so. And i would not go so far as to say you even affect me here what so ever......you act more like a child than my 3 year daughter who follows me everywhere I go, except everyone here has to witness your immaturity. You do it to yourself for that matter, and I don't care if you stay or go forever from FTE. This is just another internet forum that has no bearing on my life but is a useful tool for do-it-yourself type people. So keep up with the good work, I'll be looking for your posts for a good laugh ever so often because you remind me of a clown.

I apologize to the other memebers here in this current thread because of the hijack but if I don't say something now about all this bulls**t Mr. Wagon is pulling, someone else will.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Thanks for reconfirming my conclusion; "its clear to see you're the one who's "obsessed" & has a compulsion to hurl personal insults" in such verbose, fine print, fashion. Your diatribe is 100% personal bashing, 0% on topic & IMO should've been poofed by mods. Your anger & immaturity prevents you from acknowledging that my posts contributed, on topic, positively & criticized only your techniques-not your person. You've become a hypocrite of the 1st order, guilty of every personal charge you've hurled in your attempted hijack of the topic-fan clutches. No need to "doubt" I took your comments about bending special fan clutch tools, confusion over reverse threads & resorting to using your "trusty recip saw" quite "seriously".

Good thing you "apologize to the other memebers here" you're responsible for this flagrant "hijack". Now work on shedding your "fantasy induced" delusion that you speak for everyone, try to return to the topic at hand-the FORD fan clutch & give up amateur psychology. I'm confident that nobody wants to read your vain brand of personal bashing "mumbo jumbo" b/c, in your own words "That is not what FTE is about".

Its also easy to see that you, not me, seeks to "settle an old debt" by bringing in "efans and tuners" even after scolding me for referring to the other thread on fan clutches. Weren't you the one with an "official ignore list"? How's that working out for you?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Thanks for reconfirming my conclusion; "its clear to see you're the one who's "obsessed" & has a compulsion to hurl personal insults" in such verbose, fine print, fashion. Your diatribe is 100% personal bashing, 0% on topic & IMO should've been poofed by mods. Your anger & immaturity prevents you from acknowledging that my posts contributed, on topic, positively & criticized only your techniques-not your person. You've become a hypocrite of the 1st order, guilty of every personal charge you've hurled in your attempted hijack of the topic-fan clutches. No need to "doubt" I took your comments about bending special fan clutch tools, confusion over reverse threads & resorting to using your "trusty recip saw" quite "seriously".

Good thing you "apologize to the other memebers here" you're responsible for this flagrant "hijack". Now work on shedding your "fantasy induced" delusion that you speak for everyone, try to return to the topic at hand-the FORD fan clutch & give up amateur psychology. I'm confident that nobody wants to read your vain brand of personal bashing "mumbo jumbo" b/c, in your own words "That is not what FTE is about".

Its also easy to see that you, not me, seeks to "settle an old debt" by bringing in "efans and tuners" even after scolding me for referring to the other thread on fan clutches. Weren't you the one with an "official ignore list"? How's that working out for you?
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

Go figure, my "amateur" psychology seems be doing the trick on you if that is what you call it. I didn't know I was having that kind of an affect on you, guess you are really interested in me after all.

Still re-quoting everything from past threads......how amusing and predictable you have become. Your rant is the same, but there is nothing of value behind it.

You feel I am scolding you, but I am merely pointing out a fact about yourself. Truth hurts I guess, but don't worry I will be here for a long time to show you the way.

As for the comment about the mods, buddy don't look over your shoulders because someone is watching you, even though you like to kiss there butt on posts they made on your threads. The only thing I can see them doing is ending this fiasco you call "contributing"....what a lark that is.

Why are you so worried about my ignore list? Still sensitive to every detail of my existence on FTE my **** retentive friend. I can ignore you when ever I feel like it, but today I decided not to. Don't like it? Tough.

Last edited by xtrford; 11-14-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Guys, NO more insults...

Quick Reply: Fan clutch / water pump threads not left handed???