Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

Kenne Bell 2.6 or Whipple 3.4? Decisions!

Old 11-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Kenne Bell 2.6 or Whipple 3.4? Decisions!

My previous built engine suffered a setback. I can't be sure until I tear it down, but I believe it ate a piston ring.

Anyway, I'm about to complete a deal with a guy in Michigan to purchase his brand new, WMS wicked engine combo (Woodbine Motorsports) that he bought for his full chassis build Lightning, only to change his mind and go with a GT block/4v head/twin turbo setup.

His change of mind, my gain!

My initial plans, after I had installed the engine, was to top it off with a 2.6 KB. But the new 3.4 Whipples have come out now.

Those new Whips are pushing some really incredible power numbers on built engines. And the boost numbers are just nuts.

So, do I sell my new 2.6 KB and get the 3.4 Whip, or just stand pat?

Heh heh heh...what to do, what to do!

Stewart

Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
wd13
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it were me, I'd wait. I've heard rumors of KB bringing on a bigger unit. Also, I've heard complaints of inlet restrictions on the new Whipple. There are a few vendors working to resolve this issue though. In the end both units will make great power and you'd be lucky to have either.

Wait, what am I saying. Buy the new Whipple and sell the 2.6 to me!!!

Last edited by wd13; 11-22-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wd13
If it were me, I'd wait. I've heard rumors of KB bringing on a bigger unit. Also, I've heard complaints of inlet restrictions on the new Whipple. There are a few vendors working to resolve this issue though. In the end both units will make great power and you'd be lucky to have either.
Yeah, I know.

JJ is my tuner so I've known he was going to be testing the inlet flow to see how it affects that massive 3.4 Whip.

Wait, what am I saying. Buy the new Whipple and sell the 2.6 to me!!!
LOL! You think you have head lifting probs now?? LOL!

Actually, once you get that problematic issue resolved, I'm sure you'll be able to up the boost.

Hey, not knocking JL or anything, but you should give JJ a call. He's helped out a number of JL customers by tweaking their JL tune, making it safer while running better.

All this is assuming detonation is the culprit for your head lifting probs, of course.

I do like what Vince was recommending for you in the thread over at NLOC tho. It will start you down the path to help clear the picture on what's going on with your build.

Stewart

Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 PM
wd13
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yeah, I know.

JJ is my tuner so I've known he was going to be testing the inlet flow to see how it affects that massive 3.4 Whip.

LOL! You think you have head lifting probs now?? LOL!

Actually, once you get that problematic issue resolved, I'm sure you'll be able to up the boost.

Hey, not knocking JL or anything, but you should give JJ a call. He's helped out a number of JL customers by tweaking their JL tune, making it safer while running better.

All this is assuming detonation is the culprit for your head lifting probs, of course.

I do like what Vince was recommending for you in the thread over at NLOC tho. It will start you down the path to help clear the picture on what's going on with your build.

Stewart
I agree, Vince was on to something and I will be looking into what he's suggesting.

I think the detonation is the culprit, atleast it was last time around. I'm just not sure why. I'm wondering if maybe its not my fuel. I've had it since this past spring ,(in the sealed drum of course) but I dont know how long my VP dealer had it before that. It may have lost some octane over time. I'm not at all sure that even can be the case though. I will be going to the bigger S/C (currently run the 2.3KB) and bigger exhaust from JL. I'm hoping like I said in the other thread that I can maintain my current HP/TQ levels while lowering cylinder pressure by reducing boost. I think its achievable with the bigger blower, I hope.

At any rate, good luck with your decision it will be a tuff one although I dont think there's a wrong one.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Well, it looks like the decision was made for me!

I'm completing a deal for a complete long block (sending the check out on Monday), and my reserve funds are almost completely tapped out. So I've decided to sell the KB and stay with the Eaton for now.

I'll probably put it up on ebay and the classified forums here and at the various L boards.

Stewart

Old 11-25-2007, 03:09 PM
wd13
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Well, it looks like the decision was made for me!

I'm completing a deal for a complete long block (sending the check out on Monday), and my reserve funds are almost completely tapped out. So I've decided to sell the KB and stay with the Eaton for now.

I'll probably put it up on ebay and the classified forums here and at the various L boards.

Stewart
PM me what your'e wanting to get out of it. I'm interested