N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Thumper Planning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:18 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumper Planning Thread!

As I mentioned in my last post, we need to get going again on Thumper. We need to make some plans on build, dates, and goals.

Here are my list of Thumper questions? I think I know some of the answers, but I want to make sure.

1. Where is Thumper and it's major parts? Engine? Transmission? Wheels and tires? Other major parts?

2. What is the state of the body/frame/suspension? How about the engine/ transmission/ wheels/ tires?

3. How are our finances?

4. Do we need to take care of registration/license plate renewals?

5. What dates can we realistically work on this and get it done? I feel Dan and Mike have done the biggest share of the work due to different parts of the project living at their places.

6. Do we have an overall project plan? We don't need detailed specifics yet, but we need to figure out what the big goals are. I can create a plan if you can give me the information needed for it.

7. What should our very next step be? I hope that if we can keep thinking of the next step or two are, we can peck away at this great project and get it done.

Lets "Get 'er done" and race her.

Thanks,
Karl

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
f2501967
Senior User
does thumper need a back window or driver side window with a wing assy. or a tailgate. i have those pieces if we need them, these are pieces from a 1972 truck.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'll start with what I know..

Engine:

Needs PR's installed and rockers bolted down, VC's buttoned up and accessories put on...i/e about 4-6 hours work.

It'll need some extra stuff, fluids, belts,etc.

The last of the mnoey went to Dan for the tranny...I know he had to also dig into his pocket for quite a few bucks as well...unsure if he's picked it up or not.
Truck is probably still in front of Bud's shop, I haven't heard that Dan had to move it yet.

Underneath, I know we need good u-bolts for the rearend, as well and do something with the hangers for the rear of the rear springs to get the lift up.

Should also need brake lines/etc, I don't recall noticing them last I was under there.

The pitman arm needs some rework and steering box mounted.

I think Dan mentioned he was tied up on weekends throughout the rest of the year.

I'm not sure what the weather is like in CL in January, might be too cold to work on it outside, and shop space may not be available?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
1. Currently, Thumper is non-oped in my name.
2. We need to finish the steering. Dan ran into trouble with the sector location and was waiting for Mike's input. I think the front end has been located and welded into place.
3. We have to locate the sector and run the steering shaft. It is going to take some doing (Ujoints, rag joints and shafts) to do this.
4. After the steering shaft is installed, we need to mount the headers on the engine/tranny assembly and locate it - ie, build front motor mounts and the rear tranny transfer case mount.
5. After the engine is bolted in place, we can bolt the rest of the front sheetmetal onto the truck.
6. We need to move the truck from Bud's yard to a central location. With the axles mounted we no longer need a concrete floor or shop building, although that would be better. We do need electricity.