Sponsored by:

Aeroforce Tech OBD2 Gauge on Excursions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Aeroforce Tech OBD2 Gauge on Excursions

Well my likely ‘last’ modification of the year has been installed and tested on my Excursion. It is an Aeroforce Tech scan gauge. I must start by saying I have NO AFFILIATION with this company. Just someone that found what I feel is a decent product at a decent price and is sharing my observations.

It is a single 2 1/16” digital gauge that interfaces to your vehicle and scans thru the OBD2 connector (the one under the drivers dash used for pulling ‘codes’) and displays all kinds of information about your vehicle.

On my 2005 V10 Excursion the scan list includes things like. Intake air temp, Trans temp, RPM, MPH, mass air flow, engine coolant temp, cylinder head temp, average MPG, instant MPG, calculated HP, calculated torque. It also contains the ability to set a ‘limit’ for say trans temp of 200 or 210 and a BRIGHT LED will come on the display to let you know if that parameter isn’t being ‘displayed’ it has TRIPPED the limit you have set and thus you know to go WATCH IT!!!

The parameter list is far too EXTENSIVE for me to list here…you can go to the link below and check them all out. But the ones I’m interested in as a tow vehicle driver are pretty much the ones above. I like that there is a temp sensor on the cylinder head as well as engine coolant temp…could help troubleshoot something in the future. But the fact that this gauge reads all the sensors that Ford placed in the truck is truly impressive to me. I’ll have to monitor the ‘nominal’ temps when not towing and what they are when towing next year…

I’ve only had it installed about a week and one thing I noticed on the air intake temp after Monsta noted it…the Excursions OEM intakes are VERY efficient. They draw the coldest air available into the intake. I had toyed with an aftermarket cold air intake like the AirRaid or something similar…but after seeing the intake temps match outside ambient temps…well I can save a few hundred $$$ on that mod!...now I’m not saying the flow rate would be the same between aftermarket and OEM…but at least I know the temp of the air is the coldest and that certainly helps with power. My XLT does not have a factory stock outside temp gauge so I had to use an external temp gauge for this correlation testing…I had toyed with getting one of those as well…but now I don’t need one. One thing to note though is that when stopped or sitting in traffic…the intake temp will rise a few degrees…but once you begin moving again they QUICKLY fall and match outside temps.

This gauge also has a ‘performance’ mode where it will record 0-60mph times as well as 1/8 and ¼ mile times and speed but I haven’t played with that yet!...I drive a truck not a hotrod…but maybe someday I’ll play with that mode.

I also am not 100% sure how my gear swap will or will not affect the ‘calculated’ MPG algorithm contained in the gauge. The MPH’s appear to be off slightly on the gauge vs my speedo. I’ve verified my speedo via GPS…so depending on if the PCM uses a different sensor to pick off MPH…the MPG figures on my truck will be off…But I haven’t run more than a few gallons thru the Ex with the gauge on…I’ll hand calculate the MPG’s in a few weeks and see if they jive with the gauge’s. I’m also working with Todd at Aeroforce on this. The speed sensor for the speedo gauge on my Ex comes off a ring gear sensor so it was un-affected by the deeper gearing I put in…more to come on this if it is a ‘real’ issue.

Lastly this gauge has the ability to pull and clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) thru that OBD2 connection. Having the ability READ CODES is another plus…as my warranty runs out in two weeks!!!...this way I can pull codes if needed and find out what is up with them with out having to take it in…

Oh yeah…it also has two analog inputs for other sensors like EGT or rear end diff temp sensor. Any 0-5V DC transducer will attach to this device so things like an EGT sensor for the diesel boyz…

You can tweak some of the inputs for say altitude so the calculated parameters that utilize that variable are more accurate but on my Excursion they utilize barometric pressure as an input to calculate HP and Trq on…so it will be interesting when I head to the Rockies next year to see how the elevation (i.e. barometric pressure) affects the ‘calculated HP!’

The website for the gauge is (click following link) AeroForce Tech . I have dealt with Todd there and find him to be extremely friendly, knowledgeable and responsive!

They sell versions for many different types of vehicles. They are continually adding models of TV’s that they support so if you don’t see one for your TV…send Todd an email and see if it is planned.

They have varying styles of displays and colors. Mine is a black face gauge with white letters. Seems to show up nice in most lighting although I haven’t been in blinding sun yet with it. Other color letters may show up better…don’t know…you do have choices though…

Installation spots…well you pretty much have a BLANK CANVAS in options. I opted for an A-Pillar mount but you can find all kinds out there for your application if you look. And because it is a 2 1/16” round gauge…well it fits all 2” pods/brackets…your choices are endless.

Okay specific information for my Excursion installation…I looked for how to mount this single multi function gauge. Well as I looked I was able to locate an Auto Meter singe gauge pod number 15318 that fits under my stock grab handle on the A-Pillar. I think it fits perfectly there and is in perfect reach and view of the driver. The pod comes all black and I had to locate some plastic paint. Which I have found to be quite a challenge since VHT had a fire at their plant a year or so ago…they are supposedly discontinuing the plastic paints…which as I compared the Ford Tan VHT #978 to my interior…I felt is was a little darker and more gold than my actual interior (at least by the paint sample as my dealer did NOT have any nor could he GET any)…BTW My interior trim code on my 2005 X is FH…which calls for ‘Pebble’ but Ford does NOT sell any interior paint at least that’s the answer I got when I called my local dealer and parts counter. It isn’t hard to paint this piece and this way you have some extra incase you scratch the piece or something. The hard part is FINDING a good MATCH!!! I used a Krylon camouflage Khaki paint and that is what is in the photo it is slightly lighter in life and in the photos but not overly offensive…I don’t mind it being slightly lighter…it sure beats being BLACK. The nice thing about the Krylon paint is that it is for PLASTIC and has fusion in it so it is chip resistant. You will have to drill a couple of small holes to push some plastic push pins with expandable ribs thru to hold the piece in place. The upper end gets held into place via the grab handle. From a paint perspective…I’m obviously talking about paint match to MY Excursion…other types of vehicles or other year Excursions will have to verify the color match themselves. Rustoleum makes a Khaki camouflage paint as well that is just a little bit lighter tan…so you may want to check that one out too. But that one doesn’t contain Fusion so a plastic primer would be needed with that one.

There were a few suppliers/websites out there for this Auto Meter pod and paint.

The ones I checked with are

Egauges. They don’t list the 15318 for an Ex and only for the SD’s…but look at my photos…I used the 15318. They carry the pod and paint and will run ~$45 for both shipped to your door and they STILL HAD FORD TAN in stock….
(click following link) Egauges.com

ITP diesel sells one as well as they can do the painting FOR you. A set delivered to your door will run ~$48 but that is painted also. While they DO paint it for you…the down side to that IMO is that if you scratch it at all…like I did…you have no paint to touch it up…
(click following link) ITP Diesel

dieselperformanceparts.com is another site that I checked out. They carry paint but it is like $16 per spray can. They claim to have a perfect color match though. A pod and paint delivered to your door would be ~$50. I spoke with Cory here.
(click following link) Diesel Performance Parts

Another site is Geno’s garage. They carry only the pod…but they are also the CHEAPEST price on the pod at @ $22 + $5 shipping! I spoke with Scott there. If you can find the paint locally…this would be your best bet (IMO).
(click following link) Geno's Garage

After all these on-line choices…I ended up going with my local auto parts store. They were more expensive than any of the on-line places for the pod…but they are local and I had it in a day. And I got the Krylon paint from another auto parts store here locally and doing it this way I actually came out slightly AHEAD going this way…my total package price for me worked out better this way even with tax at $38 and change…so my message is give your local shop a shot…look at the total price and you may be as surprised as I was…

Post continued below...too long! argh!!!

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 11-09-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Here are some photos of the hardware...if you click on one of the pictures you will go to my host site for the rest...

Gauge and pre-painted pod as it arrived

Pod with gauge installed pre install into Ex

Final installation in Ex turned on...notice that you can 'invert' the video display which can help visibility depending on lighting/sun conditions.

I used the ‘set point’ threshold on the gauge for trans temp but didn’t tow enough to actually take it thru enough of those paces. They call this feature ‘annunciator’ to allow you to see one of the two LED’s illuminate when the threshold is tripped. Some may use this for shift points and tie it to RPMs. Some model TV’s you can actually use the parameter of auto transmission slippage. Above 10RPMs and the torque converter is UNLOCKED. You can select the auto trans slip parameter and enter 10 and ‘above’ as your trigger and monitor when your torque converter is locked (handy for towing)…this parameter is not reading on my Excursion…but many like to know when their torque converter is locked or unlocked…with this ‘annunciator’ feature you can have an LED display when it is or is not locked (your choice in how you set up the logic check).

Overall I am happy with the gauge. It provides in ONE gauge what would take multiple gauges to get the same information. Plus with the single Auto Meter pod for my Excursion…that allows me to keep my grab handle…it think it fits in very nicely into my vehicle at a perfect location for reaching and seeing while towing!!! Not all vehicles will have this type of clean fit…mounting options truly are endless on the varied vehicles…I personally like having things in eye shot of the road so I don’t have to take my eyes off the road when rolling at ~17,000#’s combined…but that’s just me!

Paint match was a definite challenge given the differing Ford ‘TAN’ interiors BUT only ONE VHT tan…so I’m not so sure that one would have matched my interior any better than what I ended up with. The guys at diesel performance claim to have a perfect match…and in hind sight…that may have been much easier than what I went thru even at the $16 per can that they want!!! But if you can find the Krylon Khaki camo in your area it sold for $5 per can at the local Advance Auto then order the pod from Geno’s for $27 shipped to your door and you have $32 in the deal…But remember to verify color matches as best you can. I’m happy with my color as I really don’t think it matches that bad…a little lighter yes…I don’t think it looks bad at all.

Here is a link to the paint I used Krylon Camo Paint

While I haven’t taken the gauge thru a lot of its paces towing wise…I’ll do so next year…just wanted everyone to see that there is a new option for the Excursion for temp sensor and other multi-sensor outputs. The Aeroforce Tech scan gauge connects thru the OBD2 port on your vehicle and allows more info than most will know what to do with! LOL

Give Aerotech a call and ask for Todd…he is a straight shooter and really knows his stuff. So far I am VERY happy with this product and have no affiliation with it what so ever…just passing on another option in gauges that we can use for our vehicles. I do like the way this gauge integrates into my Excursion interior. There are other choices out there but I didn’t necessarily like the way they looked when ‘mounted’ in the interior…they looked ‘stuck on’ IMO…but that is just my opinion. They also make a ‘dual gauge’ setup…but you will have to visit the website for all the specifics. I think on the main page at the bottom of the Aeroforce website there is a youtube video of it in action…

Oh yeah…in the photos if you notice the two buttons…those are the ones you use to select thru the list of parameters to display and setup…but those are details you would know when you get the gauge.

One thing to note...the V10 Ex kept the older protocol bus which should match the 7.3L PSD's. The 6.0L PSD has a different protocol that this gauge communicates thru. Therefore if you are interested in one...make sure Todd knows what motor/year you have as they are DIFFERENT.

Let me know if something isn’t clear of you have a question or want another photo or something.

Joe.

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 11-09-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up Joe!

It definitely sounds like a good multi-gauge to get.

Did you say if it gave boost numbers? I don't remember seeing that but was curious if it did. I know you don't have a 7.3, so probably wouldn't have been an interest for you.

Thanx...

Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post, i was just about to hit u up a PM bout the gauge. I saw it on ur webshots page. I already looked up the guage, but where did u get the thing that it mounts to on the a pillar?

Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Never mind, i re read ur post and saw it where u got it from. By the way, thats a nice clock in the back round

Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
Great write-up Joe!

It definitely sounds like a good multi-gauge to get.

Did you say if it gave boost numbers? I don't remember seeing that but was curious if it did. I know you don't have a 7.3, so probably wouldn't have been an interest for you.

Thanx...
According to the manual I have and the parameters I see on the gauge when I go thru the setup...there is a parameter called "BOOST" BUT is says that it needs a factory MAP sensor. It also says it reads "Manifold air pressure is displayed in Hg/PSI as a boost gauge would and corrected by the barometer"...so?

I guess it depends on whether the 7.3L's have the MAP sensor?...an email to Todd may answer your question for sure. His email addy is sales@aeroforcetech.com and is on the website too.

Also if you get a pyro sensor (or whatever they are called) you can feed that into this gauge as well as one of the analog inputs for EGT's.

Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Never mind, i re read ur post and saw it where u got it from. By the way, thats a nice clock in the back round
Yeah I tried to put all the info in the post...glad you found it!...I personally think this mount under the grab handle is perfect for the driver...and I am thankful AutoMeter makes it for the SD interiors!!!...no reaching or looking very far for the data...but that is just my opinion...

THANKS on the clock...I guess that requires a

Glad both you guys enjoyed the post...let me know if you have any questions that I may be able to help with...I know the last email I got from Todd on Thursday said that he was traveling this week...so if he is slow to respond...that's why...but he WILL respond...he always has...

Joe!

Last edited by X_Hemi_Guy; 11-11-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I like reading ur long posts, since half of them are really long and detailed

I might have to get one of these next summer. How much did u spend all together?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
CanadianSmokie,

Todd must have read my post and since he was sending me an email on another question...CONFIRMED that the 7.3L does have the MAP sensor and will thus readout BOOST for your 7.3L.

Hope that helps.

joe.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
I like reading ur long posts, since half of them are really long and detailed

I might have to get one of these next summer. How much did u spend all together?
Gauge sells for $239 and I can't remember how much shipping.

Pod options are endless. You could go with a simple ring that screws to your dash somewhere or a simple 'can' to mount the gauge into and then the 'can' to the top of your dash...both of those options would cost less than $20 for the mount.

My approach (depending on how you went with painting) would cost anywhere from $40-50 for a completed pod

So you would be looking at $280-290 or so for what you see in my photos.

For me it was the best mounting option out there with all the features. I know the scan gauge II is much cheaper...but mounting it looks IMO stuck on someplace vs the integrated look/feel of this one. BUT I fully understand not everyone has an extra $100 nor cares how integrated something looks...and that's okay...everyone's tastes are different and I never push my opinions on anyone...well except for my wife and that tape I play at night that repeats (save money, save money, daddy needs a new gauge, save money! )

joe.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
I agree with u. I was gonna look into the scan gauge, but i didnt like the way that it mounts above the rearview mirror. I always wanted somthing like this that mounted on the a pillar. Just book marked those sites and ill look into it in summer time when i tow the most. good post joe!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I too considered this, but ultimately went with the Scan Gauge. I actually preferred the over the mirror mount and also put one in my Cobra.

FWIW, you can also use two of the Aeroforce gauges to get 4 readouts all all times. My complaint with the Aeroforce was that it did not allow MPG to average unless the MPG display was displayed.

Nice job on your install!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Matt, so u can get two aerforce gauges up their on a two gauge pod? Where do these gauges hook up into?

Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Matt,

Here is the order page for the Ford gauges...YES you can order a 'dual' pod. It is $399...

http://aeroforcetech.com/Ford-order.html

Here are some photos of duals installed in various vehicles

http://aeroforcetech.com/images.html

I would guess you would go with an over mirror mount like this for that option on our Ex's...but you would also need the 9' cable to snake from there to the OBD2 connector as that's where you have to connect it to.

http://egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=72040

Or

http://egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subg...erhead_Console

Or this one which goes right under the cubby...

http://egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=62100

Joe.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
X Hemi...I was waiting for these to come out last year, when I ultimately decided on the Scan Gauge. I'm not unhappy with my decision...but thanks for the info on the gauge pods.

i eat hybrids....if you use two of the Aeroforce it comes with a splitter cable.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:43 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
X Hemi...I was waiting for these to come out last year, when I ultimately decided on the Scan Gauge. I'm not unhappy with my decision...but thanks for the info on the gauge pods.

Matt,

I think either option that gives you the info from the OBD2 is a great thing (i.e. scangauge or aeroforce).

Todd has been adding vehicles to his list of 'supported' vehicles as fast as he can...so yes...I've been communicating with him since April on this one I have now!!!

I figured I'd send the other matt the pod info as I've been thru the mounting options recently! LOL

joe.

Quick Reply: Aeroforce Tech OBD2 Gauge on Excursions