Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air pump delete

Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
air pump delete

Does anyone know if they make an air pump bypass bracket/pulley for a 351?

I'm going to yank it.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that if you can get a shorter serpentine belt to byass it . I did it on a 89 way back when worked ok . Think was a Tbird belt

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
lunki98
Junior User
I used a belt for 302 and it worked fine on my 1990 351.

Luke

Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
kevinwilly
Senior User
I just went to the autoparts store and got a bunch of belts and tried them till one fit and took the rest back.

Make sure you cap all the lines that will be exposed. It's a pain in the butt to get them all capped... lines that look like they go nowhere connect to EVERYTHING eventually.

it wasn't until I had my motor out of the truck a year later that I discovered how insane the system was. With everything removed it actually looks like an engine bay, though...

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They do make one...I've got a buddy with two of em...both on 93 and 94 Lightnings...I don't know where he got them but I assume they are the same ones as on Summit for 302's...don't see why it wouldn't work...same underhood setup.....

Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Here's the link.......not too bad a price either... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
redlightning
Senior User
I had one on my 93 Lightning but it was on it when I got it. On my 91 with a 5.0L I just took it apart and pulled the vanes out of it.
I would have left it alone but I put an earlier model 302 in it.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Justin,

I just used a shorter belt, length determined by a piece of string routed around the pulleys, then subtracted 2" to allow the tensioner to have some belt length to push against.

It's been that way for years no problems, though without the air pump installing new belts is a bit snug.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 PM
dhag911
Laughing Gas
mine actually came with a shorter belt and no pulley on the air pump. The pump turned fine so i got a new pulley from a junk yard ($5) got longer belt and replaced the air check valve. now it runs smoother and feels like it has more power the cruise holds at speed a lot better and i actually gained 2 mpg.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 AM
radialarm
Senior User
I'm not trying to start trouble, but it's illegal to tamper with pollution equipment. I would think as a moderator you would know better than to post a thread about doing something like that. There are a lot of people on here that advise people about how to remove such equipment, unfortunatly a lot of these younger members heed that advice. Ford fuel injection systems were designed to work with all the components in good working order. I doubt that removing the air pump is going to give you a great performance boost anyway. Like I said I'm not trying to start any trouble. Thanks, Robert.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by radialarm
I'm not trying to start trouble, but it's illegal to tamper with pollution equipment. I would think as a moderator you would know better than to post a thread about doing something like that. There are a lot of people on here that advise people about how to remove such equipment, unfortunatly a lot of these younger members heed that advice. Ford fuel injection systems were designed to work with all the components in good working order. I doubt that removing the air pump is going to give you a great performance boost anyway. Like I said I'm not trying to start any trouble. Thanks, Robert.
It's only illegal if you get caught! You can modify your car or truck in anyway you wish, its legal. Whether its STREET legal is a different story. Worst case you just fail emissions or get a fix it ticket. For example, you could drop in an egine cranking more the 650 horses and its still street legal AS LONG as it passes emissions.

If you read into laws at all, mayb you would be a moderator, but this is exactly why MustangGT is one, and why your not =]

Old 11-09-2007, 07:02 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
I'm not trying to start trouble, but it's illegal to tamper with pollution equipment.
Yes, you are correct.

Ford fuel injection systems were designed to work with all the components in good working order. I doubt that removing the air pump is going to give you a great performance boost anyway. Like I said I'm not trying to start any trouble. Thanks, Robert.
Removing the air pump makes about a 0.00001hp increase at the rear wheels. But, removing it means you don't have to replace it.

While you're correct that the Ford EEC is designed to run the truck with all the pollution do-dads intact and functional, I have none of them on my 93 crewcab (they're there, just not functional) and my truck pollutes less than it did BEFORE I disabled them.

Why?

I got rid of the old technology catalytic converter, and installed a new, generic one.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Originally Posted by frederic

I got rid of the old technology catalytic converter, and installed a new, generic one.
Most of these generation trucks will pass emisions without a catalytic. Ive thought of having mine hollowed out, or just put a magnaflow highflow catalytic. They vissualy inspect for a catalytic here in MA so I need to use one of these two options. I'm still using the factory catalytic which is almost 13 years old now.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
ford racing makes them too. the bracket looks just like whats on my 96 351 from the factory (obd2) no air pump

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2203

Old 11-09-2007, 08:15 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by NeXtras
Most of these generation trucks will pass emisions without a catalytic. Ive thought of having mine hollowed out, or just put a magnaflow highflow catalytic. They vissualy inspect for a catalytic here in MA so I need to use one of these two options. I'm still using the factory catalytic which is almost 13 years old now.
They visually inspect for a cat here in NJ as well.

And my truck won't pass without the cat - but I'm above 450k in mileage so that's totally understandable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air pump delete