Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Tire Size W/ Chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 PM
billpool
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Size W/ Chains

If a person is interested in getting tires sized @ 285/75/R16 is there still enough clearance for tire chains?

If not what are the recommendations?

thanks.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your 1999? Do you have stock wheels with stock backspacing/offset?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I want to get a set as well. I do not plan on going with the traditional tire "Chains" I was figuring on going with a set of "Z-Chains". Z-chains in general fit more snuggly to the tire and a friend of mine who does plowing told me the Z-chains grip very well.

I'm going to eventually search the net for a set for my 285's. I'm shure I can find a set. I doubt there will be any clearence issues with chains on the 285's, the tires don't get close to anything other than my front mudflaps on my truck.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:39 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With 285s on a F250, chains will rub if you have mud flaps on the front and they will also rub on the front plastic vailence undernieth the front bumper! Will it damage anything important???.....no but you could easily trim the front valence to acomidate the tire chains, now the mud flap issue you may have to just deal with or take them off if you have them.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
billpool
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ace!
For your 1999? Do you have stock wheels with stock backspacing/offset?
Yes right now I have stock steel wheels with studedd arctic claws for winter and the stock styled Ford wheels (stainless?) and bridgestone revo At duelers for summer. Winter = ARCTIC CLAW LT265/75R16/E studed. Summer= BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T REVO LT245/75R16 E 120S. Ford factory molded mudflaps front & rear. An acquaintance is always telling me that I need bigger tires on the truck.

Confusing & expensive to say the least.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
billpool
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
I want to get a set as well. I do not plan on going with the traditional tire "Chains" I was figuring on going with a set of "Z-Chains". Z-chains in general fit more snuggly to the tire and a friend of mine who does plowing told me the Z-chains grip very well.
Yes, and the Z chains will permit slightly faster speed when mounted cause of the less weight, I'm told. In any event one doesn't need to be racing i n chain weather..

The studded tires do work but there are some instances where you can't proceed unless chains are available or mounted I've been informed.

bill

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
billpool
Junior User
Originally Posted by SLE
With 285s on a F250, chains will rub if you have mud flaps on the front and they will also rub on the front plastic vailence undernieth the front bumper! Will it damage anything important???.....no but you could easily trim the front valence to acomidate the tire chains, now the mud flap issue you may have to just deal with or take them off if you have them.
Sounds forboding. Maybe I'll stay with the 265/75/R16's for winter tires and just get the bigger for fair weather driving... i do have the flaps and am not in favor of the possible breakage. Thanks

bill

Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
I run 285 Revos on mine and I get rubbing on the screws that hold my mud flaps on when turning (but thats without chains), It's really not a big issue nor is the front valence, you should just be aware of the possible modifications you may need to do.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I have the hard molded platic "Ford" logo mud flaps on my truck. I needed to shorten the round rubber spacers that came with the front mudflaps to clear my 285 FC-2 tires. I cut the spacer down to about 1" long and I now have decent (about 3/4") clearence from the inside of the mudflap to the corner of the tire when turning. Granted my tires have a much more aggresive tread than the Revos or other A/T tire. Like SLE said the lower valance on the bottom of of the front bumper may be an issue. I'm confident I could clear Z chains in the front, however I would probably be running chains in the rear only.

I've noticed differences in ride heights of trucks and you have to take into consideration that clearence varies depending on the truck. My 04' SC seems to be slightly higher than my dads 03' CC. I attribute this to his heavier CC and well seasoned springs. (70k) I'd measure the clearences around tight points.

From what I'm told Z-chains really help and are less of a PITA to put on compared to regular "Chain" tire chains.

I've also found that at least 400lbs in the bed helps A LOT also.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
billpool
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
From what I'm told Z-chains really help and are less of a PITA to put on compared to regular "Chain" tire chains.

I've also found that at least 400lbs in the bed helps A LOT also.
All very good points I personally use one of those water bladders in the bed starting at first snow fly. Works pretty well.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
billpool
Junior User
Originally Posted by SLE
I run 285 Revos on mine and I get rubbing on the screws that hold my mud flaps on when turning (but thats without chains), It's really not a big issue nor is the front valence, you should just be aware of the possible modifications you may need to do.
Well my Revo's are the baby ones, come to find out they are 1 click less than factory recommend. 245/75/R16 E's I noted that the Revo in 285 only comes in load range D. I've been told that ford generally puts smaller tires/wheels than most on their vehicles..? This from the same guy that is trying to get me to move to the 285's.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by billpool
Well my Revo's are the baby ones, come to find out they are 1 click less than factory recommend. 245/75/R16 E's I noted that the Revo in 285 only comes in load range D. I've been told that ford generally puts smaller tires/wheels than most on their vehicles..? This from the same guy that is trying to get me to move to the 285's.

Another option for tires would be 235/85R16s, they came from factory on my 04'. (General Ameritracs) The 235/85s are the same dia. as the 265/75s but the 235s are narrower which can be more desirable in snow.

IMO I wouldn't downsize (From Factory) tires with the SD or V10. Smaller tires will just spin way easier. 31.5-32" dia. tires would be the smallest I'd go. I really like my 285's and D rated is fine if your not loading your truck to the max on a reg basis. My D rated 285 tires have a weight capacity only 100lbs less than a 265 E rated tire.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Yes, they are only D rated but the actual weight rating is as much as some E load rated tires, I cann't remember off hand but If I recall correctly they are rated in the neigborhood of 3400lbs/tire. So that gives you 6800lbs for the rear of the truck. My CC SB weighs just about exactly 3000lbs on the rear leaving me 3800lbs of payload. since the whole truck weighs 7100lbs that would mean I could have a GVWR of over 10,900lbs without exceeding the tires reccomendations, yet my F250 would be grossly over loaded by the Manuf. 8800lb rating. Now on the other hand my Registration card reads a GVWR of 11,740lbs, which would require some weight balencing but is also entirely possible (4 tires at 3400lbs = 13,600lbs!!). In the end I probably won't ever exceed a GVWR of 10,000 lbs since the truck is used more for towing than hauling, for me the Revo's in a 285 have plenty of capacity. unless your grossly overloading your truck with cargo I don't for see a problem runiing the D rated Revo's.

Actually, Gm is the natorious one for the small wheel and tire combo's, heck untill just a year or so ago they were still at 16" rims with 245s on there 4wd HDs when at the same time ford was running 18" and 20" rims wrapped with 33" rubber.

Back to original intent, a little wieght in the bed will go along ways towards winter traction and the chains although a great option, you may have to make some modifications if you want to run them on 285 series tires on the front end.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
dkf, your typing a hair quicker than me, your right on with the D rated 285s vs the E rated 265s and also about a narrower tire in the snow doing better, I will admit the 285s are not an ideal snow tire because of the width but they sure fill out the wheel wells nicely!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SLE
dkf, your typing a hair quicker than me, your right on with the D rated 285s vs the E rated 265s and also about a narrower tire in the snow doing better, I will admit the 285s are not an ideal snow tire because of the width but they sure fill out the wheel wells nicely!
I've found though that the extra lug spacing and tread depth helps make up for the extra width of the 285s. The main problem I've found with snow is if the tire isn't self cleaning it will glaze up and not grip for chit.

Your right on a stock height truck, you can't beat the 285's.

My SC is registered at Class 2 7k GVWR as is my dads CC, the dealers registered them that way. I'm thinking of reregistering class 3.

Quick Reply: Tire Size W/ Chains