After-market heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
rjvaughan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After-market heads

I'm considering after-market heads for my 460 re-build, since the cost of modifying my stock D3VE heads is probably going to be at least half that cost.

I am thinking I need heads with stock exhaust port location and bolt-pattern since I want to use off-the-shelf headers in my '77 F150.

That means I am looking at Edelbrock or FMS SCJ I believe.

I see the exhaust port is much bigger on the SCJ - is it okay with off-the-shelf headers for a standard 460?

This will be a street with occasional strip motor, C-6 with stock or low-stall converter (2000 or less rpm) and 3.25 rear. I am thinking a 750cfm carb with vacuum secondaries.

Is the SCJ head the best choice, or is the Edelbrock better suited?

Thanks,

Rob.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
supercab460
New User
Originally Posted by rjvaughan
I'm considering after-market heads for my 460 re-build, since the cost of modifying my stock D3VE heads is probably going to be at least half that cost.

I am thinking I need heads with stock exhaust port location and bolt-pattern since I want to use off-the-shelf headers in my '77 F150.

That means I am looking at Edelbrock or FMS SCJ I believe.

This will be a street with occasional strip motor, C-6 with stock or low-stall converter (2000 or less rpm) and 3.25 rear. I am thinking a 750cfm carb with vacuum secondaries.

Is the SCJ head the best choice, or is the Edelbrock better suited?

Thanks,

Rob.
Have you looked at the trickflow heads or even better yet the Procomp knockoff heads that are just like the trickflow heads? we ahve a pair of these on a 429 in a streetrod that we like alot and they can be had for under a $1000.00 fully assembled just google procomp heads or goto
www.procompelectronics.com might be worth a look anyway.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
rjvaughan
Freshman User
I thought the TFS heads all had non-standard exhaust port locations and BBC bolt-patterns, meaning I couldn't use off-the-shelf headers designed for my truck with 460?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the TFS heads can be had with either Ford or BBC exhaust pattern. the port is raised up, but that should be no problem with header fit on a truck.

i would lean towards the TFS, Blue Thunder or Ford SVO heads as my choices. the Edelbrocks are good heads for a mild stock cid rebuild, but the other heads will have a lot more growth potential if you ever want to go with a stroker (and with prices on stroker kits these days, why not think about it).

the Pro-comps are just copies of the stock Dove heads with small valves and slightly better ports, but need lots of work to work on anything but a stock replacement application. good if you want to go that way, but you will be a lot farther ahead by spending a little more on the other heads. not that they can't be made to work, but the amount you spend to do that, you will be close to the other heads in price.

so i guess it really depends on what your future plans are for this motor as to which heads to look at.

rgds
Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
rjvaughan
Freshman User
Thanks for the info Mike, I did not know the TFS heads could be had with standard 460 bolt exhaust bolt pattern. This complicates my choices further then - d'oh!

I was seriously thinking about a stroker kit .. so easy to do and I have the D9TE block ('79 vintage) with the longer cylinders ..

Problem is if I build a 545 motor with aftermarket heads, good cam, and probably need a 850 - 1050 cfm carb with that .. I will have way too much power for what will otherwise be a stock truck right? Stock C-6, rear-end and suspension with that 600HP or so .. would be largely unusable, perhaps even downright un-safe/dangerous?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM
supercab460
New User
The procomp heads can be had as a copy of the trickflow street head or stage 3 cnc ported specs for the standard heads are :
Aluminum Cylinder Heads, by Pro Comp (Patterned after and Very similar to the Trick Flow Street Head!!). These are similar to the Trick Flow Street heads! These heads will fit 460 big block Ford. If you’re looking for an unmatched value street/strip head, Pro 300cc 460 head is your answer. With 2.190 intake valves, 1.71 exhaust valves this head moves tremendous volumes of air through conservative runner volumes, spelling big torque and horsepower numbers. With combustion chamber volumes of 95cc accompanied by exhaust ports which are 130cc, Pros 300cc is the ultimate choice for 429 through 557 BBF engines operating from 2500 RPM to 8500 RPM. These have bronze alloy guides; machined Rocker Studs. The heads are FULLY CNC machined, they are drilled with all OEM accessory holes. The valve cover rails are raised for easier gasket sealing. A 5/8" thick deck makes the Pro Comp ideal for nitrous or blower applications. These heads fit 429-460 Fords. <center> </center> <center>
  • 356-A Aluminum Alloy
  • Heat Treated to T-6 Specifications
  • Large 300cc Intake Runners
  • Std 460 valve angle
  • Bronze Valve Guides
  • Hard valve seats
  • Machined for screw in studs and guide plates
  • 95cc combustion chambers
  • Large exhaust ports
  • Drilled for 1/2" head bolts
  • Designed for use with the Machined to accept large diameter dual/triple valve springs
  • Seats Machined for 2.190"/1.71" valves
</center>
Fully assembled, complete with Competition Premium Dual Springs and 2.19/1.71" Competition Stainless Steel valve package.

Dual Springs 120lbs inst height, 390lbs open .650 max lift (coil bind @ .725 lift) 99893-16 (upgrades avail)

Superduty 21-4N SS one piece valve package 2.19"Int, 1.71"

10º Chrome Moly Steel Race Retainers (add 79.99 for Titanium)

10° Chrome Moly Steel Superlocks

1 set(16) spring seats (protects aluminum head from valve springs)

1 set of Pro VITON Extreme Valve Seals

1 set 7/16 rocker studs

Old 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
rjvaughan
Freshman User
Thanks Supercab.

I guess with all these heads with the larger exhaust port (FMS SCJ, TFS, Procomp etc) they require a "Cobra Jet" header too, as opposed to a standard 460 exhaust port header. Better check to see if something like that is even available for my '77 F150 off-the-shelf .. I have my doubts.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a 545 is probably a little big for a street truck. i would stick to a 514 or 535 at most for the street. you still need soemthing that is at least semi-driveable on the street. a 514 with good heads and cam selection, you are still looking at 550 - 600hp very easily, plenty for the street and not too many other cars are going to beat you. even a warmed up 460 likes a 850 carb but you could probably get by with a 750 even on a 514, you will just sacrifice some mid to top end hp in the bargain, just pick your cam accordingly. just get headers with the biggest tubes you can. also look at headers for other Ford cars as they might fit your truck quite nicely and have the cj ports on them.

of course their is no replacement for displacement and since most non-ford people can't tell a 351 from a 460, you can always say it is just a lowly 351W in there and then blow their doors off with a huge grin on your face.

best of luck

rgds
Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Nelson acc
FTE Sponsor
I can help you with the stall converter. We have been building them since 1970.
Let me know if I can help. 888-267-7464 - www.accperformance.com
nelson

Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 AM
rjvaughan
Freshman User
Don't get me started on torque converters .. lol .. there's another area I don't really understand when it comes to a streetable/highway-capable cruiser .. why would I want anything other than stock .. certainly no more than 2000 stall - right? I mean, I don't want my engine spinning 3000 rpm and up all the time (like a drag car)?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Nelson acc
FTE Sponsor
stalls are not just for racing.

You can modify your engine or change your ehaust system or change the rear gear ratio by the run out of your tall tires.
We can make a converter that will be like stock once you have made such mods
any questions call - nelson - 888-267-7464