1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Super Duty Lift Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truckchop
hey overkill, I just talked to the local shop here in palm beach that does alot of lifts on trucks, and they advised me if I wasnt going to change my rims, that I probably shouldnt go with the DR 4.5" lift because of the body sway and tire rub. they basically told me that if I was going to keep the 20s that I should stick w/ just a 2.5" leveling kit.
That is illogical. Why would you have more rubbing with a 4.5" system over a 2.5" lift? The 4.5" system will easily clear 35s without any issue and any rubbing on the radius arms at full lock steering is relative to the wheel offset and not the amount of lift. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a 2.5" on 35s and stock wheels but the DR 4.5" will offer better ride quality and out perform that combination. My guess is that shop just doesn't offer DR.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by Overkill
That is illogical. Why would you have more rubbing with a 4.5" system over a 2.5" lift? The 4.5" system will easily clear 35s without any issue and any rubbing on the radius arms at full lock steering is relative to the wheel offset and not the amount of lift. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a 2.5" on 35s and stock wheels but the DR 4.5" will offer better ride quality and out perform that combination. My guess is that shop just doesn't offer DR.
In what way exactly will the 4.5 suspention lift out perform & have better ride quality then the 2.5 leveling kit?

Just curious because, I wanted to install a skyjacker 4.5 sus. kit but was talked out of it, for the oposite reason and ended up buying the 2.5 leveling kit and put 33 nitto graplers on the stock rims.

they told me a 4.5 sus kit will sacrifice hywy performance, where the 2.5 lev kit will ride exactly like factory.....so I went for it!

Truthfully I would have rather put 35's and the 4.5!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
truckchop
Junior User
the shop i called said that because the stock 20's were only 8" wide that wen i put a wide nitto or toyo tire on them w/the DR 4.5" that it would rub on sharp turns and the truck would sway more, unless i got wider rims w/ the right offset.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
were did you buy your kit from and how much?
All authorized DR dealers must adhere to a minimum pricing policy. As such most of us sell at this minimum level. This is designed to encourage customers to shop product knowledge and customer support rather than simply price. Internet based "warehouses" might seem like a good idea because they appear less expensive on the surface but they will be useless to you if you ever run into a technical issue or need warranty coverage.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
Originally Posted by MattyNJ
In what way exactly will the 4.5 suspention lift out perform & have better ride quality then the 2.5 leveling kit?

Just curious because, I wanted to install a skyjacker 4.5 sus. kit but was talked out of it, for the oposite reason and ended up buying the 2.5 leveling kit and put 33 nitto graplers on the stock rims.

they told me a 4.5 sus kit will sacrifice hywy performance, where the 2.5 lev kit will ride exactly like factory.....so I went for it!

Truthfully I would have rather put 35's and the 4.5!!!
Apples and oranges.

Unlike most shops which make unfounded proclamations we prefer to respond with specific details. In the case of the Skyjacker I would agree to go with the smaller lift due to the quality of their coils. In the case of the DR the 4.5" system provides improved ride quality due to superior spring rates, increased suspension travel and application specific shock dampening. The DR coils are dual rate and feature a 10% softer initial rate at ride height than the oe springs but which ramp up to 50% over stock at full compression. This provides plush on-road ride quality but also resists bottoming off-road.

I have ridden on Skyjacker 2.5" kits and I can assure you that you would have been much happier with the ride quality of the DR 4.5" system.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
the shop i called said that because the stock 20's were only 8" wide that wen i put a wide nitto or toyo tire on them w/the DR 4.5" that it would rub on sharp turns and the truck would sway more, unless i got wider rims w/ the right offset.
This is relative to the width of the tires and backspacing of the wheels regardless of the amount of lift. A 325/60-20 on 8" wide OE wheels will rub on the radius arms at full lock just as much with 2.5" of lift as it would with 8" of lift. This is why we recommend no more than 35/12.5s which are designed for an 8-10" wide wheel. Wider wheels will pull the sidewalls out and reduce this rubbing at full lock. However wider wheels also require more lift in order to address rubbing on the bumper and fenders.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
MattyNJ
Senior User
Apples and oranges.

Unlike most shops which make unfounded proclamations we prefer to respond with specific details. In the case of the Skyjacker I would agree to go with the smaller lift due to the quality of their coils. In the case of the DR the 4.5" system provides improved ride quality due to superior spring rates, increased suspension travel and application specific shock dampening. The DR coils are dual rate and feature a 10% softer initial rate at ride height than the oe springs but which ramp up to 50% over stock at full compression. This provides plush on-road ride quality but also resists bottoming off-road.

I have ridden on Skyjacker 2.5" kits and I can assure you that you would have been much happier with the ride quality of the DR 4.5" system.
Well its not too late hahaha! If I wanted to install your DR 4.5 would I remove the leveling kit I just had installed? would me 33 nittos on the stock rim be too small? Do you have trust worthy installers here in NJ, or is the kit easy enough for a DIY?

Thanks sounds like your selling a great product!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
truckchop
Junior User
This is relative to the width of the tires and backspacing of the wheels regardless of the amount of lift. A 325/60-20 on 8" wide OE wheels will rub on the radius arms at full lock just as much with 2.5" of lift as it would with 8" of lift. This is why we recommend no more than 35/12.5s which are designed for an 8-10" wide wheel. Wider wheels will pull the sidewalls out and reduce this rubbing at full lock. However wider wheels also require more lift in order to address rubbing on the bumper and fenders.
I deffinitly appreciate the info OVERKILL, to bad you guys are so far away or I would have yall install the kit for me, wonder if if I buy the kit through you guys if another shop would put it in?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
del_allen1957
Junior User
BDS was my choice

I just had a 6" BDS full spring lift installed on my 04 and I like it.

It was recommended by my local 4WD shop Trucks in Action in Indianapolis. Top notch guys.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:44 PM
CobraGT40
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a Superlifts 4" lift (all 4 leafsprings) on my 2000 Superduty... I would reccomend a different brand, especially if you are doing it yourself. the instructions were vague, at best...and not all the parts lined up correctly, there was a few modifications that had to be made. The only picture in the instructions looked like it was drawn by a 6th grader. Also, this kit doesn't come with a pitman arm (and you WILL need one...unless you don't mind your steeering wheel being upside-down)

After I got it all figured out, and installed (thank you to all the members of FTE Message Board!) it still looks pretty nice and rolls down the road quite comfortably...all I do is lightly sand the springs with a wire brush in Autumn and Spring and hit them with some black spray paint and it still looks new...I also reccomend painting your shocks with spray-can of clear coat...keeps the shocks from getting rusty!

Well, that's my opinion ! Hope it helps...

Scott

Hey yall,
Ive always valued you guys opinion, and sight. Heres my next step with my 07' super duty, I wanted to get a lift kit put on my truck , some were around 4-5". I was wondering what yall thought was the best suspension out there, Im not going off road to much mostly hauling , with some towing.I bought a 07' LARIAT with the FX4 package for the (aggresive stance , mostly) bought now I want to HIGHER

Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
one_wicked_element
Senior User
Question

How much is the DR 4.5" lift?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Overkill
FTE *******
Originally Posted by MattyNJ
Well its not too late hahaha! If I wanted to install your DR 4.5 would I remove the leveling kit I just had installed? would me 33 nittos on the stock rim be too small? Do you have trust worthy installers here in NJ, or is the kit easy enough for a DIY?

Thanks sounds like your selling a great product!
I've got a dealer up in Jeresy (Crazy House Customs) that can take care of you. Feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll get you in contact with them. Here is an example of a DR 4.5 on stock wheels & tires:

Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
TP83
Senior User
Marty, do you recommend DR for a truck that tows a boat and jeeps around? and any recommened DR dealers in northern california? i know if Norcal Truck but thats about it.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM
truckchop
Junior User
Originally Posted by TP83
Marty, do you recommend DR for a truck that tows a boat and jeeps around? and any recommened DR dealers in northern california? i know if Norcal Truck but thats about it.
what about a delear in florida

Old 11-07-2007, 08:49 PM
hdroadking05
Senior User
TRUCKCHOP where in Florida are you?

Quick Reply: Best Super Duty Lift Kit!