Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Elder User

knash0727 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Make or buy?

Here where I live the nearest place to get bio is about 100 miles away. I am thinking about getting a transfer fuel tank for my truck so I can justify going that far to get it. What does it take to make it?
Vanessa - 85 F250 6.9L Diesel Standard cab 2wd LWB
Dead for now
Grandma - 74 F100 6.4L 390 Standard cab 2wd LWB
CLICK HERE to JOIN the TEXAS CHAPTER
Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
New User

N2ZPY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Biodiesel isn't too bad to make. There is a little bit of a learing curve and some equipment to set up. You will need a processor to mix the methoxide with the oil to convert it to biodiesel. Then the bio needs to be washed to remove any leftover contaminates. Now you have wet fuel and you need to take the water out so you need a setup for drying. The picture I have attached is my processor. I am making 150L (40 gallon) batches. I process in the cone bottom barrel closest to the camera. From there the next barrel is my mist wash setup and the last barrel is my dryer. Start to finish I can run a batch in about 2 days. I can process 40 gallons per day though. I have about $500 - $600 in this processor but that was all scrap copper money from work so I call it a wash. I am figuring about $0.75 / gallon to process (Methanol, Lye, Electric, etc).

Kevin

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Elder User

WOW!!! that is pretty elaborate I dont think I have that much space.
Dead for now
Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Freshman User

linkford is starting off with a positive reputation.
there are some more compact designs check out this web sitehttp://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleorchard/
Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior User

jimh425 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a lot to go wrong and if you have a commercial product available, there is little benefit to make your own. If you want a hobby, go for it.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 AM
New User

There are more compact designs available. I made mine based on the space i had avilable. You can use an old (or new) electric water heater for the processor (any sealed container). I chose to split my wash and dry tanks so I could be washing and drying at the same time. I can have 120 gallons of fuel in process at any time with this system. I have even made batches in a 2L soda bottle so you can go really small if you want to.

I am working on a presentation for a local high school alternative energy class. When I get that finished I will post up some better pics of the process.

Kevin
Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Elder User

Are there any commercial kits available?
Dead for now
Old 11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Commercial kits push the cost way to high.

Check this processor out
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/
then figure a couple of 55 gal drums with it, one for storage and another for washing. That's a bare minimum processing system although I have heard some make do with a single 55 gal drum.

You wont be able to run multiple batches at once but a 40 gal batch should last a few days, at least long enough to run another batch.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 11-06-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 AM
New User

Our Co-op is going to try an all in one processor this coming year. We acquired an old bulk tank (milk tank). It is a 300 gallon stainless steel tank with an agitator built in. We are figuring we could do 200 gallon batches in it.

My processor is basically an appleseed built around a cone bottom barrel. I still use an electric water heater element to heat the oil.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Elder User

CanadianSmokie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CanadianSmokie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here ya go Knash...

http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/hobikit.html

Quote:
Commercial kits push the cost way to high.
Thats a matter of opinion, which I notice you have plenty of...
I go through approx. 6000 litres of fuel a year (not including my home heating oil). At a savings of 75% from what diesel sells for, I will recoup my investment of a commercial unit within 1 year.

Ratt X

2001 7point3 PSD
All Go...No Show
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru

archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought he wanted a transfer tank so he can head out and refuel fewer times per month, or in a year by getting more fuel every time he went, like adding a 100 gallon transfer tank to the bed of his truck.

There are truck salvage yards that will sell 50 gallon saddle tanks fairly cheap and those round aluminum diesel big rig tanks from 70 to 150 gallons or more capacity but those cost more.

But Blains farm and fleet, tractor supply, and truck parts suppliers have them as well.
Also there are extrs capacity replacement tank that replace the stock tank, like pulling the 18 gallon rear tank on a F250 and adding the bronco 36 gallon one.
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Posting Guru

fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
Do you have this system I am very interested in it and how well it works I have been wanting to start making my own for a while now and I am thinking real hard about doing now. I really like the self contained systems and the ease of operation. I can always have a separate holding tank after the fuel is made to keep on make more.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:29 AM
Freshman User

03PwrStk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Careful about who knows you are making it!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Senior User

diverseth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03PwrStk
Careful about who knows you are making it!

Why? Are there some legal considerations?
2006 F250 6.0 FX4 Lariat, CC/SB, Dk Stone, ProComp Xtreme AT 37 12.50 20,Quad Ballast HID Headlights, Python alarm w\remote start Eclipse AVN6600 Navigation,Sirius 10"rear Monitor and back-up camera, JLAudio Amps & Stealth box, Leer cap, 85,000+ miles on 5w40 Rotella. Coolant filter. SCT X3 By Innovative Diesel.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 4 55 gallon drums side by side by side. I built a mixer that sets over in them out of an old greenhouse fan. I can move my mixer from drum to drum. I can make 3 4 40 gal batches at a time. In my whole set up, I have less than $50. The biggest problem is finding a good steady supply of good WVO. If you can get that, you can make bio some kind of which way. I good way to start to see if you want to do it would be to have a galvanized pipe fitting welded in the bottom of an open top drum, attach a $30 Harbor Freight pump to it, and you have an instant reactor, its not efficient, but it will get you started, as most people like to see some result before they spend a lot of money, the more good results you see, the more you are willing to spend on making it more efficient.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
bio, buy, make, truck