2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erratic idle and stall's randomly Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 AM
UK F150 FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erratic idle and stall's randomly Help!

Hi guy's i live in the UK so not easy to get tech help!

I have a 5.4 fx4 and she constantly stals at idle the rpm drops and is very erratic, the truck runs smoth and great off idle but this stalling is driving me nut's. I have got no fault codes generated and there is no real pattern to this stalling it is totally random however it happens in gear and out of gear.
The only odd thing i have found is a hole drilled in the oil filler cap that sucks air into the engine? seems very odd ! and no way is factory, is there anything on the engine breather system that is a service item that may have been missed, or is there any other reason the engine may be stalling at idle.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice. Mark.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Mr86GT
Junior User
Originally Posted by UK F150 FX4
Hi guy's i live in the UK so not easy to get tech help!

I have a 5.4 fx4 and she constantly stals at idle the rpm drops and is very erratic, the truck runs smoth and great off idle but this stalling is driving me nut's. I have got no fault codes generated and there is no real pattern to this stalling it is totally random however it happens in gear and out of gear.
The only odd thing i have found is a hole drilled in the oil filler cap that sucks air into the engine? seems very odd ! and no way is factory, is there anything on the engine breather system that is a service item that may have been missed, or is there any other reason the engine may be stalling at idle.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice. Mark.

There are many posts on the forum regarding this issue with the 5.4L. The issue seems to revolve around the IAC and other components in the throttle body. My truck had this same problem. The entire throttle body probably needs to be replaced, and Ford might need to reflash your PCM. They did this to my truck, and it solved the problem and I have not had any issues since. As for your oil cap...yea, thats not normal...go to your local Ford dealer and get a new one.

Mr86GT

Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 AM
UK F150 FX4
New User
Thanks for the reply, i will have a good look around the forum for info. Throttle body replacement and IAC could be ordered from the states but a reflash by Ford ..... O dear ! there are no UK ford dealers that can do this, this is going to be fun ..... ! Any idea what the reflash involves so i can try and locate someone in the UK ? Once again thanks and any info would be very much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Mr86GT
Junior User
Originally Posted by UK F150 FX4
Thanks for the reply, i will have a good look around the forum for info. Throttle body replacement and IAC could be ordered from the states but a reflash by Ford ..... O dear ! there are no UK ford dealers that can do this, this is going to be fun ..... ! Any idea what the reflash involves so i can try and locate someone in the UK ? Once again thanks and any info would be very much appreciated.

I honestly do not know what exactly it changes in the engine program. Maybe one of the techs that log on here can answer this for you.

Mr86GT