2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add-A-Leaf or new blocks for the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most trucks had a 4" block from the factory in the rear prior to the mid 90's. You'll have little to no noticable issues using a block lift in the rear up to 4" total. And as a bonus- you'll save some money and keep the exact ride you had before. Nothing to be worried about. I am avid fan of block lifts for the reason of softness. I hate how stiff lift springs are, and in the mud(which is where my lifts are most used), the softer the better. There are few suspension kits out there with as good a ride as your stock springs. Just my $.02

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So if you will not be doing any extreme 4 wheelin and more towing but not all the time what would you recomend for me. I want to get the rear up now that I have leveled it and I do haul my GN as stated before and sometimes my uncles 73 Monte Carlo and the truck squats big time with that barge on the trailer I was leaning twoards the air bags but now I am not sure about an AAL. I know the air bags are more money but how bad is the ride with AAL. If I could save 300 bucks then what the hay. And I am also looking at a Roush Charger for my truck down the line. I ahve come to the realization that I will nevr be able to afford another diesel cause fuel is 3.50 a gallon up here. Plus the HUGE price of the truck.

Thanks,
Sarge

Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
sarge do air bags- the added stiffness for loads is not permanent because you can let the air out. If the only time you want added rear suspension performance is when you're towing then air bags are exactly the route you want to go. Only lift or AAL if you want that affect 100% the time, because you can't switch it on the go. If you do get air bags, get the kind with a self contained compressor and switch in the cab, much nicer

Old 11-05-2007, 10:09 AM
torino_gt
Senior User
i used the skyjacker 3" kit that includes add-a-leafs, the aal's are a much better set up, do not effect the ride hardly any, and are safer...safer being the key point. you can never go wrong with aal's, and most people can not tell you have done anything to the rear. Just be sure to add a small amount of gear grease or something to the pads when you install aal's

Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by scottie2hottie
1. most trucks had a 4" block from the factory in the rear prior to the mid 90's.

2. And as a bonus- you'll save some money and keep the exact ride you had before.

3. I am avid fan of block lifts for the reason of softness

4. There are few suspension kits out there with as good a ride as your stock springs. Just my $.02
1. actually, the 92-96 F-150/Bronco had a 1" block on the rear axle that was for pinion angle. I think you're confusing the 90's Dodge with the Ford

2. yes, but their dangerous. for the everyday street truck, up to 4" is okay, but you're pushing it when you start putting power to the ground or you are actually 4x4

3. true, but they're still a bad idea...same as ^ statement. I had the 4" block installed and luckily it was never spit out. a bud with the same kit on his 89 F-150 was mudding with me and his right rear block got ejected. it took us several hours to re-install on the trail and cost him a jacked up bed

4. my BDS 4" lift kit was amazing. it made my Truck/Bronco ride like it was on a cloud. For a Ford, BDS is the way to go.

hey Sarge261, just get the AAL. it's alot cheaper , the rear end will get slightly stiffer, but that's about it. Plus, with you towing a car trailer, it'll really help keep the front end planted so you don't get that dreaded floating front end. Air bags are nice, but they're very overpriced and complicated. issues can and will pop up. besides, you'll be tempted to overload the truck because you've go airbags to level it back out.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I'm definitely not confusing with dodges- I've never owned a dodge and have six ford's out there right now. 4 of which all have a FACTORY 4" rear block. and I've got blocks laying around from other trucks I have parted out. If used within reason, they're not dangerous on the rear. And tightening the U-bolts is a good way to keep the blocks underneath the truck . On the front I'll agree- no good, but not the rear. My friend has a 500hp on 6" lift blocks out back and boggers with a locker, and he's never lost the axle in 4 seasons and it gets the tar beat out of it in the mud. You may know what people have told you, but nothing trumps good old experience.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The 70s trucks did have 4" blocks, but not all of them.
Some F250s(don't quote me, but I think this is the way it goes) before 77.5 had 4" blocks and the 77.5-79 had 3" blocks. I got a pair of 3" blocks out of a 78 F250 and put them under my 79 bronco which only had a angled block. Most F150s had 2" blocks, and the F100s didn't have any.
The 80s I'm not 100%, but I don't think any 1/2 ton 4x4 had more than a 2" block, just like the new ones. 3/4 and 1 tons could of had 3" and very possible a few had 4"s.

I don't like my 3" blocks. It gave my bronco a lot more axle wrap, but I'm not worried about them spitting out either.

Only reason I used them is because I couldn't afford new springs, and I already had a 2.5" add a leaf.

I'm speeking from experience, I've seen many trucks with serious power have blocks(up to 4") with no troubles other than axle wrap..... Get over 4" or start stacking, then there are a few instances when bad things happened under bad situations.

Only down side to the 3" block to me is axle wrap.
Nothing dangerous about it, but I'd prefer an add a leaf.