Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Retreive your door code on 02+ excursions. NEW EASIER METHOD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To: Retreive your door code on 02+ excursions. NEW EASIER METHOD!!!

All you need:
1 Small Mirror
1 Halfway Descent Flashilight

Thats it, no removing any panels, or radio or anything!

So I'm bored here at work and went hunting for my door code. Well i tried peeping through the fuse panel but i could not find the box in question and all the wiring going every which way was not helping. I read another post in here about someone reaching up from under the dash and feeling the box with their hand so i figured I'd go take a look at what we can see from down there.

I immediatly found a big black box with 3 big connectors going to it, i thought at first this couldnt be it could it??? But i reached up and felt the face of it that i could not see due to the angle, and it felt like there was a smooth sticker on it. HUMMM, i go in my office and grab a small 3 1/2" X 5 1/2" plastic mirror we had and i layed back down between the seat and pedals and looked back up with my flashlight. I stuck the lil mirror up infront of the box and there was my code clear as day! No removing the fuse panel and looking at rediculous angles and prying wires every which way to try and get an angle to view it. Just lay down with the flashlight tucked between your shoulder/head, slide the mirror in place and BOOM there she is!

I'm a fairly big guy at 6'3" 270 lbs and it was not too hard to get in there. I'd imagine a smaller person would climb in there with absolutely no problems at all. Just lay between the drivers seat and pedals, with your head tucked up near the gas pedal and look up, there it is!

ALL PICTURES TAKEN FROM RIGHT BY THE GAS PEDAL LOOKING UPWARDS AND SLIGHTLY TOWARDS THE MIDDLE OF TEH DASH.

First image shows the unit up close. I wrote which side the firewall is on for refference, and the box is circled in red.

Heres a clearer picture thats a little closer to the box in question. The box is once again circled in red.

Here is another view from slightly further back and from an angle where the camera was a few inches towards teh drivers door. You can see a large metal bracket that is immediatly recognized upon looking in this area, you can use it for refference on where to find the box. (This bracket MIGHT only be on trucks with power adjustable pedals, but not sure yet?)

Finally once you slip your mirror over your box this is what you will see. As you can see the code is immediatly visible and very clear. Just remember your looking at a mirror so the numbers will be backwards! I blacked out my middle 3 numbers but you can see how easy it is to read. There is PLENTY of room to slip the mirror in place.

Last edited by 1; 11-01-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
GREAT POST,
Nick

Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
sandaholics
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey "1",
Thanks for the info!!! I`ve tried everything from pulling radio and half of dash apart to find those dang numbers. Had the "small book" of possible codes emailed to me, but hadn`t had the time. I have an `05 Excursion, I followed your instructions and couldn`t believe how fast and easy it was to get my numbers.
Thanks again for the tip, and would recommend to everyone!!!
Don

Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

I just went into my 04 X and there the code is. Now I didnt need it but Its good to know,'
Thanks,
Nick

Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Posting Guru
Wow, i figured most of you guys had gotten your code by now. Glad too see my method works for others so well! This is way better then playing peekaboo and smashing wires every which way!

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 AM
FordCrusherGT
Senior User
This is great. When I get my Excursion back this weekend I will be sure to do that!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Anybody know where to find it on an '07 Expy????

I was able to find the one on my old '99 Expy with no problems... But I've been all over under the dash of my 'new-to-me' '07 and can't find the blessed thing anywhere

Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 1
I'm a fairly big guy at 6'3" 270 lbs.
I'd say!

Great post and detective work!!!

joe.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

We should ask a mod to make this thred a sticky because every one ask this question allot here,
Nick

Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We sorta discussed this back in January.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...07&postcount=9

Last edited by VaSheriff; 11-02-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VaSheriff
We sorta discussed this back in January.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...07&postcount=9
Your post was the one that made me change my plan of attack! I figured i would reach up and fish around till i found it. Then i saw how it was right there and how much room was around it and figured it would be easiest to just get a mirror in there. Knowing my luck if i tried peeling it off it would have torn right across the number and made it illegible. Also, if somehow the sticker got lost after removing it like the original card that came in the glovebox did, anyone that owns the truck after me might be screwed. This seems liek teh best method as all your doing is looking at it and your done.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Nice write up. Thanks.

Worked like a charm.

The numbers looked like Russian when upside down and reversed in the mirror.

You may need to drink large volumes of vodka before you start the process to help you interpret the numbers when found.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Posting Guru
I think I may redo these pictures to make them a little clearer and with more light, I just got a new digital camera. These pics were done with my cell phone and a cheap flashlight.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 PM
bigdog55
Senior User

The first time I took mine into the dealer for a LOF and a couple of other little things,I asked him if he could get the door code as it wasn't in the vehicle when I bought it used.Picked up the "X" later that day and he says the code is wriiten on the invoice for me..No charge..They used the VIN and went to the 'puter....Oh and that was a Lincoln dealer as two out of three Ford stealers in my area want too much money for parts and work....

Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 AM
RdSnake
New User
I just did this a few minutes ago and Im pretty happy about it! I have an 03 Ex PSD. move the passenger seat as far back as you can. I took out the hook panel and used a flashlight to illuminate the area. Immediately behind the hook is a white plastic hose and you have to look to the right of that hose towards the firewall. youre going to see a computer box with 3 plugs on the bottom of it and on the body of that box is a sticker with the code printed on it upside down. HTH

Quick Reply: How To: Retreive your door code on 02+ excursions. NEW EASIER METHOD!!!