Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
New User

rayers99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why does my F150 only get 11MPG?

I have a 1997 F150 with small V8 (4.6). The truck is stock (except for a K&L air filter). I have approx 80k miles on it. I use to get 15-16MPG, now I am at 11-11.5 every tank, city or HYW driving. I just had the oxygen/fuel sensor replaced, other then that the truck seems to run fine. I have had all of the required service done, tunes up etc.
This gas milage is killing me, I need your help. Something must be wrong!

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Elder User

ranger88a is starting off with a positive reputation.
K&N filter? Hmmmm maybe the maf sensor needs cleaning. Try that, it's a problem expecially with the K&N filter. Wouldn't waste my money on one!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger88a
K&N filter? Hmmmm maybe the maf sensor needs cleaning. Try that, it's a problem expecially with the K&N filter. Wouldn't waste my money on one!
I am glad that you feel this way too. So many people swear how good this filter is and don't realize it has to be maintained too - especailly on a Newer FORD. Dirty and too much oil will hurt performance.

Clean your filter or buy a paper filter and tune up the truck if you have not done in already.
Make sure your tire pressures are good too. I would say drive slower, but that never happens.

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Posting Guru

Club Wagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"11MPG" bites! Is that a 4X4 and/or automatic? I was complaining about 15-16 MPG on my '98 4X4 w/4.6 & automatic. Many people have noted that the oil from K&N filters can contaminate the MAP sensor, throwing off the system. In a 10 YO/80k vehicle I'd also look into brakes dragging & robbing efficiency. After riding awhile stop & feel each wheel to judge if anything is running hot or coast to a stop & feel for brakes grabbing. Also, fuel issues can gradually reduce efficiency. Poor injector spray patterns or low fuel pressure can rob power, causing you to apply more throttle. A leaking fuel pressure regulator can dump extra fuel. Note that excessive rich often exposes itself by black smoke from the exhaust & can easily overheat cats, breaking them down & clogging them!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
New User

Thanks for the quick feedback. This truck is not even a 4x4, it's a 2 wheel drive w/ automatic.
I recently cleaned the air filter and "re-oiled it". I didn't think about contaminating the MAG senor (where ever that is). I do check the tire pressure regularly. Checking the brakes for drag is easy enough, but how to I determine poor injector spray patterns or low fuel pressure? Should I take it in to a shop? I really need to increase the MPG, this is crazy.............
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Posting Guru

KingRanchMan02 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KingRanchMan02 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Clean the MAF. It senses the amount of air flowing through the throttle body. Oil on the MAF will cause it to sense more air flowing than normal and richens the fuel mixture causing fuel mileage to suffer. Click here for a picture of the where the MAF is located. Be sure to use an appropriate cleaner for electronic sensors. DO NOT touch the fine wire element of the sensor. It is very delicate and will break easily. Spray it down, let it dry and reinstall it. Good luck!
FTE Ride of The Week, 4/20/09 !!!
`08 Mercury Sable Premier, 3.5L Duratec, 6 speed auto
Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Junior User

mdpitt is starting off with a positive reputation.
the menmbers above are correct and ar giving some good advise for your MPG problem, I did as they suggested and mine improved, at the same time I use Techron 20oz bottel in tank and all together gave be about 15-16, chow
Old 11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
New User

Thanks guys, that will be the first thing that I try....................
Thanks for the picture, they alwyas help
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Posting Guru

Club Wagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, not MAP or MAG, its MAF= Mass Air Flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayers99
MAG senor (where ever that is)
MAF sensor is the electrical 'duck' inside the accordian tubing 'under' the air filter. Another thing that's critical is no leaks in the tubing to the throttle body, any leak under the MAF will throw off FI.

I like Techron also, especially if a high mileage tank hasn't been treated with any 'conditioner' for a long time.

You can pull the vacuum line to the fuel reg to check if raw gas has been drawn through it, indicating a leak. You'll need a fuel pressure guage to tap into FORD & specs to test the supply for pressure, volume & leak down. You'll often hear 'change the gas filter' & these are commonly neglected. Keep in mind that 100K of good gas can leave a 10 YO filter functioning fine, but a single tank of w/crud can severely upset fuel injection.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
/me takes out a pen and paper

11mpg is better than what I'm getting...

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
/me takes out a pen and paper

11mpg is better than what I'm getting...
MPG doesn't count off road.

Smiles per gallon does

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Postmaster

ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khadma
MPG doesn't count off road.

Smiles per gallon does
Dang...Well at least I tried

I have burnt 1/2 tank before and not even gone 10 miles...mud is fun

Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior User

whimsey is starting off with a positive reputation.
All I know is that with real gas I get 21 mpg, with MTBE gas I get 16 mpg, with the new required ethanol gas I get 13-13.5 mpg. This is all for the same type of driving. How is burning more fuel better to go the same distance better for the enviroment??? Ironically enough, adding ethanol to gasoline increase the NOX emissions as I understand. So it's a net polluter. Price of food increases, pollution increases, our cost to drive increases and we pay more gas taxes because we are using more fuel to go the same distance. Drill in Anwar and get oil from America to Americans! .

Whimsey
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsey
All I know is that with real gas I get 21 mpg, with MTBE gas I get 16 mpg, with the new required ethanol gas I get 13-13.5 mpg. This is all for the same type of driving. How is burning more fuel better to go the same distance better for the enviroment??? Ironically enough, adding ethanol to gasoline increase the NOX emissions as I understand. So it's a net polluter. Price of food increases, pollution increases, our cost to drive increases and we pay more gas taxes because we are using more fuel to go the same distance. Drill in Anwar and get oil from America to Americans! .

Whimsey

That's exactly what the government and oil companies want

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
11, 11mpg, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, city, driving, f150, highway, lightning, mpg, truck