Want to be beat bro's truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to be beat bro's truck

Around town here the truck to beat is my 1995 F350 with a 460, & everyone thinks if they can beat me then they must have a fast vehicle. It’s very flattering for people to think that, but at the same time, I think people are misunderstanding this truck, and this engines capability. Yes its very, very powerful, and the truck itself is very strong, but its not a dragster, its anything but that, but I have created an outer shell that looks and sounds badass, to give people this notion that I am packing 500hp. Anyway, my brother has got this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport/Off Road, and he’s got the 5.9L. Well we lined them up the other night, and he clearly had me a few truck lengths until 60mph. Anyway, I want to reclaim that battle. But I don’t know what sort of things I can do to this truck to get it over that 300+hp range....I still need headers, so that be a start, but instead of wasting a bunch of money on bolt on's after that, what are some quick internals I can do to get some power. Also...if i did strengthen the motor, do I have to rebuild any other parts of the truck like the gearing and transmission to match the engines power, or can those components convert that sort of power? Thanks guys. My only concern is that I don’t want to get deep inside the motor, and then 50,000 miles from now need a rebuild or a head gasket, wouldn’t that be redundant to go back into the motor? Should i wait until I need to rebuild it later down the road and then do a camshaft ect....?

Last edited by FordF350Baby; 10-30-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 AM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking start with a chip...
Other than that, I think you are limited with the efi 460... Headers will also help, and dual exhaust with X or H pipe.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Big_Man_Brad
Senior User
What size gears do you have???I have raced plenty on 5.9s and won...One top of that my truck is stock...

Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Diesel Smoker
Senior User
Go to 460ford.com lots of excellent info there on 460's

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 PM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
I have 3.55's, and already have a true dual. YOu guys think a chip and headers will really do the trick? Thanks for the site link

Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
wd13
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordF350Baby
I have 3.55's, and already have a true dual. YOu guys think a chip and headers will really do the trick? Thanks for the site link
If yours is anything like mine, it wont get out of its own way!

Headers will be a start but you're limited on what you can do internally to make power on the efi

Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 PM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wd13
If yours is anything like mine, it wont get out of its own way!

Headers will be a start but you're limited on what you can do internally to make power on the efi
lol I might just be crazy, but this thing pretty much stock is very fast, just eats alot of gas

Old 11-04-2007, 12:20 PM
wd13
Senior User
lol I might just be crazy, but this thing pretty much stock is very fast, just eats alot of gas
No doubt, mine likes the fuel too! Maybe mine was rolled off the line on a Mon. lol

Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
MychalCrowson
Junior User
chip,headers x pip will help plus if you switched to 4.10 gears or even 3.73 that would be just as noticeable. from there you pretty much only have internal motor work to do.if you got $2500 paxton or vortech makes a bolt on supercharger kit for those pickups equipped with 460. If you did all that you'd be lookin closer to 400hp,nearly 500lbs torque and it would be like a whole new better ford. Of course if you did all that your transmission you'd need some work if its auto, if its 5sp your good to go

Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MychalCrowson
chip,headers x pip will help plus if you switched to 4.10 gears or even 3.73 that would be just as noticeable. from there you pretty much only have internal motor work to do.if you got $2500 paxton or vortech makes a bolt on supercharger kit for those pickups equipped with 460. If you did all that you'd be lookin closer to 400hp,nearly 500lbs torque and it would be like a whole new better ford. Of course if you did all that your transmission you'd need some work if its auto, if its 5sp your good to go
Thank you for the answers. I have a h pipe, is that just as good? WIll increasing gear size limit higher speeds, where to find the gearing? I will do chip, and headers for sure. Regarding gearing, how hard is to change it out? I have to do front differncial to right? Then if i did supercharger, will the internals of the motor be able to handle the new air flow, or will i need a new camshaft and rockers ect to be able to **** all the new air out? And what sort of work to do to a E4OD automatic transmission?

Last edited by FordF350Baby; 11-05-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
Another thing to do, that is if you want to go into the motor, is to flow out the chambers. Yep, I'm talking about head work! Just by doing some simple upgrades to your heads will help a bunch. Ford heads are typically set up somewhat restrictive to pass emission laws. Go up a little on the exhaust valve, and smooth out the ports on both the intake and exhaust sides. If your truck is not MAF, then convert it over and get a chip programmed. You already know about a set of headers, so that is an obvious statement. After that, a new set of larger injectors to dump more fuel and you should be all set until it's time to go stroker!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 AM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kjett
Another thing to do, that is if you want to go into the motor, is to flow out the chambers. Yep, I'm talking about head work! Just by doing some simple upgrades to your heads will help a bunch. Ford heads are typically set up somewhat restrictive to pass emission laws. Go up a little on the exhaust valve, and smooth out the ports on both the intake and exhaust sides. If your truck is not MAF, then convert it over and get a chip programmed. You already know about a set of headers, so that is an obvious statement. After that, a new set of larger injectors to dump more fuel and you should be all set until it's time to go stroker!
haha yes! excellant..Should replace gaskets while in there ect...? cam shaft? Or how much for a stroker kit?? And how much to get it installed? Weeks?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
kjett
Post Fiend
If you are going to go full bore, then I'd swap the cam and go for the stroker. The computer will need major upgrades to handle the amount of fuel needed if you go much bigger with the cam and/or displacement. You didn't mention a budget so I didn't want to break the bank on a mild upgrade. The 460 is already a great performer out of the box, you just need to tweek it to get more oomph from her....

Vheck around as there are a bunch of places where you can get a stroker kit from. It all depends on how much you want to spend.As for time and money to get it installed, it depends on who is doing the work and how busy the shop is. If you go to a good reputable shop, expect it to take a while to have the work done, if you go low buck, and to a lesser reputable shop, it may be quicker/cost less, but remember you get what you pay for.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
FordF350Baby
Posting Guru
Ya I think if i was going to do it i would go all out because it aint worth going hlaf ***. I got a local performance guy that does alot of my work for me so i think he would be the right guy for the job. Just sometimes people get a little overwhelmed with working with such a large engine, but I think this is exactly what this truck could use is a new life. She is quick and strong and all, but its time to start beating this chevys and dodges around town, you can tell this ole 460 is no longer the king of the jungle any more.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
kjett
Post Fiend
Ya I think if i was going to do it i would go all out because it aint worth going hlaf ***.
I agree with that, i just didn't know what your budget and time constraints were. Not everyone is ready to make the big leap into a full stroker rebuild with all new fuel management system, especially not on a DD street truck...

If your bank account can support it, go all out and build a monster! Just don't expect to get decent fuel milage tooling around town after it's done!

Quick Reply: Want to be beat bro's truck