4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

Old 10-16-2002, 03:57 PM
ws23l77187904
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

I've got a leaking oil pan gasket on my '94 F-150 4.9L-6. Looks like the gasket "squished" out somewhat during engine assembly at the factory. The area is right above the oil filter. It's not the filter, because the engine is high and dry above the rail. Time has gotten the better of the gasket, and now I've got a persistant leak.

How much of a job is it to change this thing out with the engine still in the truck? I don't mind lifting it off the mounts, but I really hate thinking about pulling the engine just to change this gasket. Looks like the gasket set up is two side rail pieces with front and rear "half-moon" pieces to go over the mains. I really only need to replace the left side rail piece; the other side is dry.

Has anyone pulled this off with the engine still in? How much of a nightmare was it? Give me your thoughts...

Thanks

Old 10-16-2002, 07:59 PM
mark41
New User
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

not a bad job at all. just a little time consuming .you only have to unbolt the motor mounts no engine pulling.the book says pull the radiator but i didnt have to on my 92 f150 4x4

Old 10-18-2002, 05:03 PM
jacoby
Freshman User
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

I had to do mine about 6 or so months ago. Not a problem. The gaskets on your truck is a one piece rubber gasket. You can just drain the oil and unbolt the pan and rest it on the crossmember. There is not alot of room but enough to do the job. Because the gasket is rubber it does not stick to badly. Once you have the pan down just cut the old gasket and pull it out of the way. You have to work the new gasket in around the oil pump and be careful not to bend the pickup tube. Set the gaket in place and put a little bit of silicone on the corners of the dips in the pan. You dont need to use silicone any other part of the gasket. The gasket i got had 4 little plastic holders that held the gasket to the bottom of the motor and the pan slid over them to hold everything in place as you start all the bolts. Then just tighten the bolts up and fill her back up. If you have any more question I'll do my best to help.
Jacoby
1994 f-150 4x4
Inline 6
6" lift
35" BFG Mudders.

Old 10-19-2002, 09:01 AM
meck
Freshman User
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

Can you give the name brand of that one-piece gasket? The only ones I've seen here in this small town are the four piece jobs, a real pain to work with compared with a one-piece. I'd like to get one like you mention.

Thanks,

Meck

Old 10-28-2002, 11:05 AM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

Well, I used the stock four piece gasket on my rebuilt 4.9 and even though it took a couple of goes, I found that if I used a tacky enough gasket sealer and let it FULLY set up the four piece would stay in place and NOT get squished out. Patience IS a virtue. Tank care.

Old 10-28-2002, 11:13 AM
SPROCKET
Senior User
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

I got my gasket from napa and it came with four little plastic studs to hold it in place...I did everything like jacoby said above...I didn't use any silicone or anything and the whole job took about an hour.

BTW, you don't need to loosen or remove any motor mounts, the oil pan gasket should be rubber and flexible enough to work with it.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:55 PM
stractor
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket

Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 AM
merrillmadness
New User
Oil pan gasket

The one peice gasket is rubber and made by felpro

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM
selvog14
New User
would this also work on a 95 with an inline 6?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:01 AM
merrillmadness
New User
Yes this will work on a 95, I have a 96 and the felpro rubber gasket works just fine

Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
budford
Cross-Country
From what I've seen the carbed engines had the four piece gaskets while the fuel injected engines had the one piece rubber gaskets. I have had to change both and preferred the one piece. I always used fel-pro brand as I have had engine builders recommend the brand.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by budford
From what I've seen the carbed engines had the four piece gaskets while the fuel injected engines had the one piece rubber gaskets. I have had to change both and preferred the one piece. I always used fel-pro brand as I have had engine builders recommend the brand.
With the help of a grinder one can apply the EFI one piece gasket to the older carb engines too. You simple grind off the raised ring around each bolt hole on the oil pan, and there you go. The EFI gasket works great.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
1967 Tempest
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
With the help of a grinder one can apply the EFI one piece gasket to the older carb engines too. You simple grind off the raised ring around each bolt hole on the oil pan, and there you go. The EFI gasket works great.

Does this mean that you can remove the oil pan completely? I have an 86 that is leaking. I will replace the gasket in the spring when it is warm. Meaning if I can remove the pan, I might as well replace the pump and pick-up. I am sure if I DO use the 4 piece job that a lot of Gascacinch set-up will do the trick.

Thanks
Dave

Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM
91CavGT
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1967 Tempest
Does this mean that you can remove the oil pan completely? I have an 86 that is leaking. I will replace the gasket in the spring when it is warm. Meaning if I can remove the pan, I might as well replace the pump and pick-up. I am sure if I DO use the 4 piece job that a lot of Gascacinch set-up will do the trick.

Thanks
Dave

I recently replaced the oil pan on my truck and it was not exactly easy, but it had an over sized drain plug in it that was stripped out and leaking.

You have to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor up. On my '94, I also had to unbolt the windshield wiper motor and bend a metal bracket on the back of the engine. Then I had to lift the engine with an engine hoist so I could pull the old pan out and work the new one in.

During all of this I found that the side inspection cover gasket was leaking and my motor mounts were shot. So a couple hour job turned into an all day project.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
1967 Tempest
Freshman User
Smile

Originally Posted by 91CavGT
I recently replaced the oil pan on my truck and it was not exactly easy, but it had an over sized drain plug in it that was stripped out and leaking.

You have to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor up. On my '94, I also had to unbolt the windshield wiper motor and bend a metal bracket on the back of the engine. Then I had to lift the engine with an engine hoist so I could pull the old pan out and work the new one in.

During all of this I found that the side inspection cover gasket was leaking and my motor mounts were shot. So a couple hour job turned into an all day project.

Yeah I was gonna order motor mounts as well. I am extremely familiar with the "Might As Well" jobs..

You have the motor up, "Might As Well" change the pan, "Might As Well" change the oil pump and pick-up. "Might As Well" change the tie rod ends since the tire is off. !!! I own two classic cars and the next thing you know the engine is at the machine shop!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.9L-6 Oil Pan Gasket