1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Problems Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
BigDa
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems Starting

I just finished installing some power windows on my 98' XL. The installation went great and both windows work perfect. I got back into my truck to start it up and go to a little test drive and when I turn the key all I get it a click. All my gauges are reading find and my radio hasn't reset like it would if I had a dead battery. I ran the power for my windows straight off of my battery to see if that would fix the problem and it did nothing. I checked all of my fuses and they are all good. Any idea on why my truck won't start and all I have is a "click" when I try to start it. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may or may not be related to your recent mods.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">What is the voltage on the battery when measured from battery post to post? Should be around 13.2 VDC. If the voltage is low, under 12 VDC and it has been on a battery charger, then replace the battery.

If battery voltage is good, then check voltage from the negative post to positive cable clamp. Voltage should not change. If it does, remove cable, clean post and clamp, reassemble and retest. Repeat this test in the reverse too. (Positive post to negative clamp).

Now, if the battery is good and you still have a starting problem. The battery is connected directly to the starter by a heavy battery cable (it is also connected to the starter relay). Test the voltage at the starter to a good vehicle ground. If the voltage is low, then clean up the connections, check the cable for corrosion wicked up under the insulation. Correct any problems found here.

On the other hand if the voltage is good here, then check the smaller wire at the starter for voltage when the ignition switch is in the start position. If there is no voltage there when the switch is on, then go to the starter relay.

The starter relay has three wires. One is from the battery(red), one to the starter(red), and the other(tan/red) is from a fuse (hot in start, F21) in the central junction box via the digital transmission range sensor. If you have no voltage out to the starter then check to insure that the tan/red wire is hot in start. If not, then troubleshoot back to the fuse and the DTR sensor. If this is good and there is no voltage on the red wire to the starter, then replace the starter relay.

Good luck!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
BigDa
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked the voltage at the battery and I have exactly 13.3 V. I then checked from post to cables and everything is still fine. I then crawled underneath my truck and checked the voltage at my starter. I have 12.8 V at the starter which seems like more than enough to me. This whole situation is very puzzling to me because I drove my truck last night and everything was fine and it has sat all day. Hasn't even been started and when I went to fire it up his afternoon I now have this click. I don't know what could have happened between last night and this afternoon since it hasn't even been started, let alone moved anywhere.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 12.8 VDC at the heavy cable on the starter is good. The smaller wire (from the starter relay) at the starter has to get voltage when the ignition switch is in the start position to engage the starter solenoid and turn the truck over. Have someone else turn the key to the start position while you check this wire. If there is no voltage there when the switch is on, then go to the starter relay.

The starter relay has three wires. One is from the battery(red), one to the starter(red), and the other(tan/red) is from a fuse (hot in start, F21) in the central junction box via the digital transmission range sensor. If you have no voltage out to the starter then check to insure that the tan/red wire is hot in start. If not, then troubleshoot back to the fuse and the DTR sensor. If this is good and there is no voltage on the red wire to the starter, then replace the starter relay.

Good Luck!