6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Synthetic CJ-4 Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bavrit
I believe that Amsoil makes a good product. However, if you have an engine problem, Ford will fight with you over not using an API oil. That will be the point.
My dealer said that would not be a problem. They cannot fight you if the oil you are using meets the requirments of the engine. Any good lab could prove that. I don't sell amsoil or any other brand of oil. I think everone should use what they feel comfortable with. I happen to think Amsoil is the best out there. Not that there aren't a ton of other good oils. API doesn't prove a oil is good. It just proves the manufacturer says it's good.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blue ghost
I know what Caveat Emptor means. What makes you think that a manufacture can't put maple syurp in a bottle. Tell me how API is going to prevent that.
This should answer your questions:

"API’s Engine Oil Program is a cooperative effort between the oil and additive industries and vehicle and engine manufacturers Ford, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler and those represented by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association and the Engine Manufacturers Association. The performance requirements and test methods are established by vehicle and engine manufacturers and technical societies and trade associations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE), and American Chemistry Council (ACC)."

"The Engine Oil Program is backed by an ongoing monitoring and enforcement program that ensures licensees adhere to program requirements. This includes running physical, chemical, and performance tests on licensed engine oils and verifying that the API-registered Marks are properly displayed on containers and convey accurate information to consumers."

"API has been testing off-the-shelf engine oils carrying the API Starburst and Donut under its Aftermarket Audit Program (AMAP) since 1994 and in 1999 began testing product dispensed from tanks and drums at quick-lube facilities, service stations, auto dealerships, and truck maintenance facilities. AMAP superseded the Oil Labeling Assessment Program (OLAP), a testing program jointly funded by the U.S. Army, the Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association (ILMA), the former American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA), and API. In the last 10 years, API has tested more than 5,000 licensed oils from around the world."

"Under AMAP, API-licensed engine oils are purchased in the marketplace and tested to determine their physical, chemical, and performance properties. The results are compared to licensee formulations on file at API. Conforming oils show test results that are consistent with the formulations on-file and meet program requirements. All samples undergo elemental analysis, viscosity at 100°C, and high-temperature/high-shear testing. They may also be tested for cold cranking, pumpability, volatility, gelation, foaming, filterability, flash point, and shear stability. Product packages are checked to make sure they correctly display the API Marks and carry product trace codes. A number of oils also undergo actual industry engine sequence testing for oxidation, deposits, sludge, varnish, and wear."

"If a licensed oil does not match the physical and chemical data on file with API, API will work with the licensee to evaluate the nonconformity and take appropriate corrective action. Unresolved nonconformance issues are subject to additional enforcement actions spelled out in API 1509. Actions may include termination of the license to display the API Marks and removal of noncomplying product from the marketplace. If a licensed or unlicensed oil displays an improper label or unauthorized labeling data, API will require the marketer to cease and desist from committing the violation and will request verification that the violation has been corrected."
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...bout/index.cfm

Old 10-29-2007, 05:46 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
API doesn't prove a oil is good. It just proves the manufacturer says it's good.
This is a completely false statement. Please see above posts and links to API.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bavrit
I believe that Amsoil makes a good product. However, if you have an engine problem, Ford will fight with you over not using an API oil. That will be the point.
It is not just an engine problem, "API CJ-4" certified & licensed oil is also developed to protect the EGR system, EGR diesel oxidation catalyst and the DPF. Using an engine oil that is Not "API CJ-4" cetified & licensed risks poisoning the EGR DOC and DPF filter, in addition to not having the soot holding, Increase shear resistance, high temp resistance and non-corrosive characteristics needed for the 2007 diesel emissions & ULSD requirements.

www.apicj-4.org/servicecategory_description.html
www.apicj-4.org/performance_specs.html

Old 10-29-2007, 07:32 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to find someone local who can get the Mobil Delvac synthetic 5-40- I like having the lighter viscosity when it gets REAL cold here in Iowa in February...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skl
I'll have to find someone local who can get the Mobil Delvac synthetic 5-40- I like having the lighter viscosity when it gets REAL cold here in Iowa in February...
Check with your local truck stops, I know TA for one carries Mobil Delvac products. You can also call Mobil and ask for your local distributors 1-800-662-4525

http://www.mobildelvac.com/USA-Engli...elvac_Home.asp

Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
[QUOTE=blackhat620]It is not just an engine problem, "API CJ-4" certified & licensed oil is also developed to protect the EGR system, EGR diesel oxidation catalyst and the DPF. Using an engine oil that is Not "API CJ-4" cetified & licensed risks poisoning the EGR DOC and DPF filter, in addition to not having the soot holding, Increase shear resistance, high temp resistance and non-corrosive characteristics needed for the 2007 diesel emissions & ULSD requirements.

www.apicj-4.org/performance_specs.html[/QUOTE]

So what your saying is that if it is not API cert. it cannot meet the requirments of the 6.4 and related emission components?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
[QUOTE=blue ghost]
Originally Posted by blackhat620
It is not just an engine problem, "API CJ-4" certified & licensed oil is also developed to protect the EGR system, EGR diesel oxidation catalyst and the DPF. Using an engine oil that is Not "API CJ-4" cetified & licensed risks poisoning the EGR DOC and DPF filter, in addition to not having the soot holding, Increase shear resistance, high temp resistance and non-corrosive characteristics needed for the 2007 diesel emissions & ULSD requirements.

www.apicj-4.org/performance_specs.html[/QUOTE]

So what your saying is that if it is not API cert. it cannot meet the requirments of the 6.4 and related emission components?
blue ghost: you've kind of been on the offensive here, so let me be a bit of the devil's advocate and ask the turn around question:

Where do you find your info that Amsoil meets or exceeds the standards your truck manufacturer requires to warrantee, or stand behind, the engine and emissions system? Do you test your own oil? Or just read and believe what they say....

Do tell.

Last edited by diesel_dan; 10-29-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
What i am saying is that if an oil is NOT "API Certified & Licensed CJ-4" you do Not know if it meets API CJ-4 standard or if it is safe to use in any Diesel engine that has 2007 Emissions and requires ULSD per the engine/ vehicle manufacture.

With an oil that is NOT API certified & licensed you do NOT know what is in the bottle, what the quality control is, and if todays batch still meets yesterdays batch or tomorrows batch specifications.

API is an ANSI approved & accredited standards developing organization, operating with approved standards development procedures and undergoing regular audits of its processes.

Amsoil has a 5w40 full syn. cj4. I am using it in my 6.4 I just sent my first oil sample off. We'll see how it comes back. I do not plan on extended drains, just the normal 10000 miles.
I did not say it was API certified. In imo Api means nothing except that it cannot be changed without further certification. API does not do the testing. They use the manufactures testing.
As I said API does not test anything. All they do is accept the test results of the manufacture. I am not going to get into the marketing because I have nothing to gain from it. I could tell you why they don't certify their oil with API but you would not believe it anyway. Bottom line their CJ4 meets CJ4 standards and is a full syn.
I know what Caveat Emptor means. What makes you think that a manufacture can't put maple syurp in a bottle. Tell me how API is going to prevent that.
My dealer said that would not be a problem. They cannot fight you if the oil you are using meets the requirments of the engine. Any good lab could prove that. I don't sell amsoil or any other brand of oil. I think everone should use what they feel comfortable with. I happen to think Amsoil is the best out there. Not that there aren't a ton of other good oils. API doesn't prove a oil is good. It just proves the manufacturer says it's good.
So far you have made numerous posts with many wild & false claims including that API does not randomly test "Certified & Licensed" products. In addition, you claim that the oil you use, which is not API certified & licensed, is a CJ-4 oil safe for use in 2007 Emissions controlled diesel engies requiring ULSD and using DPF technology.

Please post varifiable links with facts supporting your claims, as we would all like to learn about the verifiable facts you have that will support your claims. The members of FTE are always looking to add to the list of "API certified & licensed CJ-4" oils to run in there 6.4 PSD.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
SuperDuty P/U
New User
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by SuperDuty P/U; 10-30-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks blackhat60 for the excellent information... good post(s)

Bob

Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't find the Mobil 1 CJ-4 5-40 at any local store or truck stop in Des Moines- called Mobil's 800 number and they said Flying J would have it- they don't... did find a Valvoline synthetic 5-40 that meets CJ-4 at a local NAPA store, so I guess that will be the solution when the temps start dropping here in snow country.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
avmike
Junior User
Exxon has a new API CJ-4 oil on the market.......Don't know if it is partially synthetic or not......15W40. Really haven't heard much about it at all, just noticed it the other day at Sam's club and is a little cheaper than Rotella, but not much.,

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by skl
Couldn't find the Mobil 1 CJ-4 5-40 at any local store or truck stop in Des Moines- called Mobil's 800 number and they said Flying J would have it- they don't... did find a Valvoline synthetic 5-40 that meets CJ-4 at a local NAPA store, so I guess that will be the solution when the temps start dropping here in snow country.
I would check the lable on the Valvoline "Premium Blue" 5W-40 synthetic very closely. Both on API and the Valvoline website they list this oil as only being CI-4+ rated and Not CJ-4. The only oil Valvoline lists that is CJ-4 rated is the 15W-40 "Premium Blue" & the 10W-30, 15W-40 "All Fleet" both are dino oils.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...sp?product=113
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0028

Also since the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP is a new release (August 07), i would expect the truck stops to be stocking it shortly.
Also it can be purchased online here
http://avlube.com/automotive.html

They are just outside of Columbus OH.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by avmike
Exxon has a new API CJ-4 oil on the market.......Don't know if it is partially synthetic or not......15W40. Really haven't heard much about it at all, just noticed it the other day at Sam's club and is a little cheaper than Rotella, but not much.,
ExxonMobil is the same company, and they market very few diesel oils under the Exxon name (Exxon XD-3) is a CI-4+ rated dino oil in 10W-30 & 15W-40.

Look closer at the oil at Sam's club, if it is a 15W-40 CJ-4, it is a dino oil, and is more than likely a "Delvac or Fleet" branded oil. Mobil Delvac is available in either dino or synthetic.

List of Current ExxonMobil oils:
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0020

List of CJ-4 oils:
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServ...eCategory=CJ-4

List of CI-4+ oils:
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServ...eCategory=CI-4

Quick Reply: Synthetic CJ-4 Oil?