2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Stereo issue and "secret" adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
King of the Ranch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo issue and "secret" adjustments

I recently bought by wife a 2007 EL. While on a road trip a few weeks back my sister inlaw stated she couldn't hear the stereo very well. My wife and I never noticed but the rear speakers didn't put out as much sound as the front when balanced out. I started playing with the fade and noticed that the rear speakers indeed do not put out as much sound when I fade all the way back as the front do when I fade all the way to the front. So we took it in to the dealer and supposedly there are special features and adjustments not listed in the manual that needed adjustment. Well the stereo does sound slightly better but still not perfect. I was wondering if anyone had a list of these "secret" adjustments and how to acess them. This doesn't sound to far fetched to me because the volvo my wife had previously, had similar adjustments with a seperate manual that I found online. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, have you changed the sound field? Press menu until you come to the 'driver seat', 'all seats' or 'rear seats' display. Once here, use the arrow keys to select from one of the three. Choose all seats when you want everyone to listen, driver seat when it's just you. This adjusts 'sweet spot' of the stereo. The driver seat option makes a huge difference and that's the one I keep it on 90% of the time. Give it a try.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
myexpo02
Senior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Well, have you changed the sound field? Press menu until you come to the 'driver seat', 'all seats' or 'rear seats' display. Once here, use the arrow keys to select from one of the three. Choose all seats when you want everyone to listen, driver seat when it's just you. This adjusts 'sweet spot' of the stereo. The driver seat option makes a huge difference and that's the one I keep it on 90% of the time. Give it a try.
That is some good info to know.....Thanks

Old 10-18-2007, 10:58 PM
King of the Ranch
New User
I forgot to mention I tried the fields also. I'm trying to get the rear speakers to be louder. They are significantly quieter than the front on the same volume level.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... I did see somewhere some info where you hold down two buttons while powering on the radio and it lets you into the 'tech' mode. It plays static in all speakers one at a time to test each one, etc. I would post a Q in this forum. Ford techs hang there.

http://autotechnicianonline.com/forums/

Found this.

Summarized from the Ford Service Manual:

Speaker Walk-Around Test:
NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).
1. To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press and hold the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6 for approximately 3 seconds, then release.
2. The speaker walk-around test applies sound to each speaker for about 1.5 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR.

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode:
• NOTE: Always document and clear DTCs and carry out the audio unit on-demand self-test again.
1. To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the audio unit self-diagnostic mode.
2. To exit the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the key or the audio unit to OFF.
3. The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has 5 tests available:
• Preset Button 1 = Audio internal/external SELF TEST. This test is an on-demand self-test. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll through the DTCs stored. Refer to the Audio Unit DTC Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS will be displayed.
• Preset Button 2 = View/Clear continuous DTCs. NO DTCS is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCS FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > to view the DTCs retrieved. Refer to the Audio Unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs, press the EJECT button. DTCS CLEAR will be displayed.
• Preset Button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting. ** Perfect for testing antenna types and position changes. **
• Preset Button 4 = Software level query. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.
• Preset Button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test will light all the audio unit display segments for 5 seconds. When the test is complete, DISPLAY TEST is displayed on the bezel.
5. To exit the self-diagnostic mode, press the power button on the audio unit or turn the key to the OFF position.

Audio Unit DTC Index:
DTC - Description - Action

B1317 - Battery Voltage High - CHECK the charging system.

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low - CHECK the charging system.

B1342 - ECU Is Faulted - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2406 - Audio Disc CD Player Internal Fault - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC
B2406 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2477 - ECU Configuration Failure - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2477 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility. REFER to Section 415-01 . TEST the system for normal operation.

B2924 Audio Button Stuck INSPECT the audio unit for a stuck button and REPAIR the concern, if possible. CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2924 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2965 - Audio System Speaker Circuit Fault - See Ford Factory Service Manual for troubleshooting steps

Last edited by berry1234; 10-19-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Thanks for the information. My sound system sounds really good, So I think I won't mess with mine as if it can be made to sound worse. I am sure I could do it.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:40 PM
King of the Ranch
New User
Originally Posted by berry1234
Hmm... I did see somewhere some info where you hold down two buttons while powering on the radio and it lets you into the 'tech' mode. It plays static in all speakers one at a time to test each one, etc. I would post a Q in this forum. Ford techs hang there.

http://autotechnicianonline.com/forums/

Found this.

Summarized from the Ford Service Manual:

Speaker Walk-Around Test:
NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).
1. To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press and hold the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6 for approximately 3 seconds, then release.
2. The speaker walk-around test applies sound to each speaker for about 1.5 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR.

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode:
• NOTE: Always document and clear DTCs and carry out the audio unit on-demand self-test again.
1. To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the audio unit self-diagnostic mode.
2. To exit the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the key or the audio unit to OFF.
3. The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has 5 tests available:
• Preset Button 1 = Audio internal/external SELF TEST. This test is an on-demand self-test. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll through the DTCs stored. Refer to the Audio Unit DTC Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS will be displayed.
• Preset Button 2 = View/Clear continuous DTCs. NO DTCS is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCS FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > to view the DTCs retrieved. Refer to the Audio Unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs, press the EJECT button. DTCS CLEAR will be displayed.
• Preset Button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting. ** Perfect for testing antenna types and position changes. **
• Preset Button 4 = Software level query. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll view the software configuration version level.
• Preset Button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test will light all the audio unit display segments for 5 seconds. When the test is complete, DISPLAY TEST is displayed on the bezel.
5. To exit the self-diagnostic mode, press the power button on the audio unit or turn the key to the OFF position.

Audio Unit DTC Index:
DTC - Description - Action

B1317 - Battery Voltage High - CHECK the charging system.

B1318 - Battery Voltage Low - CHECK the charging system.

B1342 - ECU Is Faulted - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B1342 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2406 - Audio Disc CD Player Internal Fault - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC
B2406 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2477 - ECU Configuration Failure - CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2477 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility. REFER to Section 415-01 . TEST the system for normal operation.

B2924 Audio Button Stuck INSPECT the audio unit for a stuck button and REPAIR the concern, if possible. CLEAR the DTC. CARRY OUT the self-test. If DTC B2924 is retrieved again, REMOVE the audio unit and SEND it to an authorized audio system repair facility.

B2965 - Audio System Speaker Circuit Fault - See Ford Factory Service Manual for troubleshooting steps
Thanks for the information. I will see what can do with it. If not I will post like you said.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
IQ9
Senior User
Yes, THANK YOU for the info!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM
nfntruth
Senior User
There is some interesting info in that post, do you have the breakdown for all the wire colors out of the factory head unit as well. I want to keep my facgtory sirius radio, but I want to add an amp to run my aura base shakers, so it doesn't have to be top of the line sound quality, just the signal. So I bought a speaker level to RCA converter, just need to know what wires to splice...