1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Overdrive finally works

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:21 PM
microb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Overdrive finally works

Finally! I started about a year ago looking for an overdrive transmission and bellhousing to swap my HD 3spd with, slowly gathered used parts over time, rebuilt the "new" transmission and bolted it in. Recently I got back to work on it hooking up the electrical circuit, and after a couple of weeks of troubleshooting mechanical and electrical problems I took it on the first "succesfull" drive today. Its great that you can get it up to 30 in 2nd gear, then release and reapply the gas and its like a whole new gear without shifting to 3rd. I took it out on the road and at 55mph in 3rd OD it runs nice and calm. I also like the freewheeling feature that eliminates engine braking and allows you to coast when you let off the gas. I also found while experimenting that you can downshift from 3rd to 2nd without using the clutch, and you can downshift to 1st while driving without grinding the gears. This transmission is very cool and very fun to drive with.

Mike

Old 10-28-2007, 02:36 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Congrats on the new tranny!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 PM
5 Star
Elder User
Make sure you have the cable in the out position when in reverse. For some reason the O/D doesen't stand for O/D in reverse.
This was explained to me when I had mine and I took the advice and always done this practice.
Another nice thing about the O/D, is when your out passing you can kick down the pedal and its like a passing gear.
It kicks back into the main drive at about 26-28 MPH, so it can be used in town, or for low speeds. If you hear a click sound at around the above speed thats what it is doing, kicking it out of O/D.
This unit also works well with the Petronix Ignition.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 PM
microb
Senior User
I've been pushing the handle in when I back out of my garage, and then pull it out for forward driving. You also have to pull the handle out when parked or it can roll even when in gear. I'll have to look in to the Petronix ignition.
Mike

Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats im sure OD is a nice addition