Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Posting Guru

Okiedokie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason's Aspen / Volare Club - Pictures - GeoCities
Jason's Aspen / Volare Club - Pictures Cached

Take a look here for pictures and even how to.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Junior User

gerrymoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I've searched all over the web for a image of the bolt/nut that you loosen to lower the volare suspension, but can't find any, I assumed it would be a big nut somewhere at the end of the torsion bars but mine seem to be capped, I think Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
but I don't see anything, anyone have a pic of it?
Thx in advance Don
What year of clip are you working with. You can see this bolt from the bottom, each side, front side. From the top you see what appears as a long threaded bolt each side, front side.

I am not sure of the years of model these were used. My first one was a 74 Volare my second one was a 76 Dodge Aspen. So I know 74-76 Plymouth Volare and Dodge Aspen were common.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM
New User

Don Vito is starting off with a positive reputation.
I see a threaded rod on both the right and left side looking into the engine compartment from above, almost hidden by the inner fenders which appears to me that I'd adjust from in the engine compartment. The ends of my torsion bars (which look like sways bars) have no thing as far as bolt to turn. Unfortunately I have no idea what year the front end is from.
Are different year volare front ends different as far as where the adjustment is?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I see a threaded rod on both the right and left side looking into the engine compartment from above, almost hidden by the inner fenders which appears to me that I'd adjust from in the engine compartment. The ends of my torsion bars (which look like sways bars) have no thing as far as bolt to turn. Unfortunately I have no idea what year the front end is from.
Are different year volare front ends different as far as where the adjustment is?
Sounds to me like you have adjustable torsion bar. Jack the vehicle up using jack stands and look underneath that is where the adjustment takes place on the 74-76 volare- aspen. That threaded rod goes thru a wishbone type fiitting thats attached to the torsion bar. If I remember correctly it is a bolt approx 5-6 inches long with a 15/16 bolt head. You will actually have to be under to see them, they are somewhat up in the clip so won't be visible by just kneeling down and looking under.
I cannot answer if there are different adjustment points for different years.
I do know that the 74-76 volare-aspen is the most common set up used and they adjust in the same spots. Was first advertised in the truckin magazine than classic trucks in the late 70's early 80's.

Last edited by gerrymoe; 08-18-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
Junior User

I can't post pictures yet. Have not been a member long enough and even than I have to go get the proper wire to hook up my camera to the computer.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Postmaster

Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jag Red 54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I concur with everything that has been written. I would add that to adjust the height, you need to realize that the adjuster on the driver side raises/lowers the passenger side and visaversa. Also, you need to make the adjustment and then back the truck out of the garage and back in. Otherwise, the setting does not remain where you had it when you first lowered the front tires back to the floor. Also, use a ratchet with a small extension so you do not scrape the skin off of your knuckles when the wrench slips off! Jag
55 Crown Victoria
Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Posting Guru

Okiedokie is starting off with a positive reputation.
As usual, Jag is spot on. I might add that I use an air impact with a socket that I marked so I can see each rotation. That way I can undo if I want and be right back where I was.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
2009, adjust, adjusting, adjustment, end, f150, front, height, ride, suspension, trucks, valore, volare