Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior User

jimh425 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is B20 much of a solvent and cause clogged filters?

I've owned my PSD for about 1 1/2 years. It only has about 18K miles though.

I've read that B100 will really free tank deposits and clog fuel filters because of that. I wondered how much of a consideration it should be for B20. B20 is now locally available. I may not fill up with B20 always though so the concentration would be at most B20.

Does it mean that I should expect immediate clogs, should I up my frequency of changing the fuel filter, or will it be indistinguishable from running dino?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Posting Guru

adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.adambomb has a good reputation on FTE.
i don't belive that b20 will result in immediate of your fuel filters, it hasn't in my personal experiences and I have run b100 right off the bat. bio diesel does clean out diesel deposits in your fuel system, how fast is determined by blend of bio, quality of previous fuel, amount of miles on the truck, and how recent your fuel filters have been changed. you said you have 18k miles on your truck and if you follow the schedual maitenance you would have changed your fuel filters 3k miles ago so they are fairly new. if i would you i would change my filters out after about 3 tanks of b20 just to be safe. the injectors on our 6.0l are picky about fuel pressure and when your filters get clogged they can starve your injectors for fuel which is not good for them and will shorten their life.
good luck, ejoy supporting american farmers, helping the enviornment, and a smoother running truck !

2005 F350 6.0 (modded) ~450rwhp/900+ft/lb tq
1999 F350 7.3 (normal mods + 13" King Suspension on 40's)
1998 F150 (basic mods + 7" Suspension on 35's/Prerunner fiberglass and skidplace)
1994 Bronco (normal mods + 9" Coil Suspension on 35's)
Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
It will have the cleaning effects of bio, just not in the concentration of 100% bio.
So checking your fuel filter is still a good idea incase there are lots of build up in your tank and system that it starts cleaning out.

If you went strait to 100% you would probably clog up faster in the filter.
Bio is great stuff, try not to get it on your paint. =)
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
Be aware that anything over a B5 could void engine warranty if a problem arrises. I see your from WA. Here in Michigan my fuel supplier won't deliver B20 past Halloween because of possible jelling. I use B5 year round with no problems.
The 6.0 is very sensitive to fuel pressure and volume. Which if it is off could damage expensive parts. I change my fuel filer at 10K and pull it apart and have had only one partical pluging while on vacation.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior User

jimh425 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read up on the potential warranty issues before I put the B20 in. If you go to all sites out there including the Bio sites and the DOE site, you'll find that Ford or International will not void the warranty based on fuel only. There is also one publicized case of someone burning B100 in a 2008 and Ford ended up offering a replacement truck.

Futhermore, Ford and GM are evaluating, but are expected to follow Dodges lead of certifying B20. One other thing, there are federal standards for B20 at the pump. Part of the issue is that the fuel supplier is on the hook and that is similar to using certified oil. The manufacturer stands behind the consumer. If you mix your own, that goes out the window.

There is also quite a bit of DOE and other docs that compare B20 and less to other products like B100 and how they affect the vehicles.

BTW, I'm not trying to tempt fate, but a reasonable attempt by me to get rid of partial oil dependence is a good idea.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with what you say and am for going to B100 but until the warranty issue is cleared up I can't afford to pay legal bills etc to run B100. I just hate to see anyone getting burned by not knowing what the limit on the warranty possiblility is. It was just for information only.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels