BioDiesel is made with: SVO or WVO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BioDiesel is made with: SVO or WVO?

What is the biodiesel we buy at our local Stop N' Rob made with...waste or new vegitable oil? I've wondered, but considering there is only two places within 25 miles of me that sells biodiesel (one is B5, the other is B20) and one has one lazy person working the counter everytime I've ever been there to buy fuel (the B20 retailer) I haven't asked them any questions. My wife made the mistake of telling the clerk she was there to fuel the truck up for the forth time on B20 a couple of weeks ago...at which point she was told (by the clerk none the less) she would need to replace the fuel lines in the truck because B20 destroys the lines after three fill-ups. I got a phone call at that exact moment from my wife asking if something bad was fixing to happen to the truck. I claimly explained the truck ('04 model) will burn the B20 just fine and not to worry about the fuel lines...they are compliant with biodiesel. I have no clue what that clerk was smoking...I don't think Willie Nelson had been by.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
oddballish
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Engine Fuels

We switched to bio about six months ago in our fleet (Apox 650 rolling stock ) and we have started to plug filters.We dopped one tank from the worst offender and found a black slim in it .We have taken a sample and sent it out for testing .Some old timers think it is algy,we had a similer problem with non Bio about 20 years back.I will try and let you know the results,Hopefully in one to two weeks.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
In my experience most of the biodiesel sold at retail stations is made from SVO. The biodiesel i have bought that was WVO was from more of a grass roots low budget "station". Usually they will advertise that they use WVO feedstock because stations think people like to think they are doing a good thing buy recycling used oil. If made right both oils make great fuels. You can usually tell if they use WVO because the biodiesel is darker in color than bio made from virgin soy. Last summer when i was road tripping across country in my CAT motorhome (only using biodiesel) i fueled up on some biodiesel made from 50% Pork Fat 50% Virgin Soy and it was great fuel and smelled fantastic.

I have no clue what that clerk was smoking...I don't think Willie Nelson had been by.
hahaha

Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
We dopped one tank from the worst offender and found a black slim in it .We have taken a sample and sent it out for testing .Some old timers think it is algy
Just from reading on different forums, that sounds allot like algae...but I don't know that for a fact. I do know that if your running B100 it's highly recommended to run a Biocide to kill any microorganisms that will plug fuel filters and cause all knds of grief to the fuel system.

Last summer when i was road tripping across country in my CAT motorhome (only using biodiesel) i fueled up on some biodiesel made from 50% Pork Fat 50% Virgin Soy and it was great fuel and smelled fantastic.

I beat it smelled outstanding. Don't guess you remember where you purchased it? Next summer I'm looking at a little road trip (2200-2400 miles round trip) and would be willing to detour a couple of miles to tank up on some of that for the trip.

I just wish I could find more than the one B20 retailer in my area, the one B20 retailer I've got doesn't have the brightest light bulb working the counter....so asking questions could be hazardous to my mental health.

Last edited by zhilton; 11-25-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
I beat it smelled outstanding. Don't guess you remember where you purchased it? Next summer I'm looking at a little road trip (2200-2400 miles round trip) and would be willing to detour a couple of miles to tank up on some of that for the trip.
The station that had the 50/50 (pork fat/soy) was in the Dallas Fort Worth area. This stuff was beautiful, just sparkling in the sun, and I filled the motohome all the way up and a couple extra 5 gal jugs for the road. It was a really fun road trip, we started in California and took the southern route all the up to New York then took the northern route back to Cali. Along the way we met alot of cool people who sold biodiesel and made a few detours to make sure we always had bio in the tank.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
DFW area sounds like Carl's Corner....as I understand it, the first place you could buy Bio-Willie. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm headed to South Texas.