Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

Newbie intro and can anyone recommend a machine shop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Brawny
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie intro and can anyone recommend a machine shop?

Fairly new to the site and wanted to introduce myself in here. I live in a little town (Stover) in central MO. Just bought a 90 F250 XLT Lariat 4x4. Truck was from IL and sat for a while and has all of those great rusty, sat in a farm field issues. P/o put in a new clutch and I just did a complete tune up, fluid change and general go thru on it. Only to find what I believe to be a spun bearing. Which brings me to this.......

Looking for a reputable machine shop in the Jeff city,Lake Ozark area. I am rebuilding the 351W in my truck. There is nothing in the podunk town I live in nor any around that I can find. Sedalia, Jeff city, and Lake Ozark are the best bets I can come up with. If anyone has a place they have used and were happy with around here I would appreciate it.

I am sure I will be around here more often as just in the truck forum for my year I have found a wealth of info about my truck. I am new to workin on Fords. I mostly owned GM's in the past until my previous truck which is a 72 IH 3/4 2wd. But now my main farm truck will be this Ford so I will have plenty of questions along the way I am sure

Sean

Old 10-27-2007, 10:01 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean, I'm up in Osage Beach and have a buddy with a shop into drag racing. I'll ask monday am where he thinks to go. I know he used one in Buffalo a few times, but last I knew he was pissed at something they did wrong on his drag car. I'll pm you back on Monday sometime with a shop.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Brawny
Junior User
Good deal. Thats the problem I am having. Have heard not so great things bout all the shops I have found so far. I aint looking to build a high HP monster but do want quality.

Sean

Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Hi Brawny. Welcome to FTE!!

6L Loser will steer you right. (Oops, I meant 6L PWR...really I did...)

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Brawny
Junior User
6L PWR, I am hoping you didn't get lost. I will be finished with my tear down tomorrow and need some direction.....

O'rielly's said they could send it to Springfield where they have a machine shop. I just don't like the idea of sending it to a cookie cutter shop many miles away.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
jomac11
Elder User
Outlaw Racing Engines in Camdenton is also a full service machine shop. Just make sure that you are very clear on what you want them to do. They build all of our dirt car motors and seem to do a pretty good job on most of it.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jomac11
Outlaw Racing Engines in Camdenton is also a full service machine shop. Just make sure that you are very clear on what you want them to do. They build all of our dirt car motors and seem to do a pretty good job on most of it.
Sorry, my buddy was at SEMA and didn't answer his cell. Yeah, Outlaw, but be very specific!!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Brawny
Junior User
No problem, Don't like the tone in both of ya'lls message bout bieng specific with Outlaw. I talked to the guy at KW racing in Tuscumbia. He seems old school and had a good attitude. So I am scheduled to take everything in to him on Sunday so I guess I will have a shop to suggest if he does me right.

Thanks for the help though!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:05 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Glad you found someone. Keep us posted.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM
97 Mountain Man
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Brawny
No problem, Don't like the tone in both of ya'lls message bout bieng specific with Outlaw. I talked to the guy at KW racing in Tuscumbia. He seems old school and had a good attitude. So I am scheduled to take everything in to him on Sunday so I guess I will have a shop to suggest if he does me right.

Thanks for the help though!
You need to be specific with what ever machine shop you have do the work. You can't just drop it off and go "Here, call me when it's done."

Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Brawny
Junior User
Originally Posted by 97 Mountain Man
You need to be specific with what ever machine shop you have do the work. You can't just drop it off and go "Here, call me when it's done."

I understand that, but at the same time some "include" the common stuff with certain jobs. Plus it seemed as though there were issues with it or they wouldn't BOTH have said the same thing bout Outlaw.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM
jomac11
Elder User
Basically, if you aren't specific, they will just do what they think needs to be done. A friend of mine took a block to them to have it checked for cracks and the cylinders honed and he got a .030 over block back...

Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
97 Mountain Man
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jomac11
Basically, if you aren't specific, they will just do what they think needs to be done. A friend of mine took a block to them to have it checked for cracks and the cylinders honed and he got a .030 over block back...
Which could happen with any machine shop.

I work for a company that makes hose assemblies and I am the inside person that helps with this. If someone brings in a hose and just drops it off with out specific details I will not have it made. There are all kinds of variables.

The same thing applies to machine shops. I just don't want to see you get taken for something you don't need or not have done what needs to be done.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
I was just repeating what my buddy told me about them. I've never used a machine shop. My block was blown so bad I'm turning it into a coffee table.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
And so??? Where ya at?