The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

CB Radios

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will see if it has a brand name on it tomrrow. It is a cool set up. I haven't had the need to remove it, but if you had two brackets you could easily swap between two trucks.

Check out this link http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_radio-bracket.htm

The last bracket on page might be helpful to you. It is not the kind I have, but it could be an option for you. I will check out mine tomorrow and get a picture or two of how it is set up.

Last edited by 73f100shortbed; 01-24-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
in highschool all the truck guys had em and we would all talk when we would 'convoy' to fridays or applebees, or when we would pass each other in town we would say hi, now i just use it when i drive on the interstate to listen to the truckers.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 AM
sinister7.3
Freshman User
man i turn on the cb before i even turn on the truck..... its just always on and theres plenty conversation.....got cobra 29 nightwatch tuned and peaked ... it's going in the shop this weekend to add echo board and talkback

Old 03-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive got a cb mounted in my truck, mounted it to roof, used 1 5/8 wood screws pre drilled into roof and ran screws up, its actually screwed to a brace of some sort above the headline but below the actual roof skin. Looks good, out of the way and i keep the mike above the sunvisor. The cb is right above the rearview mirror. Around lubbock, im usually on channel 19, or 5, depeninding where im at, in town usually 5, but the loop and interstate its 19 to listen to the truckers for info, never new anybody round here used channel 9. I have 2 whips, i mounted one and thought it looked disporpotionate (SP) so i mounted the other one. un connected. I wish i knew what kind of whips i have, i bought them off a friend of mine for 50 bucks, look great and i get decent range but i would think i should get more for how big they are, there about 5 feet tall.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
hey Truckin, go to South Plains Electronics on Q right across from Shamrock Chevy (30th something ish?). Bob is the guy there, he can do basically anything CB wise. It kinda a hole-in-the-wall place, but hes that good at what he does

Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
alright, thanks for the info.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Santa 1
New User
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
Ive got a cb mounted in my truck, mounted it to roof, used 1 5/8 wood screws pre drilled into roof and ran screws up, its actually screwed to a brace of some sort above the headline but below the actual roof skin. Looks good, out of the way and i keep the mike above the sunvisor. The cb is right above the rearview mirror. Around lubbock, im usually on channel 19, or 5, depeninding where im at, in town usually 5, but the loop and interstate its 19 to listen to the truckers for info, never new anybody round here used channel 9. I have 2 whips, i mounted one and thought it looked disporpotionate (SP) so i mounted the other one. un connected. I wish i knew what kind of whips i have, i bought them off a friend of mine for 50 bucks, look great and i get decent range but i would think i should get more for how big they are, there about 5 feet tall.
Do you have photos of this set up? Looking to install a CB and a VHF radio into the truck. I want easy access to them, had thought of sticking them above the visor but might end up hitting my head getting in and out of the truck.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Currently just got a Cobra 18 series for my 88 F150 and got a cobra 19 or 50 series I can't remember exactly for the Bronco 2 and 89 F350 once all 3 are on the road again. Got to set them up but so far all our mounted by the ash tray or on the lower part of the dash by the floor hump. For all 3 plan to take stock antennas for the antenna so it looks stock. I am planning on just using them to talk to my brothers while we are on the road. My dad has a portable one in the 02 F250 but rarely uses it.
Trav

Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
I'm in san angelo, TX and I usually get a conversation on at least 2 or 3 channels. Definitely not outdated if you live somewhere with a lot of truckers (San angelo has a ton of oil field traffic) or like me in the mountains or valleys where cell signal is iffy.

I have a cobra cb from Walmart. It was only meant to be a temp until I could find another one that's better. I'm very surprised at its quality and it's become permanent. I'm going to get a better mic but that's it. I've got a single 6 footer antenna with a coil mounted to the center of my toolbox

Here's a pic of my truck and you can see most of my antenna. Don't got a pic of my cb though

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Salts
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
So I'm just wondering what ya'll actually use these things for. I've got a Cobra wired into my truck right now, and I've got a second rig/mag mount to give to whoever I'm roadtripping with, but that's all I ever use it for, just to talk to people that I'm driving with. When I happen to flip it on in town, no ones ever talking. So do people actually use these things ever, or are all these antennas I see in the parking lots there for decoration? Oh yeah, and does anyone ever listen to Ch. 9 anymore? Since cell phones are everywhere, seems like it's an outdated way to get help.

most truckers don't use line of site CB anymore, many use digital these days ( or so i've been told)

Old 05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I hope things have improved over the interceding 7 years since my OP

But what's this digital stuff, I'm interested. I'm still using two Cobra 19/ mag mount setups for road trips, but everything else has fallen by the way side.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Salts
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I hope things have improved over the interceding 7 years since my OP

But what's this digital stuff, I'm interested. I'm still using two Cobra 19/ mag mount setups for road trips, but everything else has fallen by the way side.
wow didn't even notice the dates lol ...ah the digital, truth be told i don't know much but i remember about 4-5 years ago i was traveling with my grandparents in their RV and they had a CB line of sight, and i asked my grandfather why there wasn't much chatter on any of the channels when conveys passed us by, and he explained to me that most truckers didn't use normal cb anymore and that most used digital (maybe he meant satellite?).

on the topic in particular tho i don't know much about it however a quick internet search has turned up some interesting results, hmm wonder if an aircraft or ship radio could be used...although i don't know much about radio tech so that idea could be utterly redundant

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
I live about 2 miles away from I-10 in Phoenix, and any time I flip on my cb, almost every channel is being used. 19 is jam packed

But other than the trucks, not many people have them around here. I think it would be pretty cool if everyone still had a cb in the car. Like smokey& the bandit and the dukes of hazzard.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Citizen band talk boxes are fun to play with.
But being limited to 4w transmitter output kinda puts me off.
If you want to really reach out and talk to the world have a look into a ham radio rig.
Ham Radio License Manual

From a handheld cb you might get real lucky with skip and talk across town.
With a decent ham handheld you might talk to Australia, or Egypt.

Morse copy is no lonver even a requirement for a radio license.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Well, plans have changed. I ended up getting a cobra 29. I took out my ashtray and mounted it there. I needed somethin to mount it with and I hated the black plastic look. I made a custom cover/mount for it with my own two hands, a vise, some pieces of 2x4 a pair of vise grips, and a rubber mallet. It all started with some hardware and a piece of 12x24in diamond plate from Lowes

Quick Reply: CB Radios