Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior User
1952 Ford F-100

twise is starting off with a positive reputation.
generator to alternator conversion

I have a 292 Y block and was wondering what the correct steps are and any brackets that I made need to convert the generator over to a one wire alternator. thanks also does anyone know which belt would work for the alternator. thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior User
1952 Ford F-100

anything? anybody?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

Truxx1956 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Truxx1956 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking

How handy are you? Can you weld? Those questions first, but what I usually do. I take the alt, and hold it up to the engine and start planing a bracket setup. Try to find a bolt hole you can use. I know th Yblock don't have any holes in the front of the heads. So most likely you'll have to come off from the exhaust manifold bolts, and the intake manifold bolts. I don't know if anyone makes a "bolt"on bracket that does that. I'm no Yblock guy, but there are several ones on here. Maybe they'll chime in here? Yblocks look really cool, and sound cool also, so good luck on finding a bracket setup. If you lived close to me, I'd come over and help you.
If it's worth doin, it's worth OVERDOING 1956 F100 PEGYSU 1994 F150 Flare-Side 1956 F100 Panel truck 1961 Unibody 2005 Taurus Romans 3:23--6:23-- 10 9-13
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior User
1952 Ford F-100

thanks for the info. i guess its just a matter of finding a good alternator and then just making a bracket to bolt it to so that it lines up with the pulley belt system, correct. i plan on buying a one wire alternator and then just trying to estimate which belt length i will need for it. thanks again.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

itzaford is starting off with a positive reputation.
alternator

Well, on my Y block, I just reworked the existing gennie brackets, and used some heavy hardware store strap to make one of the brackets. I had a Delco alternator from the seventies that I used. I prefer the three wire setup. The parts are more available, and it should give you better performance. It is really easy to hook it up, with a little research. One heavy lead to the battery. The field lead goes to a light, then to the ign. switch. The sense lead goes to the heavy battery lead on the solenoid. There are some brackets available, but they seem pricey to me.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Posting Guru
1960 Ford F-100

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Check out the link. This is how we did it.

http://www.ranchwagon.com/tech/alt/alt.htm

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Posting Guru
1960 Ford F-100

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is one you can buy. http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.co...counter_2.html

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten
Garage is empty, add now

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Walston,I also used that one do-it-yourself plan from that ranchwagon site.It was easy,looks rather low-tech/stock,and is cheap.No elaborate fabrication necessary.There is a guy who occasionally sells a chrome bracket on EBay,for 119.00.Ouch!Steve.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

Dave58 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm in the middle of the ranchwagon conversion. The bracket fabrication and mointing went pretty well. Doing the wiring now. The only problem, the previous owner had rewired the leads to the voltage regulator with wires the didn't match the color code of the original wiring and I'm not an electrician.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1956, 1958, 1964, 292, alternator, block, convers, conversion, convert, f100, ford, generator, olders, wire, yblock