Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F250 4x4 power take-off on transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:56 AM
jason867
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'78 F250 4x4 power take-off on transfer case

Hey guys, something I've been meaning to ask, and I just remembered it while I was browsing the forums.

My dad had my truck since I was a kid, and he let me have it for my first vehicle.

Anyway, on the transfer case in this truck there is a small plate with a few bolts holding it on, my dad has always told me that this was for power take-off attachments. Is this correct?

If so, what can you guys tell me about it? I know next to nothing about power take-offs so any info is welcome...

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM
n9lhm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, it's for a PTO. The 205 transfer case, the 203 transfer case, and the NP 435 tranny all take different ones, though. BEWARE if you are going to buy one that you are not sure of the application.

The advantage of putting it on the transfer case instead of the transmission is that you can have multiple speeds forward, and a reverse, out of your PTO by shifting the transmission through the different gears with the transfer case in neutral. That's how I had my winch set up originally.
The downside is you have to have someone in the truck that's not 'manual transmission challenged' to operate it while you handle the winch. My wife and sons are .

So I converted mine to hydraulic drive off the power steering pump (and my snowplow lift and tilt too). MAN what an improvement. I have a long extension cord on the electric valves that control the winch,and now I can winch my tractor up on my truck while sitting in the tractor seat, steering it. I always attract a crowd of onlookers when I load and unload my tractor at shows.

Write back with any more questions.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM
jason867
More Turbo
swwweeeeeett!

I've got a c6 auto mated up to it, not sure which transfer case I've got though I'm sure I can find out easily...

Where would you find attachments for these things?

Since I have a automatic, it would work the same wouldn't it? I mean as far as putting the pto in reverse, 1 & 2 gear, and if I put it in drive, would it still shift as I put my foot to the floor?

Also, the pto on the transfer case turns all the time whether or not you have the transfer case in neutral, correct? To make my question clear, I'll give an example...

Say I have a post hole digger thingy attached directly to the pto, no clutches or what not. it will turn all the time won't it? it doesn't disengage the pto when in 2wd for example?

Thanks for your help, I searched through these forums and found nothing on pto's.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
n9lhm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PTO shifts in and out by sliding a gear into engagement with another gear in the gearbox that it is attached to. They can be shifted in and out from the cab by a pull cable, like on a lawn mower throttle control, or pneumatically, with air cylinders actuating them, if you have compressed air available (like on a heavy truck).

There are straight PTOs that have just one speed and direction, and reversible ones that allow you to shift them to run either forward or reverse. A winch typically has an internal reversing gear or is driven by a reversible PTO. When I installed my winch in my truck I didn't have either, so I got one to fit on my transfer case and allowed the transmission in the truck to do the 'reversing'.

So to answer your question, no, it doesn't have to run all the time.
If you have part-time four-wheel drive (4L, N, 2H, 4H on the shifter) you most likely have an NP 205 transfer case. If you have full-time four-wheel drive (Hi Lock, Hi Regular, Neutral, Low Regular, Low Lock) on the shifter you most likely have an NP 203 transfer case.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
jason867
More Turbo
Mine's part time. I was thinking it was the 205 anyway...